Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

They agreed a act which surely didn't have any of this since the Irish groups said they didn't want to force that, then the base kicked up and come Monday was off the table.

Most no balls and weak leadership party ever lol

1 |

If Donaldson is saying that type of thing then the fear factor is in full swing. Nobody is going to be forced to speak Irish. Dual road signs, dual government documentation and translation services in Stormont. Legal equality for Irish as well as English (and I think Ulster Scots). That is about it from what I can gather.

0 |

luggerotoole.com/2018/...

0 |

What a mess.

It seems some people on both sides have made serious movement to get us back to work. But they have to be cloak and dagger because their base is a bitter bag of idiots and frightened children. And it was too big a job to carry them back to reality.

Now we need to talk about who is representing me? Those I voted for have no local government and those who represent my area at national level don't take their seats. That is a disgrace.

Election with 6 weeks and border poll if we return a higher SF vote is where I see it. No way we can have direct rule when the Nationalist middle ground are having decisions imposed from Westminster with zero representation.

0 |

UpInArmsMa • 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
luggerotoole.com/2018/...

thats rough reading, it really does make you angry at the utter spinelessness of the DUP, why are these fuckers cowtowing to a small bigotted minority, the rest of the prods dont particularly give a fuck and if the language is not to be forced and i don't have some cunt in newtownabbey bourough council wasting money in changing sings in Jordanstown to read Baile an Iordáin as well then i'm happy, let them have access to it within government departments and funding for schools

1 |

give SF the ILA and walk away with ulster fucking usless fucking scots act and an amnesty for all soldiers and police from the troubles and most prods would say well fucking done arlene

0 |

Even when we have devolution we have crisis after crisis. Do we really miss this lot anyway as no decisions ever get made and the NHS never see's any improvement. New money released to ease some pressures in the public sector so country is hardly falling apart without them there useless and as much stick civil servants get at least we go to our jobs and keep things running while these two get paid bucket loads to do nothing wouldn't happen anywhere else.

0 |

Yeah NHS is defo going to see a marked improvement under direct rule with the Tory government at the reins lol

Aye people really delusional with all this NHS talk?

Could have swore we made our own money to make proper change compared to the rest of UK and we don't get hand outs.

0 |

I'm not on about direct rule that wont happen but that political body under GFA. If decision making isn't under SF and DUP hands you will see decisions made much quicker that's for sure.

Also major obsession with the word hand outs. There is people here who have British citizenships so to them they aren't hand outs. Its their money they pay there vat, tax and rates.

0 |

Lol

It's a hand out when they hand over what we earn in a grant And subsidise the economy. No?

0 |

Who's they the British Treasury, NI is part of the Union at the end of the day like it or not and a lot of people see it as their money no matter what way its handed over.

0 |

So Dublin are going to decide how money earned here is being spent? No thanks. I don't want anything but local people making decisions that affect us and that goes for MPs in Berkshire too

0 |

I'd prefer no local people had any say in it tbh. Local people are mainly nutters. We need a benevolent dictator to get shit done.

4 |

I'd rather a nutter whose door I can knock on making them rather than my relatives from Galway coming up to visit in future with even more of sense of superiority they have over us now

0 |

You make some valid points RP, but I think after all the debate, rhetoric and political cut and thrust in this thread we've finally boiled it down to one vitally important issue:

Pics of Gakway relatives?

1 |

*Galway*

Apologies, one-handed typing let me down.

1 |

eamonnmallie.com/2018/...

0 |

eamonnmallie.com/2018/...

0 |

I'm getting a database error on that last link cmk.....I wonder will Edwin pull his appearance on spotlight this eve!

0 |

Keep trying. It will load up. Mallie has just released the full draft so everyone is clicking it

0 |

Probably one of the best articles I've read on the whole thing

www.irishexaminer.com/...

0 |

So after 13+ months of negotiations and members of their own party drafting an agreement, prime ministers getting whisked in to complete a deal. They have done a complete u-turn and are now denying anything and everything ever even happened. Lol

Anyone any idea what the DUP are playing at?

I don't even sense there was massive discontent amongst the 'rank and file'

I mean what we're their voters gonna do.. Turn to the UUP?

0 |

One article I read suggested that they were just stringing SF along with no intention of a deal. With Stormont out of the picture they can focus on a hard Brexit with their right wing conservative buddies. And the rest can whistle for whatever it is that ails them. That doesn't make sense to me simply because they put quite a bit of effort into the talks it appears.

That's not to say they'll be happy enough with no deal. Sammy Wilson pretty much said so on the radio yesterday.

0 |

You know how crazy it's got.. Edwin Poots is the fucking moderate voice of reason. Lol

Fair play Edwin

The rest of them are breaking their backs to rubbish any chances of a deal.. And I have to say the sniggering arrogant tone is as bad as ever.
Never never never getting bandied about ffs.

Thought Eastwood spoke well in Westminster too

0 |

Poots??????

Fucking how shite is it if he’s the sensible one. Grade a cunt

0 |

we are doomed if that bellend is considered anything other than an utter fucking embarrassment

0 |

DUP are all over the place. They appear to have had a decent deal then something has happened. Would love to know what it is/what their thinking is/was. I'm not sure it's to do with their voters mainly. Not exactly a thorough study, but BBC interviewed folks around Ballymena and north Down and I don't think there was one person that said they shouldn't do a deal/should be no ILA. Most just want to see them earning their pay again and sorting other things out. I haven't really been looking hard, but most comments online I've seen regarding it on places which can be pretty polarised are the same.

See Michelle O'Neill is still being a cardboard cutout too.

0 |

From what I can see and think there is internal struggles in the DUP. The Westminster MPs seem to be pushing and directing things. If they were ever going to do a deal then they backed themselves into a corner with the strong words about never allowing an ILA or bowing to SF demands. They need to tone back the rhetoric. Not sure how they can deny there wasn't a deal on the table. Why go so far and clearly have an ILA in the deal without putting an objection in? There is no leadership or forward thinking in the party.

0 |

SF would have been going back on their words too though, so it's not as if the DUP were coming out any worse. Solo ILA, marriage equality being left, Arlene having to stand down regarding RHI.. RHI in general. That was the main reason they brought down Stormont in the first place and it was their first 'red line', yet its barely been mentioned since the first couple of months after they walked out over a year ago. The DUP would have had plenty to spin.

Definitely infighting going on in DUP though. They're all over the place. All their interviews lately have seemed a bit out of sync too.

0 |

I think that Marriage equality would have been either left to a Stormont vote with agreement not to use petition of concern. SF did move a hell of a lot. The agreement on military covenant would have been a real concern to me tbh. With regards to RHI, there has been a lot coming out in the inquiry which maybe solves some of the issues around AF. Personally I think she should have still resigned. Pure arrogance on her part and again not seen to be bowing to SF pressure.

0 |

*or left to Westminister to introduce (relates to marriage equality)

0 |

DUP are built on opposing SF and anything Irish. After saying they would never accept an ila and actually mocking and laughing at the idea I can't see how they have the ability to turn that round. They are too stubborn and blinkered to see the positives.

I have zero confidence in SF and DUP ever working together in some kind of shared decision making.

0 |

asking nFoster to stand down over RHI is not viable now. In the post scandal election she received a political mandate from the DUP voters.

0 |

RHI inquiry hasn't been kind to her, but unless the report comes back saying she willfully ignored warnings, then she'll breeze past it just the same as most other hings.

0 |

I'm going to invoke Godwin's law and point out that Hitler had a mandate from the people too, it shouldn't preclude calls for doing the honorable and decent thing and stepping down.

1 |

It hasn't been that kind. It has highlighted that her and her underlings deliberately ignored several warnings by different people. It show incompetence on her part and the civil service. Couldn't trust to go to the shop for you level of incompetence.

0 |

i'm not saying there shouldn't be calls for her to stand down, but as a political red line in negotiations it is a no-goer.

only 43% of germans voted fot hitler. It was after that he gained power he began the move to a dictatorship and after that call for him to stand down would result in impriusonment or death

1 |

AndyW • 22 minutes ago
The agreement on military covenant would have been a real concern to me tbh

Why?

0 |

what is the military covenant? it gives seriously injured military veterans priority health treatment?

0 |

SF certainly lost a lot of LGBT voters last night, proof that they only care about votes and would of went into government with soley the ILA. Mask has slipped quite a bit of late on their whole loving thy neighbour equality crack.

0 |

Isn't that just a way of ensuring they are accepted and their service acknowledged?

I'd say surely it's just a continuation of a UK legislation and wouldn't mean nationalist communities would be forced into the streets waving union jacks and cheering home the troops?

0 |

Asking those as questions btw as I don't know the full stipulations of it

0 |

"only 43% of germans voted fot hitler"

Fairly sure the DUP had less than 40 percent of the vote in last year's elections.

1 |

So what is the timeline for what comes next?

They talk about budgets needing signed off, but what about Direct Rule. How's that to be made official?

The electorate are totally in the dark about everything it seems from all angles. Democracy it ain't

0 |

I've no doubt that it's the orange order pulling the strings in this

0 |

Is the military covenant to do with amnesty for members of state forces who murdered innocents?

0 |

And of course the orange are pushing/pulling DUP. They always have. Remember they got into the HAAS negotiations? Bloody joke.

1 |

There was no mention of an armed forces amnesty from what i could read

0 |

the DUP could've easily sold an ILA on the back of an armed forces and police amnesty, shinners want their ILA then give the brits and ex RUC members the same amnesty the terrorists & murderers got

0 |

Would have been 'fun' to watch sf prevaricate on that one

0 |