Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

That's the problem right there dufunk, your reply lol

Even before it was a major issue they where never going to accept it.

1 |

I'd vote for it to pass if it went to a public democratic vote.

It's also obvious SF are using it for political gain beyond what it's intended for. Best thing DUP could have done was accept it and get some browny points. The more the dig in the better it is for SF

0 |

You need to put the shoes on the other foot for once baz, SF have made a mockery off such a beautiful language even the genuine irish speakers agree, it has been a whind up tool for them for so long. We have two parties who are only good at one thing and that whinding each other up.

Going back to the SDLP I don't understand why they are seen at useless by the nationalist community as someone stated. Surely the less hardline approach and whinding works much better you cant say they sit on the fence either.

Personally think if SDLP and Alliance ran this place we would have a bright future for the next generation but lets be honest we are fuck and a UI will not change the divide and haterid that exists.

0 |

www.nidirect.gov.uk/se... Some amount of pothole about Belfast hi!

1 |

You vote DUP ya rocket lol

You are fooling no one here.

I don't need to put a shoe on any foot. I see it clearly from both sides. I just apply sense to it, and it's telling me doesn't matter if shinners are using it as a tool of not. That's not the reason DUP and UUP don't want it. Just a smokescreen, just another thing apparently the taigs are getting which is stupid when you look at the history of the Irish language and what sort of prominent unionists also spoke.

Plus SDLP alliance and everyone else are supporting the language issue being sorted with a act.

2 |

See it clearly from both sides!! All you see is fog mate!

0 |

The lads deranged. He genuinely believes he has some sort of moral authority over SF voters because we're all such hardliners stuck in the past.

All we care about apparently is this place failing.. Not like we're going about our lives working with people from the unionist community every single day.

Let me spell it out dufunk.. Wanting a united Ireland doesn't make you a bitter taig.

Just keep reminding yourself of that before anymore engagement

0 |

Fog lol

What's there to see? Tell me what I'm missing here in thinking there should be no issue with languages?

0 |

Muzak you have made it clear enough that you want it to fail here with past comments, its plain as day that your stuck in a bubble and obsessed with SF and cant really see why people would dis the party that is part of your make up and identity its sad. We have seen zero progress in 20 years yet you cant even acknowledge that SF were the slightest to blame!

0 |

SF have been a disaster in power...bullied by DUP and distancing themselves from responsibility at every turn. Their only option really was to bring it down. They weren't really left much choice as they were becoming guilty by association to both Tory policy and DUP meddling in things like RHI

0 |

Correct me if I am wrong was the agreement not made on a three standalone acts on IL, Ulster Scots and British Culture but SF put out that it was a standalone IL act which got the bitters up that voted for DUP who then put out that under no circumstances would they be happy if DUP made agreement on that?
That seems to be the jist of what I read on it

0 |

It seems to be that yes it was 3 but that wasnt communicated for some reason.

0 |

You read the news letter Glenn? Lol

Oj big mawn.

I'm not sure what the agreement was because over weekend the worse leaker ever was claiming a deal getting done then DUP went 180 so not sure what to make off everything at the moment.

1 |

Only paper I read m8

Nah sure even that Mallie links allude to that
Neither party can go back on what they promised their electorate to get the votes in last election

Though all this UI talk is a bit much and premature you not see the video doing the round of the Taoiseach getting stuck in to McDonald and SF? Ha

0 |

Link?

0 |

This was a Victory for the DUP and will be worth it if there is no General Election until 2022…

www.abitleftandabitlos...

0 |

Pretty sure it's from a few months ago RP can't remember exactly when I saw it

0 |

That link is a pretty depressing potential outcome albeit not a very likely outcome imo

0 |

The way I see it:

SF - Wanted stand alone Irish Language Act
DUP - Didn't want any sort of Irish Language Act

So the compromise, on both sides, would have been the middle ground i.e. the multiple acts/several 'protections' combined into the one act.

Then rumours of a potential agreement starting coming out before both parties could get their spin out to soften their supporters, then the PMs arrived, then SF started talking more about stand alone act and DUP started saying more about no standalone act (probably as damage control to stop their bases from thinking they were going against their previous promises)...

So here we are.

0 |

Why are they trying to pull the wool over the eyes of their base?

Politicians like

0 |

It's not just Irish language that is the problem.

Gay marriage is also a issue, basically simple rights for all. Was another red line. Getting silly that this place ain't in line with even the UK on a lot of topics. Flegs being 1 lol

1 |

Gay marriage wasn't even on the table for this one. Sounds like it wasn't going to be a deal breaker.

0 |

I thought it sounded like the other issues had agreement though, Baz. It was IFA that was causing the problems.

Not sure how they were going to get around the marriage equality issue, though.

0 |

Serious, s2?

0 |

It was one of the red lines when it first started. Think the Irish language act was the main one they needed to sort first before any or agreements.

Bring on direct rule

0 |

No way gay marriage was agreed lol

Not a chance

0 |

SF. Equality and rights for all*

*but irish language speakers come first

0 |

The agreement on friday was for ILA, Ulster Scots and Culture only. Gay marraige was not included. And they all agreed they would re-form executive based on Friday night's agreement. So yes, langauge was more important than gay marriage.

0 |

Do DUP even have the word "Equality" on their manifesto. Anywhere?

0 |

The DUP vision is 4 paragraphs long www.mydup.com/about-u and they talk about "Equality of Opportunity"

0 |

lol at "We want the name of Northern Ireland to be synonymous with progress. "

0 |

Is talking about equality a lot but not actually abiding by it or being true to it any better?

0 |

Lol

0 |

They usually go "Themuns cant have equality unless theseuns get equality." So the equality of sexual orientation is only acceptable if religious groups are free to discriminate against them.

0 |

Nolan show can reveal loyalist Jamie Bryson has been invited to Westminster to the NI Affairs Committee this Wednesday to help ‘explore innovative ideas’ into devolution and democracy .
DUP MP’s are on the committee.
Bryson will be on Nolan Ulster tomorrow .

Tweeted by lardy lad a few mins ago....ahahahaha if this is serious we are absolutely the laughing stock of the cosmos.

0 |

That's bullshite I say

0 |

Don't think it is he seems to be some kind of advisor to the DUP in all but name. As unbelievable as that sounds

0 |

Ballicks, he's a fucking class A balloon no way he's an advisor to anyone but the Willie Frazer fan club

0 |

Swear down

0 |

Do we know why your man was shot in Poleglass? Police saying it was the dissys.. Was he one himself?

0 |

www.belfasttelegraph.c...

0 |

Class...when all else fails send Jamie. Hopefully it's live on BBC Parliament.

I wonder if the committee have an email address? Someone send them the Amazon reviews of his books

0 |

On one review of his Four Men Had A Dream masterpiece "Fantastic work. I believe that the critical response to this work, Bryson's magnum opus, has failed to sufficiently engage with the themes approached during the course of the narrative. The kafka-esque sense of alienation present throughout, the fine treatment of the construction of identity in times of adversity, and the almost Joycean inventiveness with regards the written word merit a more equitable consideration of its artistry. If you were to read one book in, say, the next four minutes, it should be this one."

2 |

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw...

0 |

Lol

"Whilst there is a monkey with infinite time on his hands bashing out Shakespeare, his lesser known sibling with finite time on his hands, has produced this."

2 |

Lol

0 |

that monkey wrote a book lol

0 |

Fair play to Naomi, it is a joke
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

1 |

If that fat cunt Nolan didn't keep giving him a platform, we wouldn't have heard from him again.

This is why cunts like Trump are where the are, got loads of free press from the media which tried to ridicule him.

1 |

right lads, whats this standalone ILA all about, heard Jeffery Donaldson on the radio this morning saying the talks brokedown because they will not have an ILA that forces people to speak or learn Irish, now hes DUP so i automatically think hes a cunt but surely SF arent that fucking daft as to want an ILA that makes learning, speaking, Dual signage EVERYWHERE a part of LAW??

0 |