Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

Imagine the utopia we'd all be living in if everyone was like Flash.

3 |

Viewing figures for Utd matches would be zero unless they lost in which case they'd be retrospectively uplifted to the entire population.

1 |

Liverpool would have a population of 7.5 billion.

1 |

don't know if i could handle the coarseness of the language, tbf

1 |

It's fairly obvious plenty of people are cunts. The Tories are in power in UK and DUP get loads of votes in the North of Ireland.

1 |

god bless the tories and all who sail in her!

0 |

Sure Fine Gael are in power in the south. Theyre the irish tories. Plenty of people in ireland vote for them too.

0 |

I'm 30 in a couple of weeks and still couldn't tell you which one of FG/FF were the anti-Treaty party. been abandoned by them.

0 |

i thought all southern parties were tories

0 |

30 in yer ballicks, love.

0 |

FG might have been more right-wing in the past, last few years suggest that FF are trying to shift rightwards though, on social issues at least. Did fuck all to support Marriage Equality vote, and are avoiding the abortion issue completely.

0 |

So everyone is a Tory apart from Flash and his beloved Liverpool.

0 |

And Soyuz.

0 |

And me.

All eirigi voters tho.

1 |

The Super Taig Posse

1 |

imgur.com/gallery/tQl2...

36% want a UI down south. That's higher than I thought it would be.

0 |

You have to be careful, you could be labelled a free stater if you start acknwledging irish parliament, as is my understanding of the matter

0 |

Interesting that Northern Catholics want devolution, not United Ireland there Andy

0 |

I would presume that they're sticking with the only show in town Matthew. Better to be ruled by local politicians (although incompetent) than either London or a cash strapped Dublin.

0 |

Surprised at:
People in the republic are more bigoted than the those in the North.
13% of prods have never been down south for a night.
44% of N.I. call themselves British, i bet if you asked the rest of the UK they would be majority calling themselves English, Scottish or Welsh.

0 |

The reason we have a subvention from gb is failed government. Incorporated into an all island state with some kind of commonwealth status for the North would see us being run by Dublin were we surely would see government who cares about us and the economy would be allowed to actually flourish. The incompetence of nationalism to develop tangible thoughts and ideas that would give people a reason to unite the states is actually a fucking travesty. Sinn Fein/SDLP appear to want the debate to get under way so they can depend on unionism to make a pigs ear of things as per and thus progress the argument. Its gonna a bit of strategic thinking and the current crop are currently incapable of cutting the mustard.

0 |

Dublin government won't care about the north though. Look at their record for border counties.

0 |

I disagree. Belfast would flourish and all the infrastructure places like Derry and Omagh are crying out for would actually get developed. The southern economy is on the up while we are on the way down.
Why anyone wants to be British is beyond me. Look what they have done in the middle east.

We will never have anything but sectarianism plagued government here because that is how this sorry state was formed. With a dirty little sectarian pen.

0 |

Down south though they put all the money into Dublin and many other areas are neglected. You may see areas like Derry and Belfast benifit but the rest of the country wouldnt see the same cash injection, in fact it would greatly decrease

0 |

i can't wait until there's a United Ireland.

0 |

www.judecollins.com/20...

Think the above is a decent summation of that travesty last night.

0 |

I had to turn that show off as I do often do with Nolan. Unbearable

0 |

"re-united Ireland"

Truest comment ever

1 |

i can't wait until there's a Reunited Ireland

2 |

It's inevitable really. I think we'll see the end of the union before there's a united Ireland though.

0 |

Reunited*

0 |

Defo think the union will be gone in my lifetime.

Welsh prob want to stay part of it.

It prob tbe English who will end up wanting to end it all.

0 |

I've no probs with a non Brit ruled united Ireland in the future. People will still find something to fight over though

0 |

The chinese will be over soon to take over everything. Itll be a united ireland but not as you thought

0 |

Weunitad Illand

1 |

Question Time in Belfast in a few weeks. Hope to see the Great Commentators of the board there.

0 |

gimme 2 questions

0 |

Think for yourself.

0 |

rather two topical issues... what topical in the real world?

0 |

Real world. Heh.

0 |

went for climate change ... due to the upcoming paris summit... and the effects of cut on NI economy

0 |

Do you want a round of applause?

0 |

a pat on the back would suffice... maybe a wee bell ring

0 |

NI economy has improved drastically in the last 3 years serious jobs announcements a lot of well paid jobs in IT and engineering coming here even outside of Belfast we have seen unemployment fall drastically even derry is starting to see the benefits only worry to our economy becoming weaker is cuts to public sector but with all these voluntary exit schemes it may actually help the economy most are close to retirement anyway with big redundancies and all the experience will be lost they will have to recruit again in a few years. You look at the likes of Letterkenny around 20 thousand population and 3/4 thousand are unemployed they are badly ignored by Dublin. 10 Billion block grant no matter how good ROI economy gets they will never be able to afford us, ROI people in general when they use there head will be glad if things stay the way they are you think they care that much about noisy nordies!

0 |

Britain can't afford us either. Either way we are a basket case.

I'd take my chances tho than be constantly begging for hand outs from across the water. Control.l our distany lol

0 |

There would be a lot of people around the border areas that would like to live in the south but reason they don't is due to cushy benefits and health system.

0 |

We are mainly a public sector driven economy those jobs just would not be on same scale if there was a united Ireland do you think Dublin would have those jobs equally divided out no chance!

0 |

Only way there will ever be a United Ireland, imo, is if Northern Ireland has completely devolved government first, essentially independent.

0 |

we need to fend for ourselves dufunk. No one said it be easy, but as we stand we are unsustainable anyway. not like it's class up here as it is. people get on like its brilliant up here and down south is some 3rd world country. Im not delusional to not know there is no bad problems down south, but same time massive problems up here too. The place costs money and basically ain't a 3rd world country because it's getting bankrolled by debt.

0 |

Take the bitter blinkers off Barry and enjoying suckling the big Brit tit

0 |