Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

dufunk • 23 minutes ago
Are you having a laugh?! This board certainly doesn't represent ordinary people that's for sure its about as backward and not open to change as you could get.

Just lol.

Takki.. your arrogance in this debate is a microcosm of the wider problem with your friends in the DUP.
I'd imagine every time you make a point the collective SF vote in the forum goes up.. lol

Our very own SF canvasser.. keep it up m8 we'll be the biggest party in no time

0 |

Dufunk, I thought you've alluded to in the past of being unionist, apologies if you're not.

But if you have equal negative views of SF and DUP, I just found it strange that you would comment on SF and Finances, without mentioning DUP and RHI, because that just comes across as a DUPer kind of thing to say.

1 |

Choco im happy for NI to stay in the union as I think its our best option for now and I do see myself as a british citizen but the term unionist is broad and hard lined one. This doesn't mean I am not open to a UI if it benefits us a lot greater than what we have now. The problem many have is that SF use the irish language and UI as a political thing it whinds people up the language they use and the hard lined approach sometimes along with their past. SDLP always had a milder approach to things and that helped a lot. Our two main parties are far to extremist and hard lined which isn't good for either side and doesn't promote trust that's for sure.

0 |

Wee chip calling someone arrogant lol

"we'll be the biggest party in no time"

arrogant
ˈarəɡ(ə)nt/Submit
adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities

0 |

SDLP done way more for derry and the north west than SF they have let their area down and now the 7m for the airport is in jeopardy over no executive its just getting out off hand, people want progress and it just wont happen if either are the biggest parties.

0 |

Progress? You're having a laugh, we've no chance.

"Mrs O'Neill said "the North isn't British" when asked at the Conservative Party conference if an Irish language act would make it less British.

Mrs Foster told the same audience she did not want to turn the event into a row, "but Northern Ireland is British".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

Grim that we still need to have the kind of argument you see on the Facebook page of the Belfast Tele. We are governed by children and dinosaurs.

1 |

Irish children and dinosaurs though

2 |

It's not far off 20 years since the GFA and we still have to listen to that nonsense. as far as anybody should be concerned you can says its part of the moons of Jupiter if it makes you happy. just handle your budget ya fool.

1 |

What do you think of the extra £1 billion the DUP agreed to get from Westminster, choc? Useful?

0 |

It probably would be if they funded a stand alone irish language act out of it to rub it up the shinners

0 |

Being the biggest party hardly matters when the next largest majority party can bring down the assembly. It'll see saw for years between the two as different voter bases are mobilised

0 |

unless they sorted the petition of concern

0 |

Takki, did they spin it as £1billion, when 1/2 billion was already earmarked? Can't complain that it's extra money, on the other hand they've fucked NI supporting Brexit. Doesn't suit out wee country at all. I wonder how many billion worse off we'll be in the long term...

0 |

Time to ditch D'Hondt and force DUP and Sinn Fein to actually be responsible for being in power, imo.

0 |

Interesting write up on the option of voluntary coalition

luggerotoole.com/2017/...

0 |

Takki, if Sinn Fein were a bit more racist, homophobic and generally evil would that be enough for you to consider voting for them?

Or do you like the fact they love the Queen as well as those other things?

0 |

lol good try, TJ

0 |

Your refusal to answer has been noted. I will draw my own conclusions as to why you are so reticent on the matter.

0 |

Course you will lad, I wouldn't expect anything less. No doubt they'll be as delusional as your initial queries, too.

0 |

"Takki, did they spin it as £1billion, when 1/2 billion was already earmarked? Can't complain that it's extra money, on the other hand they've fucked NI supporting Brexit. Doesn't suit out wee country at all. I wonder how many billion worse off we'll be in the long term..."

www.belfastlive.co.uk/...

You do realise that if the above goes ahead it will be seen by SF as a benefit towards a UI and the whole support of a brexit by the DUP could be a shot in the foot and the special status as they see it could be a threat for NI in the Union.

Anyway regardless I would support NI getting some sort of special status and remain in the single market if it means we are in a better position with some of the perks of brexit also? Along with keeping good trade with the rest of the UK and ROI. We may not be worse off in the long run at all time will tell.

0 |

Dufunk, perhaps you're right about Sinn Fein's agenda. Not sure why you're pointing that at me because I'm no advocate of Sinn Fein.

I'm struggling to think of benefits of Brexit apart from exporters, and it's not like we have much of an export industry to speak of.

0 |

This thread went full retard long time ago.

All you can really do is rip the piss out of the bitters as it's impossible to engage in adult conversation when people are so angry and blinkered

0 |

Muzka • 51 minutes ago
This thread went full retard long time ago.

Should be right up your street then. Lol

0 |

It is mate, I love laughing at your type from my window as you trip and stumble up the street shouting bitter nonsense.

It is rather comical

0 |

I'll just leave this here..

'Muzka • 2 days, 8 hours ago
Oh those evil Brits blah blah potato famine, blah blah bloody Sunday blah blah collusion blah blah bobby sands etc

change the record ffs'

0 |

lol still raging at that bait

Wee Snowflake :)

0 |

And please change the record, we are all bored now, time to move on m8

0 |

Ladz,

DUCKY ÁR LÁ

1 |

*SINN FEIN'S ADAMS SAYS SEEKING A DEAL WITH DUP ON POWER-SHARING

0 |

Have they not been doing that for 4 months?

0 |

goto direct rule, let the Brits run things see how SF and their supporters like dem apples

0 |

All these potential job loses in belfast might add even more pressure to get it back up and running.

0 |

They can do fuck all about the job losses if they have an assembly anyway

0 |

Do SF not want direct rule as they don't want to have anything to do with deciding on a budget? Similar tactics were used when the welfare budget was needing dealt with.

0 |

It's only them aul institutionalised loyalists at Shorts anyway. SF doesn't care about them jobs

0 |

Surely sf have far more chance of their proposals being met by direct rule than dup. Direct rule would be better than this shambles

0 |

You're boy Feeny on the View last night basically said no chance of a deal and that back in Jan when the all Ireland meeting of the Republican movement took place they were calling for the fall of the institutions. Nothing has changed so unless they want to go against the old guard forget it.

0 |

Bring it down. Fuck the jobs. Back on the dole hurt the Brits in the pocket........aint that how it goes again

1 |

Playing the long game aren't they. Waiting on a Corbyn Premiership which is a nailed on certainly at the next elections. Even if the Tories were strong and stable which they aren't, they'd be voted in after 8 years of rule. Isn't that how it goes unless you're Blair or Thatcher?
Then deal with Corbyn who will be much more favourable to his friends Sinn Fein. Can't see much of a stink about losing the 6 counties in post-Brexit inward England. What I think is going on.

0 |

This post on Slugger:

Obelisk
2 days ago
There is one major lesson to be drawn from this poll.

The belief embodied by the DUP and the UUP that as long as they circled the wagons and refused to concede anything that everything would be fine has been shown to be a delusion.

Unionism seems to have operated under the assumption that their declining demographics were simply an inconvenience easily ignored.. They could carry on as before, they could demand the enshrined supremacy of the planter over the Gael, and they would get away with it.

Why would they get away with it? Because the assumption is and has been that no matter what they did, no matter how much they dug in their heels that when push came to shove the soft middle would ALWAYS break in favour of the Union.

This poll puts the lie to that. This poll shows that a century of received wisdom is now dangerous folly. Brexit could very easily be the straw that breaks the Union's back. The moment when the soft middle realised they were throwing good money after bad, that the Union might no longer deliver for them. Not to mention how they felt so contemptuous of Nationalism that they felt free to jeopardise, by their support of Brexit, the one thing Nationalism treasured above all. The frictionless, invisible border. The one thing guaranteed to enrage Nationalism and wake it from it's long apathy.

How petty, how arrogant, how insecure they were to do that. Did they truly believe that they could keep subjecting everyone to their own narrow vision and that everyone else would suffer it for all time?

And let's not forget Unionism's attitude to issues such as climate change, same sex marriage, reproductive rights and their attitude to immigrants. In their madness they have anchored Unionism, not just one party but the ideology itself, to beliefs and practices that are scorned by the young.

It may turn out the pensioners on voting day now but that tactic will have serious reprecussions in years to come. Progressive attitudes are anathema to official Unionism. Where will that leave the young to turn as post Brexit Britain curdles and sours within itself?

The type of Unionism offered by the DUP is a death sentence for the Union in a north that is majority not Protestant fundamentalist, majority female, majority Irish/Northern Irish and majority progressive.

Reunification can happen in our lifetimes. Will Unionism try to change in an attempt to stabilise the Union even if it means sacrificing the nature of the Union as they wish to preserve it, or do what they always do? Retreat to the wagons and again dare the soft middle to pull the plug on the Union.

This is the first poll to show the soft middle is beginning to think on it's options. They should be getting worried about the coming years.

1 |

It boils down to a big up the RA just doesn't it.

Some Mother's Son

0 |

I've been saying it for years.. the best thing they could do to try to save the Union is to embrace the gays and open the bookies on a Sunday

0 |

The union seems so silly in this day and age

0 |

Bigtime. I don't even think it's gonna need much persuading anymore.. people will catch themselves on and think wtf do I care about the royal family

0 |

I've been thinking that for the last 10-15 years but sadly people think not voting staunch unionism is a vote for republicanism and they crawl but into their shite shell

0 |

true.

let's change that mindset.. together!

0 |

After Brexit you could expect any border poll to be rife with misinformation and spin from both sides. you can bet the DUP and SF couldn't put much of a truthful economic case.

I mean Paisley trolling this week saying the best thing the Republic could do is leave the EU with GB for economic reasons.

0 |

I've pointed this out to you before, muzakone, but the only way you influence minds in this debate is to push them towards unionism. You're like the DUP secret weapon...

1 |

Anyone know what the current civil service workforce numbers are?

0 |

Not sure how. Alliance is the best alternative for prods but they would struggle to connect when DUP have such a paranoia stranglehold on their voters.

It needs SF to promote a prod inclusive united Ireland more and work closer to alliance as a viable voting choice for pissed off unionists. Alliance and SF putting together an inclusive exit strategy from the UK and have it at as a voting option with both sides of stay and remain given a fair voice rather than having it as a demand. Rather than SF pushing for freedom and end of British rule with DUP pushing for staying part of the union and the paranoia that if a united Ireland happens prods will be chased from their homes.

Both parties oversimplify an extremely complicated situation and that suits their voters.

Of course that's all wishing bullshit and would involve hard working politicians to do their job. More chance of point scoring and mud slinging than any type of working together

Cunts

1 |