Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

Eh? They do stop everywhere takki. You like being contrary, don't you?

0 |

No, I mean if they stopped at a load more places.

0 |

I'm not asking for more stops. I'm asking for express services and trains that actually get to Belfast before a car does.

Either way the article is well thought out and pretty much nail on the head IMO

1 |

Just get a bike sure.

1 |

Takki has guesses and your man has stats and maps.

I'm swaying towards the map guy on this one tbh tbf

1 |

It's pretty much common sense as to why the majority of infrastructure spending has been around the most densely and business rich parts of Northern Ireland. You just want to see it differently. Blinkers, yet again. ;)

0 |

* densely populated

0 |

Takki, pretty obvious doesn't add up. Motorway to Dungannon or around Ballymena. Both of which are not exactly the hub of business and both of which are less populated than the north West. I could go on but I'm not sure there's much point.

0 |

And my 'guess' was in regards every country probably not spending on infrastructure perfectly evening by population density. Again you completely disregarded the bit in my post that you dont want to acknowledge. Unless of course you know of a country that spreads its infrastructure spending perfectly evenly across it's entire map (you love yer maps ye cunt yee).

0 |

You saying those places should have motorways, Andy? That's a bit unfair.

0 |

*shouldnt

0 |

Anything that gets one out of Ballymena a bit quicker is to be welcomed tbf.

4 |

I am contradicting your statement why it's "pretty obvious" why infrastructure is where it currently is with two glaring examples of not pretty obvious decisions. Derry's metropolitan area is the 4th largest on the island of Ireland behind Dublin, Cork and Belfast. Also the second city in NI. It is also the only city on the island not connected by motorway in any way. coincidence that it is historically and currently a nationalist majority area with history of political decisions going against that area? Not really coincidence at all IMO when you consider the history of Northern Ireland being a "protestant state for protestant people".

1 |

Being serious, I'll concede that Derry should have better transport links. Derry is a great city and deserves better. It would also help with its social issues too, I'd imagine.

0 |

A train to Enniskillen would be sweet while we're at it.

0 |

Would you even go there though m8?

1 |

I practically live there these days. Can drive the road blindfold. It's a great road but no reason why there can't be a rail link. There used to be I believe.

0 |

Derry has nothing to offer except jumped up republican wannabes like yerself Andy and a sub standard technical college. Why would we make it easier to get there?

0 |

Brits obviously keeping the taigs down by providing sub standard road networks. Classic move

1 |

Exactly what occurred. Built an autobahn to Craigavon instead of Derry or Dublin.

0 |

Here as. 1920 rail line compared to now.

0 |

*ss

0 |

Shane buddy as usual you wade into a topic with nothing but insults and utter tripe. Have you anything of actual value to add?

0 |

If Belfast has a natural attraction to business due to its population density and better infrastructure then why does it still need a disproportionate level of public funds? InvestNI have been shown to be biased in recent times with their activities in promoting economic growth, in addition to the infrastructure investment the article focuses on.

Mo money mo problems is it?

Anyway...the reason why I didn't acknowledge your request to go out and find a country which spreads it's infrastructure investment evenly is because the onus ain't on me here. You are trying to refute the guys stats by saying it's the same in other countries but nothing to support that statement. I am not the one needing to do some work here.

0 |

Has Derry anything of value to add?

0 |

*but have provided nothing

0 |

So that's a yes, you've nothing of value to add.

0 |

Despite all things we are talking about good links in transport is a complex issue and probably as good as we can get right now without huge public investment

luggerotoole.com/2017/...

0 |

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...
Theres loads of areas in uk dont have a motorway. Bit of a pishy arguement considering some of those area have much higher population density than derrylondonderry.

0 |

It doesn't mention population density of areas where there are no motorways on that link

0 |

Who's talking about the UK? Ireland is much smaller in scale and its much more manageable to connect urban centres with road and rail. Motorway isn't what will happen anyway. We don't even have dual carriageway. It's single track road for the majority of it. 19th century roads in the 21st century. So don't be mistaken that it's just motorway I'm taking about. So in reality it's not such a "pishy argument"

0 |

I wasnt refering to your post i was mid type. Just refering to the general sectarian bitterness of not having an extra lane and metal strip down the middle of the road on the drive to a town of 70k people.

0 |

The irish government doesnt seem to think that area of Ireland is 'managable' for a motorway either. Maybe you should direct some of your anger at them andyw.

0 |

That extra lane or extra speed getting from a to b is massive for business decisions on where businesses will setup. It's makes a difference. 70k? 100k urban and 240k metro area would be more accurate.

0 |

Ah but again, you're wrong. It thinks it's very important. They have built motorway to Galway and limerick in the south which have less people than the north west. They have also recently restored funding for for the a5 which they believe is essential and overdue investment.

0 |

Probably better to build a motorway direct to dublin anyway. Once brexit kicks in and the union falls noone will want to drive to belfast.

0 |

London has 11m people i think. So it'd be equivalent to a city the size of Birmingham (England's second city as it goes) not having a motorway link to the capital. Or even an express train.

0 |

My logic is likely totally warped there. I am no statistician

0 |

The reason the south cares about the A5 though is about connecting Dublin with Donegal (and Derry as a much lower priority). The UK won't fund it directly because the A6 provides the same connection for them with much less money involved.

0 |

Agree Matthew but in reality Derry is now at the border and you can consider part of north West donegal as part of the Derry metro area. There's 20k people per day commuting to work across the border to Derry from donegal.

0 |

Hey stu.. Derry was the city of culture m8. don't be jelly. and we have raves too

0 |

Derry is great. Be nice to have anywhere in Donegal an hour's drive away as well. The infrastructure links are just shocking. 1 lane carriageway at Moneynick there, unbelievable.
At least they are steamrolling over Seamus Heaney's grave there in record time.

0 |

Wasn't right that the dual carriageway connecting Ballymena to North Coast got the go ahead and is now completed before the A5 or A6 can even really get started. Sure even the Strabane to Derry new road is put back again, have you seen that road has to be one of the busiest and more dangerous in NI. I think the derry-strabane council population makes up well over 10% of the population and is growing at a rate of 5% a year were Belfast isn't as people are moving to the suburbs.

Strabane has to be the most deprived town in the north and really it shouldn't be when it connects people to Donegal and Derry from all over, most people aren't happy with the new council as Derry will get everything!

0 |

Andys got a big house in strabane

0 |

5 bedroom house in Derry waxy if you must know.

0 |

One for each wife?

Wee joke Andy, miss you in the footy thread buddy.

0 |

I don't miss you and lets keep it that way.

0 |

Bit rude Andy. Didn't mean to upset you.

1 |

how many rooms you got waxy?

1 |

Andy went off on you there lad

1 |