Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

It's not rocket science. Enabled peace by no longer being the single biggest blocker to it. They held the nationalist community to ransom really be the end and had lost most of the support they once enjoyed due to their indiscriminate attacks.

It's not praising them at all for being peacemakers. It just recognising the illegitimate power they held over their communities at that time and it needed to end for any chance at peace

0 |

It's like playground bully bringing peace and harmony to break time by not punching the shit out of anymore. He is responsible yes, but it's not much to praise him for

0 |

AndyW is like a weedy wee mate of the bully who secretly fancies him and goes round telling the playground how class and dead on he actually is if you just get to know him.

0 |

Wonder what sort of broken home and experience produced the poor bully.

0 |

Hah, I don't even know you cleandirty but you seem like a first class knob.

0 |

Takki - why do you suppose the IRA came into existence?

0 |

To give the unemployed something to do?

0 |

Exactly.. work.
and somewhere to live.. and the right to vote.

To smash the orange state.
done alright

0 |

100 years later and still under British rule ffs if you can't sort shit out in a century what are you at. They really need to employ some new tacticians, maybe get an alan sugar reality show for a new revolutionary that can eventually lead the country to freedom

I'm seriously bored of it now, needs new frontmen, thee tunes and maybe some nice uniforms designed by Kanye west

0 |

I was with you until Kanye.

0 |

Need something to keep the younguns interested. Maybe get Connor McGregor involved

0 |

100 years of struggle, and it turns out the best way to destroy the Union is to just sit back and leave it to the English and the Loyalists.

0 |

No idea really, UpInArmsMa. They didn't really achieve much, that's for sure. Other than wrecking the place and families for generations. What a great lagacy, let's name a playpark after one of them.

0 |

What about the Robinson Centre? Named after big Peter Robinson. He had an aul go at a Garda station with a bunch of loyalist, was arrested and was convicted. Not exactly the same level of violence as themuns but he's had a leisure centre named after him.

0 |

No idea really. Lol

Nothing to see here

0 |

Maybe it is worth investigating. Otherwise, to be fair, you're just another stupid cunt who doesn't know what he's talking about. Go educate yourself if you want to talk with the big boys.

0 |

Ouch

3 |

haha wind your neck in

0 |

www.belfastlive.co.uk/...

0 |

Whats the view on this guy? I find it hard to believe he fooled the marines to let him in. Had a deep hatred of the state, brits and loyalists the wage a dirty war. I would tend more to believe his side of the story that he was away from all that but had these mates from way back when that dragged him back in. Not the part about being frozen with fear though, he was a fuckin marine after all.

0 |

Lee Clegg murdered 2 people and got 4 years. Whilst a liteny of crimes and Bendict Arnoldesque in their nature, something not right with the skewed sentence here.

Still, doubt any millennial fags will be out rioting and shit like this what happened with Clegg.

0 |

All his protests are undone because he was also growing and smoking weed. And posing for photos with it.
Got battered one time in Larne, obviously brain is injury messed with his decision making process.

More reason to avoid the skunk then. Or, don't live in Larne.

0 |

Not sure what was going on here. They must have had some family hold over him as he was in the army and could easily have stayed away from NI and avoided all this shite. Stupid cunt in the end and probably deserved to go down for a long time.

0 |

Doubt his fam were being held in distress when he worked for the BA. Also doubt millennial Republicans would have the nouce to run an agent like that.

Doesn't hold up Andy. Was aware of what he was doing. Making pipe bombs for millennial - IRA

0 |

Think that's why the Brits took him down and didn't play him against Dee Fennel or anything,
they miss a good fight.

0 |

Doubt they were held as well but maybe always a lingering threat. No excuse really for his stupidity and his deserves to be where he is.

0 |

18 years is Harsh as fuck tho, agree. Especially when you've real murderers like Clegg in your company.

0 |

amazing the intelligence services never knew of this. dissidents are full of touts

0 |

Such a tout thing to say

1 |

A good read this:
luggerotoole.com/2017/...

Some of the comments are depressing enough. Like intellectual bitterness

0 |

didn't realize how imbalanced our infrastructure is and how geared to keeping us hun's at the top of the pile.. absolutely shocking tbh

0 |

Doesn't stack up here.. he's taking the hit to something biig. MI5 stuff

0 |

A little bit dubious about that sluggerotoole piece - yes there is a strong overlap between areas with Protestant majority and infrastructure, but the truth is probably closer to the fact that the infrastructure is concentrated towards areas with the most population density, and the big cities have a lot of both communities in them.

0 |

Sure Belfast attracts the biggest business for a host of reasons. But the connecting infrastructure is a point aside from developing places like Derry on its own basis. I think on that note it's absolutely correct that green/red politics has dominated decision making.

Someone mentioned in the comments to the article that a cyclist proved you could bike to Belfast from Derry quicker than the train.

0 |

Is it not just a case of what little money we've had available for infrastructure, it has been spent in the areas were it would return the best performance/value for money? Would a couple of million be better spent around Belfast and surrounding areas, or Strabane? If we had more money to spend on infrastructure, then of course spread it around, but when you've got serious infrastructure issues around Belfast and it's surrounding higher population/business density areas, surely it's just common sense to apply the funds there to reap the maximum benefit from the money and that's what has happened over the years.

0 |

A cyclist can cycle from Derry to Belfast quicker than the train? Are you on drugs today, RP? lol

0 |

Maybe the cyclist is the one on drugs.

1 |

Here..just said someone mentioned it in the comments is all

0 |

By the way the author addresses Takki and Matthews points in the comments too

"1) Despite the absence of decent infrastructure, 27% of NI currently live in its three western counties. That is not an insignificant proportion (certainly not of the 'no-one lives there' level mentioned in some responses below). For perspective - 15.5% live in Belfast City, and 37% in the Belfast Metropolitan/Greater Belfast area (i.e. the old council areas for Belfast, Lisburn, Castlereagh, Newtonabbey, North Down and Carrockfergus)

2) If you look at a map of the population density of NI - Derry City and its environs, south-east County Derry and east Tyrone have relatively high densities. Their densities are identical if not higher than swathes of the east which have much better infrastructure. In particular, there is a ring of population density/concentration around Lough Neagh, for example, yet only its eastern and southern sides have the infrastructure.

3) As mentioned in the article, it's a chicken and egg scenario. Jobs and population gravitate away from areas of poor infrastructure towards those with better infrastructure. That is a fact. How will somewhere like Derry have a chance of attracting the job creation it needs when any foreign company would baulk at how awkward it is to get there from NI's key international gateways (e.g. stuck behind a tractor on the Glenshane pass, or spending 2 and a half hours on an infrequent one-track railway to arrive at the most isolated station on NI's train network which is also away from the city centre it should serve). And without the ability to attract employment to places like Derry, Omagh and Enniskillen, how is the west's population expected to grow significantly as a proportion of the province ? If the west is deemed not to have the population to justify better infrastructure, it will remain an under-performing/impoverished generator of outward migration (to the east and beyond), thereby continuing to justify its poor infrastructure ad infinitum.

4) Re cause and effect : the west was promised motorways to replace the railways it lost in the 1960s, yet never got them. The east by-and-large retained its railways, and then also got given the only sections of motorway that were ever built. Given the avowedly sectarian nature of the pre-Troubles Stormont government ("a protestant parliament for a protestant people"), it would be naive to pretend that religious demography played no part whatsoever in those decisions."

0 |

you stop that common sense Takki, its obvious us huns have been forcing taigs to take shite roads for years

0 |

we need good roads to march on and train links to ferry in all of gods chosen people

0 |

I'm sure there's a historical element of better spending on protestant areas, certainly on the motorways which were built in the 60s. But like, the Republic has the same 'issue' of infrastructure being focused on the cities and particularly connecting them to Dublin.

0 |

0 |

"A cyclist can cycle from Derry to Belfast quicker than the train? Are you on drugs today, RP? lol"...

That was done a few years back and the fella got to Belfast before the train:
www.belfasttelegraph.c...

The point being made is that yes, there is a limited budget for infrastructure in NI but Belfast and the East are taking MORE than their fair (based on population density) and has done historically since the formation of the state. At some point that bias has to change for the West to grow and also come back inline with the the spending based on population density.

1 |

Fuck the west. Full of cuclhie backward cunts. Too busy riding their siblings to have any need for infrastructure. We should build a wall dividing the east and west to keep them out. And make them pay for it too.

2 |

i like this way of thinking

0 |

I'll be doing that commute to Belfast from Derry once I move house. May buy myself a decent bike then.

They have upgraded the rail line since tbf. It's now actually an option from where I'll be living.

0 |

I'd say every country in the world spends a disproportionately more amount closer to their main cities etc. I'd love to see a country that spends exact their fair share equally based on population. I'd hazard a guess and say there isn't one.

0 |

The Derry to Belfast train now has an hourly service (started in July) but is missing 21st century trains and express services that don't stop at every hole in the hedge.

0 |

If the train stopped everywhere then people would just moan that it stops too much.

0 |