Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

The union at any cost. Grew up on broters Grimm stories where the wolf is IRA. willing to cut their supposed brother's necks off to secure NI, for only another 3 years.

Literally the Last Tribe

0 |

The Last Tribe of where, though?
Larne?

Where even is Larne? Says Merseyside/Manchester

0 |

Remember 4 days ago people were asking why Irish MPs refused to take their sests...

Are you watching?

0 |

What are you's all rambling on about now! If this deadline doesn't get met again how the fuck can we justify paying their fucking salary's for another 3 months before next talks. SF are running out of excuses so the only stumbling block is they want a stand along irish act without ulster scots included, aye it might be just a dialect but come on get over this minor issue compared with the issues we have had with peace agreements in the past this is ridiculous.

0 |

give all the money back to the English. they need it for schools & healthcare & tomake safe hi-rise buildings. don't be such tapping Paddies. pay your own way.

0 |

DUP over with the begging bowl looking more money but wouldn't vote thru a pay increase last night for front line services across their union.

doesn't make much sense to me

1 |

Exactly. That's why the impartiality of the government and also the DUP is in question now. They are conflicted as people who lack principles regularly are. It'll be a poisoned chalice for the DUP eventually but for now they get to walk around talking about delivering for the people of NI.

0 |

Because they don't give a fuck about the working public. They care about large businesses, making money and power

It's pretty fucking obvious

2 |

" SF are running out of excuses"

I'm pretty sure this 'excuse' has been high on their agenda for years and years.
This Ulster Scots hybrid nonsense is a red herring

0 |

It's strange that they are willing to bring to bring down Stormont rather than just accept the Ulster Scotch thing. If they are determined to get an Act, and by willing to bring to Stormont to get it it suggests it's pretty important, why wouldn't they just negotiate on its form. They get what they asked for so I think the sticking point has to be more than that.

0 |

Government to fund abortions for NI women

he chancellor has said the government intends to fund abortions in England for women from Northern Ireland.

More than 50 MPs from the major parties had backed a call for Northern Irish women to have abortions for free in England - they currently have to pay.

In Northern Ireland abortions are only allowed if a woman's life is at risk or there is a permanent or serious risk to her physical or mental health.

The government has been under pressure since agreeing a deal with the DUP.

The concession came ahead of a vote on the issue in the Commons.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

So they are saying the deadline will be extended. Yawn

0 |

Useless bunch of eejits.

0 |

SF are willing to bring down Stormont because they won't accept the Ulster Scots.

There we have it. SDRP running with that narrative

0 |

Seems a bit churlish to demand an Irish Language act but say no to having legislation for the ulster Scots too. If thats the sticking point then it does show the shows the shinners to be just as bad as the DUP

0 |

Think the Nationalist community need an Irish Language Act on it's own as a symbolic gesture. Not much to ask seeing DUP/Tory now have a pact which no Nationalist would trust one Not to be fair, also brimg dragged out of Europe by Brexit and DUP/right wing Tories.
If Ulster Scotch was such a thing the Unionist majority rule for 70 years might have introduced it.

1 |

There is no "need" for any of these language acts, its a tool used by politicians to segregate communities. They should both be scrapped. SF supporters brainwashed into believing its something that is required.

0 |

Can someone give me the reasons as to why an Irish Language Act is *actually* needed?

I've watched and listened to loads of debates on it and I've yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why it is so badly needed that it's worth causing so much political drama and pain to all the major social services (health, education, etc).

1 |

luggerotoole.com/2017/...

0 |

What do we want?
ACT NA GAILEGE

When do we want it?
ANOIS

You are all individuals
YES, WE ARE ALL INDOVIDUALS

1 |

the Irish language stance is mostly to see if the DUP are actually serious about working together.

going into governament with the shinners is the only time they've actually made a hard decision from memory, and even then it wasn't hard as sinn fein got voted into power to democratically. they've never been equal on anything. they can't even agree to a simple language act because it's called Irish says it all. It's not even a massive deal but they can't even pass that and prove they are serious about doing things as equals.

must say not a issue for me but clear to see why Sinn Fein are pushing it after marty walked away

0 |

Takki, if you've listened to loads of debates on it and you've yet to hear a reasonable argument then I doubt you'll find one to satisfy you on here

But again.. you're running with the narrative that SF intransigence on that issue is the only thing stopping the executive and causing pain to the social services etc.

Are you forgetting the executive was brought down because the DUP orchestrated a scheme that will cost the executive billions
That they have stopped the introduction of equal marriage and a bill of rights.
They stopped funding for an Irish Language school.
That they have just voted with the tories to freeze pay rise for public sector.
There's a long list of acts that have have been detrimental to large sections of the community and the feeling certainly among nationalist/republicans is that the the positive steps that people like Martin mcguiness had took wasn't being reciprocated by unionists.
No going back to the status quo

0 |

So yeah, if you think SF are the problem here, you're trolling or you're brain dead

0 |

Why give the DUP an open goal then with the non-inclusion of the Ulster-Scots then... let them have it and call the DUP bluff on the Irish language...

0 |

thinking there is only one side causing problems here is maybe the problem...

1 |

I have a feeling that it's not just ulster Scots wanting to be included by also the military covenant. Which is a price no one in SF or indeed the wider Nationalist community would pay for an Irish language act. The DUP know this all too well.

0 |

they want the military covennt to be included in the Irish Language act?

Give the DUP the Ulster Scots and let them look unreasonable ove the military covenant

0 |

They already look unreasonable on Ulster Scots tbf.

1 |

I didn't ask for whataboutery, I just asked what the actual need for the act is. If it's so important, it shouldn't be hard to give good examples as to why it's so badly needed.

0 |

No not included in it but a bit like: I'll give you the Irish language act and you sign off this military covenant, pav.

0 |

SF want the Irish Language act as baz said.. a gesture, a sign. they want to sell it as something people can support.. the DUP have moved, they can be worked with they want a shared future etc.
Now it just looks like Gregory and Arlenes promises of no never to an act will play out.

It's like

0 |

Takki and all these other 'moderate' unionists spend all year trolling (but definitely not voting for) the DUP because 95% of them are all warped dinosaurs and then can't fathom why SF are having difficulties doing a deal with them. Lol

0 |

Isn't it good enough that the DUP agreed to an Irish language act before? Shouldn't they be made to live up to an agreement they signed? Should they be permitted to agree to something only to talk away when it suits?
The fucking signed up to it ten years ago. Quere fuckin neck on them to be honest.
Is about the symbolism of the language and the DUP's inability to recognise parity of esteem. Don't feed the crocodile unless it's a pup.

0 |

As far as I have read, AndyW, the problem with the Irish Language act is over the DUP desire to include Ulster Scots, and SF desire that it shouldn't.

In the grand scheme of things it a pretty ridiculous thing to be getting hung up on... and clearly the DUP are going to want something to give their supporters if they are giving the Irish Language act to SF voters

0 |

Takki the irish language act is so badly needed so that we can get a wee bit of squiggely irish writing underneath all the road signs here. It'll be well worth the initial investment and the following yearly repair bill after they replace the ones that have been burnt to bits in the areas where they still paint the curbs.

0 |

I swore what you wrote takki Jim allister said earlier on Nolan.

you big troller lol

4 |

1 |

"SF are willing to bring down Stormont because they won't accept the Ulster Scots"

All news reports say that is the sticking point. Not RHI or any of the other issues you point to. So, the redline for SF is clearly a stand alone Language Act or no deal. Direct rule.

So while all those issues you list are valid they are not preventing an agreement here.
the narrative here is that both parties are willing to bring down power sharing over the Language Act issue.

If they couldn't agree by now what good will the weekend do? The DUP probably only see win here anyway so why would they budge?

0 |

Can't all the taigs just download an app to learn Irish and save us a fortune? I've one teaches you German and Spanish and it's pretty decent, and free

0 |

SF hardly losing either. Don't know anyone in West Belfast is assed with Stormont either. I'd take direct rule for 2 years until Corbyn gets in and offers a different deal.

0 |

Sorry, not 2 years. I meant 3 months.
Before the English taxpayer's cheque clears.

0 |

The irish language act was *actually* needed because it helped bring republicans to the table and garner support for the peace process.

0 |

Guys just an update on the welfare of Clare Hanna, she had disappeared from the BBC studios on election night after smugly declaring SDLP would definitely win Foyle.

Turns out she's alive and well and back in the studio tonight. So that's good

0 |

ANOIS MOTHERFUCKER.
ANOIS, NOW

0 |

anois now, those syllables roll off the tongue.

the Irish & the British are certainly the only race in the World worth fighting for.
i think we don't give ourselves and put appointed politicians even credit.

we're literally the base of Western Civilisation. the homeland.

Islamic monkeys blow eachother up. even those small amount of years we were killing eachother, was always with a heavy heart.

SAD it took so long for us to get a Test Series Recognition.

I'll concedethe Irish Language Act of England gives us Joe Root for a few series' every year.

Anois

0 |

I get the Irish language and the need for the act to placate the taigs what i dont get is the DUP's insistence of inclusion of the slang ulster scoots in it.. i mean who in the sweet fuck talks it or has heard of it outside of Ballymoney, never have i heard of a bigger case of whataboutery than fucking ulster scoots.. so the DUP cunts that they are wont give SF a standalone act unless they get some useless fucking slang dialect in there as well and because SF wont budge on it, we don't get an executive? must be more to this than meets the eyes, i know the DUP are cunts but they cant be that fucking stupid as to hang themselves over this pile of shite.. its almost fucking comical, this isnt a language that needs enshrined in some act its lazy fucking yokels talking shite to each other...

. Whit's wrang wie ye? Ir ye loast? What is the matter? Are you lost?
2. Ir ye lukkin somewhir swanky ir jest a plaice tae pit yer heid doon? Do you seek a hotel or simply somewhere to lay your head down?

3. Thons naw a bad plaice ower thonner. That is a quite reasonable place over there.

4. Ye mean ye'r lyin oot aa nicht? Is yer heid cut? You mean you are sleeping in a tent/outdoors? Are you sane?

5. The Causey isnae aa that bad but it wud blaw the heid aff ye, mine ye. The Giant's Causeway is fine but can be somewhat windy, mind.

6. Whit schuil did ye go tae? I am trying to ascertain your religion by deducing it from the school you attended.

7. Ye wull fin Dunluce Cassel ower thon wye but its in joogins, mine ye. Dunluce Castle is over that way but it is in need of repair.

8. Whit dae ye mean Ulster Scotch? We aa taak Inglish aboot here. What do you mean Ulster Scots? We are English speakers here.

9. Mine thon burn fur the kye haes shat the hale lenth o it! Beware of the small river as effluent from cattle is present in it.

10. If ye stye roon here much langer ye'll bae ready fur the big hoose afore lang! If you do not leave this area shortly you may be committed to an assylum!

0 |

It's just being awkward RJ. SF and DUP can never take this country forward, it's an impossibility when each have core objectives that are polar opposites of each other and neither can represent the entire countries population.

Every turn will see a new issue and a constant one up over each other.

1 |

yeah but there has to be more to this particular sticking point than wanting the slang farmers talk enshrined into some sort of official language of teh prods!? I mean, it’s not like an Irish language act will mean I have to look at funny fucking writing on road signs all over east Antrim, so what gives? Surely the DUP realize that the Tories aren’t exactly the superpower they once where and if they make a complete fuck up off Brexit and Labour win the next election aul Corbyn and Adams are best mates ffs and that leaves the DUP up the fucking creek with nout but a lambeg drum as we flow towards a united Ireland.. there has to more to it

0 |

Bet half the taigs on here voted SF and I’m pretty certain all the huns voted anyone but the DUP…

0 |

My breeding programme is the only solution.

Although I have also taken a job in a men's underwear emporium which is located in a predominantly Unionist area. I spend my days recommending customers purchase underwear in a size which is actually too small for them. I also stubbornly refuse to refund any purchase.

Long term I hope the tight Y-fronts will have reduced male fertility rates by over 20% in the local community.

0 |