Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

Let the gypsies do their thang. We bomb or two never hurt anyone

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |

Needs more Pepsi

0 |

Wonder what PBP's view on America's reaction to a chemical gassing from an anti-Western despot will be.

Hang on, I can fucking guess.
zzzzz

Protest at City Hall, 1pm tomorrow

0 |

Wait. Make that, 2 pm.

0 |

So Sinn Fein calling for a new election if there's no deal by the weekend.

Were that to happen, how do people think it would change the votes?

0 |

DUP and Sinn Fein would see a massive increase.

0 |

Wouldn't change my vote as the mandate given from my previous vote was blocked. I'm not sure what another election would achieve tbh though. SF take more SDLP voters, DUP take more UU voters. I think a short period of direct rule maybe needed to get round the impasse. Take SF out of the equation and the demands on same sex marriage, some changes to abortion laws, Irish language act and equality could be easily achieved by SoS without DUP blocking. Would bring NI into line with the rest of the UK might also wake the DUP up a bit into proper negotiation.

0 |

The irish language act is the only one that has any chance of happening, do you really think those Christian's are going to go against their beliefs for the other two to happen I cant see it not whilst they have their mandate. The health service is a shambles and should be made number one priority stop the squabbling and get on with it, how they have the arrogance to think they can get full pay whilst we wait for another election is beyond me, every government worker should protest as a lot of them are having to continue as normal whilst having dealt with all the cuts backs and the mess our politicians are putting us in.

0 |

baffling why NHS topic so big over here when they get handouts from the torys to budget a already crippled service and work some sort of miracle that can't even be worked over in England.

obvs not forming a budget is hurting it more but pre election was so much focused on stormer delivering for the NHS but seems an impossible task as they are already starting from a losing position.

0 |

I'm with Dufunk on the no pay till they get their fingers out of their holes!!! Word on the street though is they are chatting a new 5% pay rise as well as being really busy with ....'ahem' constituency matters!

0 |

In fairness, they're probably doing more actual work during the negotiations than they would during a sitting assembly.

0 |

I'd imagine calling another election is a win/win for sinn fein.

0 |

I'd say a lot of people will be fucked off with the lot of them and not bother if another one was called

0 |

you say that but the turn out would go up. Proxy border poll, make it happen and see where we stand before the real one in 3 years.

0 |

No wait. Make that, 4 years.

0 |

Not sure what people expected when they voted for SF & DUP the last time round. The two parties are fundamentally opposed and will never get along properly. Another election will, most likely, bring about pretty much the exact same results and where will we be then? Same scenario. SF/DUP not agreeing and banging on about their red lines, all the while Northern Ireland and the people suffer the same problems caused by their hardline stances and opposing agendas.

Pie in the sky outcome would be that loads of people, the non-voters, the disheartened regulars and new voters who came out for the last election but now realise that the two main parties are never going to work together, gave their votes to Alliance and we ended up having a 3rd large party who was completely removed from the green vs orange shite and could actually start getting things moving without the constant bickering and hidden agendas that SF and the DUP can't let go of.

0 |

Same ol sheeeeite

Keep fighting the good fight

1 |

I could see the DUP doing better in another election tbh.

0 |

the DUP will do much better this time round so i dont see why SF is gambling on another election and doing better, can see many nationalists dropping their vote for SF and going with SDLP and loads of unionists and non voting prods rallying like fuck cause of the surge of them'uns.. risky business

0 |

no one dropping there vote for the SDLP lol

they are finished

can see DUP having a good election tho.

be more Orange Green than last time.

what you think ÓGLACH TJ

0 |

It could boost turnout for candidates where the vote was tight...

Depends on apathy of course and fear of SF being the biggest party
It would be interesting to see how the unionist vote would change... is there sufficient annoyance with the DUP for voters not to return even if it means SF take top spot. If so that would probably mean the size of their vote has peaked.

As I remember the South Belfast vote was tight and UUP nearly got the seat there is bounbd to be another of close races that could be changed by a handful of votes

0 |

To continue to return two parties which can't create a working government is incredibly stupid and the consequences are starting to hit budgets already.

If they do call an election and SF DUP come back stronger we deserve everything we get from a lack of devolved government. We will be left crying about issues from the sidelines when we can't even be trusted to deal with them when given the power.

The only reasons I can see why they are calling for an election is to put pressure on talks to work and, if they don't, to try and get a bigger mandate for a border poll.

0 |

Strengthened mandates for the 'Orange and Green' in a new election. UUP wiped out

SF have gave up on shitty Stormont and are playing the all Ireland long game

0 |

Its weird but everytime I feel swayed more towards a UI position, Muzak1, the boards crypto-unionist, manages to dissuade me.lol.

0 |

I have to agree muzak1's unique persona doesn't really help to sell the utopian vision of a United Ireland.

Unfortunately not everyone is blessed with my winning personality and ability to garner upvotes at will.

1 |

Reading between the lines... he's like the agent orange to republican politics

2 |

This is exactly the point, I don't want to convince anyone.

Strategy has changed. No status quo. No more buttering up the prods or west brits.

Pure numbers game now

0 |

Strange logic there. Actively dissuading people (both nationalist and unionist) from voting for a United Ireland using your "personality" is impacting negatively on your numbers game.

0 |

Sometimes i wish i was bitter and blinkered to make this voting thing a lot easier

0 |

I assume I'm a west brit (being from a nationalist background but no overly sold on the UI yet).
When you say it is a numbers game and you discount the ~15-25% of the population anf the ~50% who are prod where exactly does that leave you?

other than 16-26% of the votes short of you lifes dream?

0 |

Not fooling anyone, you're sold m8.
Welcome on board

0 |

That's a bit unfair pav. Muzak1's life's dream is to right a bigger wrong. Something inherently unjust:

Muzak1 • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
If I believed in the hideously lop sided voting system I'd have given you a wee upvote there JL

0 |

SF will sweep up the SDLP inthis sectarian, faux border poll head-count.
Adams will play on McGuinness' death. Pull the heart-strings of Rep/Nat.

0 |

Pav there, still trying to reason with statistics in this age.

0 |

Trump, Brexit, Tories....

0 |

Yes to Reunification would hit 40% post-Brexit easy, imo.
Imagine being raised in a Nationalist/Catholic household, community, school and being part of the dithering 9% lol.

I don't know how you'd win them people over. Intimidation perhaps.
Or just, fuck them.

0 |

Lol. Fuck them is right lad. Up the Republic

0 |

I'm not sure seeing a sweaty eye-balled, diabetic with a steroid shrivelled, acned scrotum try to fuck them is going to sway many minds tbf

2 |

Lol

0 |

lol

0 |

Wouldn't be so sure.. some people can actually be persuaded by something somebody else writes on a forum. Lol

pavlovsdog • 5 hours, 5 minutes ago
Its weird but everytime I feel swayed more towards a UI position, Muzak1, the boards crypto-unionist, manages to dissuade me.lol."
|

0 |

when did diabetes become something to hope about?

0 |

joke*
JOKE

0 |

After a century of sucking britains cock under the rule of the wrinkly old queen maybe it's time to give the republic a go. I'm all for giving everyone a chance and I'm sure Britain are bored of us now and could throw the fight, just say here take it

1 |

Britain is a goner. Fucking leave the English to it. Still think they have an empire.

0 |

a vote can only be a good thing. sooner the better

0 |

Wonder what this is about. The way the woman is tugging on his collar and the way his party colleagues are talking doesn't really make it seem health related?

UUP's Nesbitt refuses to comment on hotel incident - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

Clearly blocked

0 |