Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

As George Carlin said it is voting which actually gives you no right to complain. You voted for these pricks now shut up. :-)

0 |

It's Northern Ireland, doesn't matter if you vote or don't vote, doesn't matter who you vote for.
It's a basket case and it always will be.

I find the politics in GB or RoI to be much more relevant and interesting.

I mean, Stephen Nolan is your local political puppet-master.

0 |

But do vote. By all means Captain.

0 |

If you wanna get a big vote turnout Pav, give the people something big to vote on, less & less each election are bothering with the "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" elections - 25k less have registered to vote to last time.

0 |

"25k less have registered to vote to last time"

Where'd you see that, acid?

0 |

There was a shit load of people took off the electoral register for some reason. they were then sent a letter not so long ago saying we need proof of x,y and z before this deadline or you won't be registered to vote

Now if people were already losing the enthusiasm to go and vote then this would have sealed the deal

0 |

Here's the thing Acid... the big parties have all the votes they need to get them selves elected...

Do you think sitting in your room not voting is somehow going to conjour up some political entity that is going to drop by, suck your balls then give you your political dreams come true?
... just in case you might vote in the future?

We have a STV system... you get the change to vote for lindependent and smaller parties.
You get the chance to vote against the dominant ones.

You will not get real change here until the massess are convinced that they can vote someone other then DUP or SF without letting themmuns in.

Do you even vote yourself?

1 |

Well put sir.

Just watched the leaders debate. I can't get my head around the prediction the DUP will be the most popular party again. It is such a depressing thought and Fosters face is the perfect poster for that gloomy future. It's the GFA generation that are coming into power now and I think that will bring some change, well I hope. Just don't have the stomach for the shite anymore

0 |

Of course I vote Pav, dunno where you get the idea that just because I think there will be a low turnout (not many about when I voted this morning) equates to me not voting.

0 |

You do understand the difference between a question and an assertion?

0 |

Assertion is someone who carries out operations on people?

2 |

He's a techno DJ... I thought you'd have known that :/

0 |

"I hope Acid and his gang of no voters will be pleased with the regressive regime they help support"

0 |

He's trying to distort your reality, acid.

That's actually quite a strange sentence.

0 |

By telling people voting is futile you seem to be encouraging people to disenfrsanchise themselves ... I can only assume you have some success...

0 |

where did I say voting is futile? I said this particular election will achieve nothing, then stated the only game changing vote will be the one on a united Ireland, which will come in the not too distant future, either before or after UK leaves the EU then will we see record voter numbers - imo.

0 |

Let me just have a quick look back over some recent posts... shouldn't take too long

0 |

acid • 19 hours, 16 minutes ago

it's all just a complete exercise in futility, the only game changing vote left to be had is the one on a united Ireland,...

acid • 19 hours, 2 minutes ago

lol - it's all just a complete exercise in futility, the only game changing vote left to be had is the one on a united Ireland, I reckon more than 50% won't vote at all,

acid • 18 hours, 48 minutes ago

aye, so it swings back to uup / SDLP? so what? it's all been seen before.. same oul shite.. nope the only game changer is the united Ireland vote.

acid • 15 hours, 7 minutes ago

If you wanna get a big vote turnout Pav, give the people something big to vote on, less & less each election are bothering with the "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" elections

1 |

well, lets see where we are in three weeks time then, if this election doesn't produce a government and power goes to Westminster do agree that it will have been futile then?

0 |

No, don't be a dullard...
You think the political process stops if / once power returns to westminster?

That NI politics gets put on hold forsome indeterminate time when population dynamics lead republicans to believe that a majority yes vote for a united ireland is possible?

0 |

I bet at this point the English government would love a United Ireland - the Tories because they can't be bothered dealing with the problem anymore, Corbyn because he's that kind of guy.

0 |

Depending on how the brexit goes... I wonder if border communities profiting from the new arrangements will be eager to happy to give up their profitability to become a run of the milln rural area outside of Dublin and Belfast

0 |

I'd say those south of the border if profiting will be in no hurry to unite Ireland and lose money. Surely

0 |

The civil rights movement weren't marching for a United Ireland Pav they wanted equality, TBH before the whole UK leaving the EU thing I felt the United Ireland ref was the ace up the DUP's sleeve that if asked would of settled so much shit and would have gone unionists way no problem, that's why Republicans have never called for it. Now i'm not so sure.

0 |

bring the hard border back and tory policies then they should be worried.

also don't think you can rely on them polls to much with that topic.

be a lot of campaigning leading up to the ref and you will also get a lot of people thinking massive opportunity here who might have been 50/50 or wanting to stay in the UK.

0 |

Looking forward to a united Ireland, should be good. Might even celebrate by going to Mass.

1 |

Why can't we just go back to the 1980s gang? Glorious times. #VoteDUP #JesusLives

0 |

Anyone up for another election?

Northern Ireland could face another snap election, says Brokenshire - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

Sinn Feinn abstain from voting on abortion down south. Lappers, and on women's day.

0 |

Why? Did they give a reason?

0 |

It seems they were waiting until after the vote to form an opinion

I phoned one of the main advocates on behalf of those couples, and particularly the women, and I apologised for the fact that we didn’t have a policy and that is our fault. But we will have a policy in two or three weeks’ time.

0 |

I thought they were for it

0 |

The have to vote on it
www.thejournal.ie/sinn...

Turn out it was for abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormalities
from the comments below:

Dave Obreen Mar 4th 2015, 2:10 PM #
I remember Claire Daly on TV defending the right to life of the minx cat in relation to fur farming .

and I agree with her on that , but it twists my brain how she will defend the right to life of the minx cat while at the same time call for the right to life of the unborn to be abolished .

Kevin Higgins Mar 4th 2015, 3:02 PM
Do you understand what a Fatal Foetal Abnormality is?

If so do you respect the democratic wishes of 81% of the population?

0 |

Think this is what Muzka was talking about:

www.thejournal.ie/abor...

Pavlov your link is from 2 years ago.

0 |

Yeah, I thought they'd been calling for abortions to be allowed for FFA, up here anyway.

0 |

I guess the random qutes i picked out kinda highklight that.lol.

14 years in prison... thats pretty shocking

5-7 years for rapist .. 14 years for the rapee to abort the rape fetus

0 |

I wouldn't read too much into any individual vote about abortion in the minute at the south, there's a Citizen's Assembly convened at the minute which will make a series of recommendations to the government about many things, one of which will be a potential 8th Amendment repeal referendum. They're largely expected to recommend that referendum take place, and the government will probably then do so (as they can wash their hands of it from the side of the religious voters, say that they were forced to or whatever). So until that happens, most abortion-related Dail business is kind of being ignored.

0 |

tbf pav thats the first story i saw when i searched too

0 |

Remedial lvl seo skills

Another mark against the joining the free state

1 |

false fleg by google too

0 |

Found this Gem on FB. A perfect Place for a healthy Debate. Some good weighted and balanced opinions on display here.

www.facebook.com/Ulste...

0 |

"Just in case any of you don't understand who and what's behind the Cultural Marxist agenda!
You support Gay marriage,you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
You run around Gay Pride parades, you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
You support abortion as a form of contraception, you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
You support feminism which is actually anti women and family, you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
You support unlimited immigration/asylum/bogus refugees,you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
You support the transgender agenda and associated madness, you support the far left Cultural Marxist agenda and the IRA.
For God's sake catch a grip of yourselves before it's to late!"

0 |

Soyuz being using that term a lot in here recently...The plot thickens

0 |

First official casualty of the SF/DUP power struggle at the expense of the people, mainly the vulnerable.

Charity: 'Vulnerable children first victims of Stormont collapse'
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

This doesn't suit the radical republican agenda so don't be posting this stuff on here Takki. Next

0 |

Leading loyalist has been shot in Carrickfergus.

0 |

Loyalist feud most probably.

0 |

who's in the lead now then?

0 |

Alex 'big balls' Salmond

0 |

lol

0 |