Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

Not surprised. Just live in hope the silly fuckers that voted for them last time, realise they don't give a fuck about the general public and vote elsewhere this time

0 |

Seems to be a ploy which works just fine for them tbf.

0 |

I think it's obvious that for a lot of their voters it's not so much a vote for DUP but a vote to keep out SF

0 |

anything I have read seems to say the DUP won't lose many seats if any, but polls are not exactly reliable

0 |

All about the Union for most DUPers. seen a few prods on my FB recently calling Nesbitt a clown for what he said about transferring his vote to SDLP and saying he was 'no unionist'
RHI etc goes in one ear and out the other.
These type of things galvanise the PUL community, as somebody put it lastnight, they love a crisis

0 |

I see Conor Murphy wasn't too hot on the finances of RHI lobbying to keep it open so his constituents could get in on it

The Nolan stuff about dormant companies suddenly starting to trade to get in on RHI was crazy. Absolute free for all.

0 |

RHIP

0 |

Isn't that how will always be though? Unionists will do what's needed to remain part of the UK and republicans will vote with the hope of a united Ireland?

Housing, employment, health, education will always come second the a united Ireland/kingdom for most voters

0 |

You all think pbp and greens will get more votes this time? Can see them taking votes from alliance

0 |

betcha it doesn't change one fucking iota.. young people don't vote in the numbers needed to make an actual change and old people vote purely along tribal lines.. its crazy that there are no political movements comprised of young people trying to galvanize others to vote for change and using the power of social media to get the message across.. its the same old haggard looking cunts on posters around the estates

0 |

PBP sort of doing that, maybe not as much on social media though

0 |

'Isn't that how will always be though? Unionists will do what's needed to remain part of the UK and republicans will vote with the hope of a united Ireland?

Housing, employment, health, education will always come second the a united Ireland/kingdom for most voters'

100%. and i wouldn't knock anyone's reason for voting as everyone's free to vote for whatever they like

the thing i don't really get is when people say.. "we need to stop voting along tribal lines", "the orange and green", "we need to move on"

first of all.. almost every party you can vote for here has an orange or green affiliation. meaning, they either want to remain as part of the UK or they want a united Ireland. it's in their manifestos
Alliance don't see themselves as orange or green, but should we vote for Alliance simply BECAUSE they don't have a stance on the border issue?

the other thing we're hearing is we should vote for 'moderate' parties that 'want to work together' aka UUP/SDLP
i don't know about anyone else but my experience of cross community stuff within Derry has always been arranged/facilitated by SF/PUP/loyalist youth workers, never have i seen SDLP involved. seems like the only time they really want to 'work together' is at election time

0 |

I think it being in their manifestos is a necessity, it's a subject that needs addressed and not ignored. It just doesn't need to the primary focus for every party which it isn't. It's where it sits in lists of priorities that differs the parties.

I've been involved in cross community work and I'm not sure who I'd link it to, in fact political parties never seem associated. It was community centres, sports bodies, arts projects and sometimes the church.

0 |

But yes I've never seen or experienced sdlp involvement in any cross community work. I know SF have set up schemes though I've not experienced them I'm aware they are active

0 |

I agree with muazk1 last post.

even in the west or greater Belfast seems the same. SDLP spend far too much time hating the shinners they've disappeared up their own arse.

tbh tho I like the fella Eastwood. comes across well. but then you have atwood. lol

hopefully he loses his seat. couldn't think of a worse representative for west Belfast

0 |

One of the things I've noticed about SDLP, in regards this election, is they don't really seem to be mentioning the 'alliance' with UUP very much at all, certainly not in the same way the UUP has been talking about it. They do seem obsessed with SF, as you say Baz also.

0 |

I like Attwood. I think him as First or Deputy First Minister with Jim Rodgers l7.alamy.com/zooms/8fc... would be the ideal patnership to represent what NORTHERN IRELAND is all about on a Global state.

When I hear them talk I can't help but stop what it is I'm doing and listen, really listen to what they say and how they say it. Neither of them could capture the true spirit of NORTHERN IRELAND any better.

0 |

www.irishnews.com/payw...

0 |

Can you copy & paste the content? It's paywalled for me.

0 |

It can sense the DUP from your IP address

1 |

0 |

i remember you absolutely Hating atwood SS lol

1 |

Attwood will be getting my 1st Preference next week followed by the Green Candidate Ellen Murray.

Nobody to me will represent the good (and the not so good) people of West Belfast like Alex and a South Belfast native Male To Female Transitioned who resides in South Belfast and hasn't even been to the Dairy Farm.

0 |

www.irishnews.com/news...

Without PayWall. I think.

0 |

Cheers Shane. Unbelievable levels of cringe, never mind the creepiness.

0 |

Bizarre post from Jim

0 |

Not that bizarre I dont think ive ever read anything about him that didnt involve some high level of stupidity.

0 |

DUP Brexit dark money.... the Suadi Secret Service connection
www.opendemocracy.net/...

0 |

What's your thoughts on that one Pavlov? Do the electoral commission have any interest in following money flowing through the DUP. We need a local Snowden to hack local party donation details and reveal all in a big bang. SF and DUP would be up to their necks

0 |

Up to their necks in what? Lol

SF got most of their funds from taking about a 3rd of the councillors salaries

0 |

And the Northern Bank. Obvs

0 |

How do you know Muzak. It's confidential

1 |

And haven't they been chatting about doing away with the councillor/MLA donation principle? How on earth would they fund themselves what with all their donations coming from the salaries of elected members

0 |

Interesting that the DUP possibly funded money into the brexit campaign from hardcore Sharia regimes in the ME...

Secrecy over party funders was probably a good thing here in the past... but it definitely needs to be revisited. I imagine the potential for sectarian attacks against significant party funders still exists , I'd imagine from a position of ignorance that the threat is greatly reduced.

If not total transparency, there at least needs to be some cross-party or joint parliment/dail oversight committee keeping an eye out for dodgy dealing.

0 |

Alex Atwood fighting for a seat in West Belfast just called Derry londonderry.

0 |

Impressive move that.

0 |

Really baz? They've zero clue.

1 |

yeah called it derry then straight after it londonderry.

0 |

Good call that by Alex for the prod transfer vote.

0 |

Did he call it Londonderry or Derry/Londonderry

Such a moonman

0 |

I often decide who gets my vote based on how they say Derry. It's those types of real issues that are at the forefront of people's lives

0 |

get outta here with that chat Muzka. ye trying de blind uz with logic or summit/?

1 |

Arlene took a deserved battering there.

Naomi long came across very well as did Michelle O'Neill.

1 |

How does anyone vote for Arlene Foster? Loathsome individual.

0 |

It's the smug nonplussed look that never leaves her face. I detest the sight of the woman never mind her policies.

0 |

I'd love to know who really knew about that scheme. You couldn't trust any of them

0 |

Would love someone like wikileaks or anonymous would hack the dup and release all their emails so show just how corrupt those fuckers are

0 |

What are youz watching?

0 |

Leaders debate on bbc takki. Ended at 10 there

0 |

I wonder which party has the worst skeletons in their closet out of them all. Bound to be some belters between SF and DUP.

0 |