Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

It's just huns being a but hunny, tags being a bit taigy but no real sectarianism involved debate #639

1 |

What's the actual proposal though? Who funds Irish schools at the moment?

0 |

Think it's the last of the Northern Bank money keeping them going

2 |

I'm ok with that, so long as it isn't taking money to keep rjs street lights on at night

1 |

Gregory's curry my yoghurt bants was only about a year ago when he said Irish Language act consultation paper was toilet paper and it would never happen so it need to be an almighty uturn for that to be going through anytime soon

0 |

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-... Look at the incoming DUP mayor receiving her chains from SF up here in Londonderry. In her finest green. #opposition

0 |

0 |

As soon as I read it hadn't received approval I stopped reading.

0 |

The PSNI assisted with it's removal. There's now precedent for unapproved Loyalist flags, what I'm reading from it.

0 |

Should be fun over the next couple of months if that isn't resolved.

0 |

If it wasn't approved then that's that for said memorial.

What SF should be doing is seeking approval and holding the council to account for the Unionist memorials if they are being erected without doing so. Didn't big Gerry say you'll beat them with equality?

0 |

How many memorials to 1916 or paramilitaries on both sides across this country got approval. Very few. Mainly because they wouldn't get approval but they still exist. Bad precedent set imo.

0 |

Should be public consultation. Do SF etc just decide amongst their band of nationalists where they fancy a memorial should be? It's territorial knuckle dragging

1 |

Not exactly controversial in the grand scheme of things compared to terrorist memorials. Could have just left alone.

0 |

All those memorials look rotten. Make the place look bad hope they rip them all out.

0 |

And the response www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

People in NI are too easily offended.

0 |

He comes into doorsteps Conway Mill all the time. absolute mess. serious eating. not need like

0 |

1 |

Haha. You couldn't write this shit.

0 |

Seen that on lad flag earlier. Somme commemoration my hole. Just a bunch of the lads out parading round to be seen.

1 |

Is that Soyuz?

2 |

Even the Stoops getting in on it.

0 |

0 |

I'm all for it tbh, i owe my allegiance to no one certainly not the fucking English but merging our economy with the south would mean the south taking a big hit and tell me this if there was to be a referendum up North, surely there would have to be one down South to give the Mexicans the vote on whether or not they want us lot which could mean whilst the taigs get the yes up here, it could be the prospect of inheriting the huns that ultimately sinks a United Ireland..

Even i don't want the fucking loyalists can't imagine them lot do either

0 |

So we decided to hold a poll on if the time was right to have a vote - yes a vote on a vote, just what we in Northern Ireland love.

And 7,645 votes were cast in the space of 24 hours.

Overwhelming - 73% - said the time was right for a poll.

We also asked a second question on what way people would vote.

And 70% said they would vote for a united Ireland.

m.belfasttelegraph.co.... part-in-our-border-poll-and-heres-how-they-voted-34900542.html

0 |

m.belfasttelegraph.co....

0 |

lol @ page 1

0 |

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has said the DUP's backing is not essential for the establishment of a 'post-Brexit' national dialogue.

Mr Martin has said in light of the decision by Britain to leave the EU, the Oireachtas should convene a "national dialogue" or "civil dialogue" involving workers, business organisations, non-governmental organisations and community groupings.

1 |

laughed at page myself lol

have they just woke up

0 |

so what gives, if we have a border poll surely the Irish have to have a vote to ratify it?

0 |

Yeah a vote in both jurisdictions. Fairly sure the south would vote for it comfortably. Personally think the north would be tight if the vote happened today.

0 |

would it be a sure thing in the south right enough? does the general populace consider the North theirs so to speak? I would've thought that it would be fairly evenly split down south tbh considering the ball ache that they would be inheriting and the cost they would have to suffer

0 |

South would pass comfortably, no chance of the North getting it. Not sure what the craic is with that BelTele poll, they must have polled a certain jurisdiction or something. Should go ahead anyway to see what the scores on the doors are and then have a referendum every 7 years thereafter as written in the BRA.

1 |

*GFA

0 |

Knowing the tele I'd say their poll was generated to create a story rather than any kind of in depth look at unification

0 |

Yeah I'd say the south would be no problem at all rj.

0 |

The Derry journal did a poll also. Predictably seeing as Derry is overwhelmingly nationalist the results where 85% for a UI. Think the poll size was about 4/5k

0 |

Didn't the GFA in the 26 Counties pass by 93% Yes or something.

0 |

Good old Derry. #Solid

0 |

26 + 6 + 93 = 1

2 |

south be no problem, wouldn't even be an issue.

0 |

if it where roles reversed id be hesitant on taking onboard the perpetually aggrieved fleg loving loyalists

0 |

tbh i don't think it be much different to how they deal with it at the moment, away up north to most of them.

they get our news constantly anyway.

Unless the loyalists starting bombing dublin or something, oh wait theyve done that before lol

0 |

The derry poll obviously didn't leave galliagh certainly didn't go out to newbuildings to ask people! County Donegal has 20% unemployment how the hell could ROI cope with all the DLA, dole and tax credit etc.

0 |

You think south would be a landslide? I don't seem to see a strong desire to take the north back from the south. I guess different times but I remember politicians down south not wanting the north purely for financial reasons but that was about 10-15 years ago. Is there much documented research into how a united Ireland will benefit financially, with jobs, health, housing etc?

I think it's certainly time to start discussing a united Ireland and proposing ways of making it work for everyone. It's just shit that so many will solely see it as a remaining British or getting Brits out argument. I had slight hope that after good Friday agreement we would progress to a more united society that could agree on what's best for the country. Sadly place is still full of fuktards

0 |

Was an online poll dufunk. I'd say it's an accurate reflection of political beliefs in Derry tbh.

A lot of the south would be voting on purely heart rather than head. The thought of a UI would be pulling the heartstrings. Up north would be fought on NHS, benefits etc.

0 |

You can your arse a hardcore band of fleggers would no doubt start a campaign of violence for reunification with the perceived motherland, our economy is way out of whack with the south and before such a thing would even be considered surely we would need to be self-supporting so as to not be such a massive drain on Irelands resources. Id love it tbh just purely to see the absolute anger on those cunt fleggers faces at being united with the “enemy” and given the heave-ho by the Queen.. fuck me it would shatter they’re wee brains at the injustice of it all

0 |

The big issue is the dependence on government funded jobs (Belfast especially) and also the large benefits list. Then infrastructure. That's before you start thinking of the sheer panic in loyalism.

0 |

I work in public sector so my main worry would be having a job, even after the voluntary exit scheme there is still far to many civil servants for the size of this place. Do you really think Dublin would relocate any more jobs to derry than Belfast have or would the answer is no we have seen what letterkenny is like and derry would be in the same boat. The Euro is a piss poor currency who would want it.

0 |