Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

0 |

SFIRGAY

0 |

get him bucked

0 |

And then take some blood

0 |

0 |

Movement is movement i suppose arlene was stuttering her words earlier saying there had been a new report about gay blood. Big marty's laying flowers for the Somme dead. New DUP education minister visits Irish language school. Baby steps but right direction.

0 |

Agreed upon early fluff to satisfy the voters that change is happening let's see some real change, legalise same sex marriage, allow abortions, abolish all religious based laws

0 |

You won't get abortion laws. Taigs or prods of religious persuasion are against it.

0 |

Good to see a bit of progress on some fronts. Hopefully this will continue. DUP/SF coalition realising they're going to have to give results now they're going to have to answer to any shite leadership?

0 |

I'd say same sex marriage could be on the cards.

0 |

Good start to opposition lol

0 |

Whens the big day takkischitt?

2 |

When in Rome

0 |

To be honest, this just smacks of cowardice
DUP can't get gay blood through without possibly losing votes, same for gay marriage so sf will take ministries that makes these decisions. Watch the minister for education next do what sf can't for the same fear.
All while Arlene Foster said she could never have a nationalist/republican minister of justice. And aul Marty never said a word about it. Zzzz. An organic carve up for dup/sf lap dogs with 'results' coming after opposition is formed. Here's me, nah.

0 |

It is a farce but fuck it at least they're doin something apart from arguing over the way to say 'H'

0 |

Much better to have the aul tit for tat killings and the socio-economic stagnation that went along with it.

2 |

UpInArmsMa • 10 hours, 51 minutes ago
To be honest, this just smacks of cowardice
DUP can't get gay blood through without possibly losing votes, same for gay marriage so sf will take ministries that makes these decisions. Watch the minister for education next do what sf can't for the same fear.
All while Arlene Foster said she could never have a nationalist/republican minister of justice. And aul Marty never said a word about it. Zzzz. An organic carve up for dup/sf lap dogs with 'results' coming after opposition is formed. Here's me, nah.

The best thing about it is all the DUP and SF voters voting for their party to keep themuns out lol

0 |

well removing the ban on ghey blood is a start, its a small start but at least its something

0 |

It'd be great if they kept this pace up with good changes.

0 |

Irish language Act be announcement this week

0 |

Irish language is one i find it hard to personally justify and its got fuck all to do with being a creambun, its a dead language used nowhere else but craggy island type villages in the deep south, i'm all for keeping it for historical purposes and whatnot but to give money towards it when it could be used for teaching kids that the world is 6000yrs old is a complete waste imo, dump the thing and buy more computers and employ extra primary school teachers

0 |

Aye

0 |

It almost falls outside of measuring it's worth against educational benefits as it's more about heritage and connection to the history of the country. One side want it as they see it as part of their history and culture and the other don't because they don't see it as part of their history and culture. Sadly the schools and education system is in the middle of it all. I think it should be an optional language in all schools alongside German, French etc and it should be included in Irish history classes

1 |

By all means offer it as part of an optional language or teach some of it in Irish History and make it available to all in the North but to fund exclusive Irish language schools is a total waste of money and does nothing but segregate pupils which is what we should be moving away from, like religion it should be an option within all schools that a pupil can decide to take and should not be made compulsory.

I mean c’mon how many of you taigs on here can fluently speak it and use it on a daily basis?

0 |

Any oul facts ?

0 |

You won't cover what is being taught in Irish language schools by doing what you suggest Muzka. Lessons are solely taught in Irish and that can't be covered in other schools as there'd be children in the class that wouldn't have a clue what's going on if you mixed them up. It's a parental choice to have your child be taught in an Irish language primary/secondary school. The schools have good uptake in places also.

0 |

I know a couple of key phrases which cover most eventualities:

Is maith liom uachtar reoite

Sé do bheatha, a Mhuire,
atá lán de ghrásta,

0 |

Obviously it's not the same as talking only Irish in every lesson. I'm suggesting it should still have these inclusions in non Irish speaking schools.

As for Irish speaking schools if the demand is there and it's funded the same as a non Irish school and generated results and has the same targets as a non Irish school I can't see why not

0 |

The reason it is a considered a dead language is because it wasn't allowed to be taught. People want to learn it... and they want their children to learn it. Bi-lingual people pick up other languages much more easily.

My sister speaks fluently and a family events there are generally a few people speaking purely in gealic.

While you think it is of no value, tourist love that shit and tourism is one or our leading industries. It will have a longer lived appeal than the tours of the murals.

2 |

Does/will a properly funded Irish Language sector add value to the economy ?

0 |

Have heard some great tunes on the BBC Radio Ulster Irish show I'd listen to on the way home from work in the car. Shazam'd. Why do they speak in Irish for a bit, then speak in English for a bit?

0 |

Yes jumbo, it will

1 |

I just went an asked the most dissident/republican Irish loving fucker in the place and he can barely remember a word of it, nor does he use it, have use for it or think of a use for it outside of a connection to his Irish Past which has been echo’d by a few more of them’uns in the office..

Obviously this small poll naturally applies to the entire country but in this day and age we should be integrating our schoolkids and doing away with faith and Irish only schools and mixing the wee bastards up. I’m all for mandatory Irish History classes teaching everyone the history of the whole island but I think Irish language needs to be offered alongside the other languages…

0 |

Cracker

0 |

RJ, I think you'd be surprised at how much interest there actually is in learning the Irish language, there are classes popping up in every community centre across the north.
My 2 brothers go to a night class locally, my cousin goes to a different one, his sister is already fluent as is her 7 yr old she goes to a Bunscoil. My uncle teaches at the school and he says they have to turn down hundreds of applications every year, there is massive demand for another one in Derry

The An Culturlann centre got an all-Ireland award this year for promoting the Irish language, they have a longer-term plan of setting up a gaelic quarter in the city centre as part of their overall vision for cultural tourism.

culturlann-doire.ie/ne...

'Cultúrlann Uí Chanáin has beaten off opposition from Irish language organisations from all over Ireland to scoop the All-Ireland first place for the promotion of Irish language and culture.

This is one of the most coveted accolades in the Irish language community and on Saturday night the trophy was presented to a delegation from An Cultúrlann in Derry to receive the award at the Glór na nGael National Competition.

The Irish language and arts centre was presented with the National Glór na nGael trophy in acknowledgement of its achievements in promoting the language in the city over the past twelve months.

The awards ceremony gave recognition to the work of committees and community groups all over the country promoting the Irish language, with particular emphasis on community development, education, youth provision outside of school, publicity, and opportunities to speak Irish.

Carol Nic Conmara, Education Co-ordinator, Cultúrlann Uí Chanáin said: “Our aim as an organisation is to develop and promote the Irish language in Derry City and further afield, and to create a bilingual society where Irish is encouraged, protected and fostered. Winning the Glór na nGael National Award 2016 is an honour and we are very proud to receive recognition for the hard work and dedication of the Cultúrlann team and the impact we are making on the promotion of the Irish language in the area.”

Over 450 people currently attend language classes and activities at the centre on a weekly basis, and the diverse range of events and programmes on offer throughout the year have no doubt contributed to Glór na nGael’s final decision. These include conversation circles, reading clubs, youth sessions, an Irish language choir, music and dance classes and a community outreach programme.

In February 2016, the organization opened an academy of traditional music in newly refurbished premises at 35 Great James Street, Acadamh Ceoil Chaoimhín Uí Dhochartaigh, and it will launch its first language summer school in August 2016, Scoil Samhraidh Uí Chanáin.

Cultúrlann Uí Chanáin has also been shortlisted in the Best Tourism Event at this year’s North West Business Awards for the Derry International Irish Music Festival, which took place for the first time in February.'

0 |

All those FACTS v RJ's disso Republican loving work colleague. Dunno

0 |

There's around 400 pupils per year and rising in Irish language primary schools in Derry alone.

0 |

Jesus Muzak1 i hope you didn't just write all that to counter my personal viewpoint, Jumbo I've never let facts get in the way of a good rant... still think its a waste o money/resources and out of all those people (still a fuck tiny percentage of the population) how many are pradestants?

0 |

More imprtantly who cares what religion they are

0 |

The point is RJ religion doesn't or shouldn't come in it. If you want your kids brought up bilingual with their primary language being Irish then it should be available and if it's available then you need separate schools as they're taught primarily in Irish. It should be enshrined in law as we're all capable of claiming to be Irish whether you wish to or not.

0 |

AndyW I have to respectfully disagree, if you want your kids brought up bilingual with Irish being their main language in a predominately English speaking country then you the parent should fund this education through your own pocket, why should I as a tax payer have to see primary classes that are bursting at the seams with too many children and not enough teachers or resources have money allocated for what is fundamentally a useless language whose only function it would appear is to make us look quaint to visiting Americans, the same applies to Religious studies another absolute waste of space whose time would be better spent on maths & sciences.

0 |

Irish speakers are tax payers too, and they're children need an education surely ?

0 |

Just head down to the Irish language school's sports day and yell at someone.

0 |

Or start chanting in irish off google translate.

2 |

No worries RJ but most of those parents are tax payers also. Should they be forced to use their tax contributions to educate their children in a manner against their wishes? In some cases those parents do pay extra fees directly to the schools so not really sure what more they can do? Maybe they should just tow the line with your clearly tainted views? The joys of intolerance eh?

0 |

Tainted views? Intolerance? C’mon lad I have no problem with the Irish language but I think resources would be better spent on integrating our schools not building more exclusive schools… no one is going to send wee Billy to an Irish Language school to sit beside wee Caoimhe now are they, whereas if we build a school that serves both communities you can have an Irish language class in it and if the parents want little Oisin to be a better Gaeilge speaker then they can send the little nipper to additional extracurricular classes.

0 |

Falling out with yourself in one sentence.

0 |

I deliberately didn't use words like sectarian because I don't believe you are. It comes down to where you've been brought up and your life experiences dude. i would assume you've been brought up and educated in places where the Irish language was seen as something only ra men and bog men used? That's what I mean by tainted. Its all about inclusiveness and equality IMO. If that is where we want to be then we need to cover the needs of those people and introduce an Irish language act.

0 |

RJ, my TL;DR version was gonna say nah m8 it's Nat a dead language but I thought I'd try to back it up with a bit of detail.

Personally I have no real interest in learning it myself, picked Spanish over it in school. But there's no denying there is a massive movement toward learning and supporting it which seems to be getting stronger year on year

2 |

What exactly is the debate over exactly. That there should be state funded Irish speaking schools? Is there a figure on how many or any details of how much money and for how many schools?

0 |