Choose a discussion

NI Politics

Sinn Féin getting fairly shown up here regarding this welfare reform farce. Seems like they've been caught out spoofing to their electorate and the facts about it are stacking up against them. IMO, it looks like that they've cooked this up to try and win votes from the vulnerable people who would be interested in the welfare reform (that they claim to be looking out for) and they've been caught out. It was either a lie, or they just got the facts and finances completely wrong. Either way their excuses reek of

This is why folks need to protest vote and vote Alliance or Green. It's clear the DUP and Sinn Féin aren't capable of being realistic in running the place. The DUP and their backward views, then Sinn Féin and their blatant spoofing. I don't understand why people cant see through it all.

I don't think I need to go in to reasons why the DUP shouldn't get any votes, but their views on equality is reason enough, alone. Sinn Féin make these wondrous claims to win votes (it would seem by preying on the vulnerable, in this case, and people who actually have real issues and shouldn't be used as political ammunition)... then you've got the stories of SF being involved in IRA sex abuse.

People need to use their vote to show that we don't want this nonsense any more. Stop the tribal nonsense and use your vote to damage these two main parties. It's the only way things will change.

1 |

SF have plateaued, there's only so many of us tribal voters out there.
SF and DUP have to get on with fulfilling all the pre election promises now and be seen to be making a new government work
Would make sense for the SDLP and UUP to push for an official opposition, they're not gaining any ground with their current half in half out

0 |

seems voters in nationalist areas don't care so much if ya are a nationalist party or not. less tribal it would seem

0 |

0 |

don't understand how the Dup vote went up when less people were voting for them this time.
it defies logic

0 |

I'd say the problem is those who moan about the dup don't bother their lazy arse voting and technically don't vote for anyone.

0 |

The DUP vote went down but the general vote went down also. SF/SDLP vote dropped more than the DUP vote so that meant DUP getting same number of seats for less votes.

0 |

All the main partys had a drop in first pref. Votes

0 |

Asked my folks who'd they vote for and got the time honoured response that all oldies come off with "DUP cause we have to keep SF out" I just facepalmed at the sheer amount of bullshit that statement contained, told them of they voted that way again I was having them sectioned

7 |

Keeping SF out is another way of saying keeping nationalists in general out. It's no coincidence that the pbp candidates were both elected in perceived nationalist strongholds

0 |

The best thing the shinners could do it retire the those tainted by the conflict and iRA campaigns ... bypass the whole RA argument

0 |

good man Jim, straight back to fleg -

0 |

Praise the Lord!!!

0 |

Lol@this reply

@JimAllister And shite like that is why the TUV have only one seat and why God has smote you with a silly voice!

0 |

Even if SF dropped the old guard tomorrow the DUP would continue to play the orange card every election. The fear of a UI is so ingrained in the PUL community. Can't see that changing too much.

0 |

Aul gregory the banter King...

"Excellent election results. SF long term plan just got an awful lot longer. I am breaking the habit of a lifetime to send best wishes to Raymond McCartney Shinner MLA in Foyle, why you may ask??
Because he's a bit more successful at electioneering than he was at hunger striking."

0 |

Is it his real account?

0 |

Not sure. Seen NI politics show tweeting about it so assumed there must have been some truth in it. Was skeptical too.

0 |

as if it's the Ra that's the problem for them.

0 |

McKay was never in the Ra

1 |

Sadiq Kahn was never in the Ra

0 |

it is funny.

0 |

Is that David Guest back from the dead?

0 |

0 |

Choreographed election lets Stormont off the hook

"The DUP and Sinn Féin did all they could to clear the election campaign of dangerous obstacles."

"But instead of being challenged, the two parties who have spearheaded a hugely dysfunctional government since 2007, enjoyed a crisis-free election and were returned to power."

www.thedetail.tv/artic...

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |

www.derrynow.com/featu... The night Eamonn McCann finally got elected.

0 |

set phasers to cringe

0 |

ehhYehhhhhhhh

0 |

Eamon is a pacifist but he's not a tout so I'd let him live but no chance I'd ever vote for him or watch his YouTube links.

0 |

I'd go out of my way to watch his YouTube links and publicly shame on the Internet those who do.

0 |

Things will be different at Stormont this time – here's why
BY GERRY CARROLL

www.belfastlive.co.uk/...

0 |

i must be the only cunt in his political sphere of influence aged 18-30 that didn't vote for him.
8, 000 votes? I wish there was 8, 000 people in that sphere worth knowing. Unfortunately I think 7, 999 of his supporters haven't left their house and GTA5 online since last Thursday. And the other one, my mate Barry is already regretting voting for him since he ran out of weed last Friday.

0 |

it's PBF, you can slag them.
what are they going to do? Boycott me to death?

0 |

makes a change to hear gerry not mention bankers

0 |

NI Assembly: UUP will go into into opposition at Stormont

The leader of the Ulster Unionists, Mike Nesbitt, has announced that his party will go into opposition at Stormont.

He told the new assembly at its first sitting that the move "heralds a new era for devolved politics at Stormont and a big, bold step forward to normal democracy".

He added: "Let battle commence."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

Wise move. What's the SDLP at then

0 |

SDLP claiming they are progessive now and want to fork a alliance with alliance greens and the other parties. gerry Carroll told them to basically fuck off and they are on decline lol

0 |

Yes and no ministers - the executive under opposition scenarios.

0 |

So DUP/SF coalition (lol) is running the place and the rest of the parties are now in opposition. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out and how DUP/SF will go about making excuses for each other or blaming each other if/when things don't happen or materialise. I think this is going to be good for politics here. Hopefully it'll help people focus more on the outcomes of the political party/government policies, rather than just voting for the tribal aspect of it. Also think it's good that both the government and opposition are a mix of the 'two sides'.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

1 |

Big Clare Sugdon, remember the name.

0 |

Any relation to Mollie?

0 |

steven Nolan talking some keek tonight. what's new I guess

0 |

Arlene's new hair do's lovely, do you think she fantasises about Marty wailing into her in a back office in Stormont, probably?

0 |

Arlene would probably strap one on and wail it into Marty, tbf

0 |

This opposition carry on will hopefully get things moving over here. Sounds like a mad idea but just might work.

0 |

so we have the 'governing' parties of SF and DUP who generally oppose each other and the opposition parties of the SDLP and the UUP who will invariably oppose one another..

makes sense

0 |

the North is a basketcase. Just get rid of it.

0 |

It's funny what the desire to be in power can do to you.

0 |

Go into opposition?
It is actually going to help get things moving, cos SF and DUP will be pushing ahead with things like the A5 and Magee campus and say to those on opposition look what we done

0 |

Detectives have arrested loyalist Winkie Rea in connection with the murders of John Devine 1989 and John O’Hara 1991, based on Boston tapes

0 |