Choose a discussion

History Books

I like a good history book. Any recommendations?

0 |

The Bible

0 |

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |

Howard Zinn. People's history of u.s is good book. Useless if you're after Irish Celtic history though.

0 |

Reading Niall Fergus on Empire at the minute, great and fascinating read about how the British Empire became so fecking big and we have the Dutch to thank for it

0 |

Any particular place/period? ANthony Beevor has written a few gooduns about the Nazis an that, quite easy to read as well some history books are so dense you wouldn't dream of reading them cover to cover ha.

1 |

Yeah those Anthony beevor books are great, particularly Berlin.

1 |

Oxygen: The molecule that made the world. A history of why thing are.

www.amazon.co.uk/Oxyge...

not probably the kind of thing you intended but the best book i have read. ever.
there are a couple of dense chapters midway through but worth the struggle

0 |

A Short History of Nearly Everything.

2 |

Must give that a blast, Pav. Big props there from you for it.

0 |

Love history books. Hated the subject in school too. I'll check out Beevor

0 |

I second takki's choice, it's a great book. Very good at explaining highly complex science in an entertaining and informative way without dumbing things down too much.

0 |

I'm not too keen on human history. It's always biased as fuck. I love scientific history, though. I find it totally fascinating.

0 |

How the Irish Became White - Noel Ignatiev
Ireland & Empire - S.Howe
Paisley, Religion and Politics in Northern Ireland - Steve Bruce

0 |

I'll give that a go Pav. No particular period. Probably pre 20th century.

0 |

J.M. Roberts. History of the 20th Century is a heavy read but worth it. Took me about a year in fits and starts as it has so much info I found it overwhelming after about an hours reading.

0 |

Niall Fegusons books are also good as mentioned above. The Secret History of the World by Jonathan Black is also worth a go though it's theories won't be considered worth the time for most people

0 |

Cobra 2. Iraq invasion.

0 |

i.imgur.com/TeE2Y3pr.jpg

"un-cooperative", surely to God

0 |

Why not explore this and other alternative spellings in a Foundation spelling course!

2 |

en.wiktionary.org/wiki...

0 |

Octopuses / Octopi / Octopodes

0 |

wow. everyday is a school day.

0 |

every day*

0 |

every-day**

0 |