Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Some of the faces in that video are ridiculous

1 |

Racist.

1 |

Awesome for the sci-fi geeks...

This Star Trek Enterprise Virtual Tour is VR Ready and Absolutely Incredible

www.roadtovr.com/this-...

0 |

I'm seriously starting to lose the buzz about vr. If nothing comes out shourtly after Christmas time I will be dissapointed. And might wait till the following winter to try it out.

0 |

The Oculus Rift "will be released in Q1 2016".
HTC Vive/Steam VR - talk of end of this year (to beat Oculus and Sony releases).
PlayStation VR/ "It’s going to go to market in 2016".

0 |

This seems a bit worrisome:

www.theverge.com/2015/...

"Bullet Train uses teleportation because it’s one of the safest ways to move in virtual reality (putting players in a vehicle or using a distant third-person camera are others). Even plans to add a rideable escalator were quickly squelched. "We sent this to Oculus and they're like, 'Mm. No, nope, nope, nope, nope!’ They felt queasy on the way down," recalls Donaldson. "

Sounds like it's going to be a long time before movement is worked out in VR games?

0 |

Not really, sure we all know VR is only suitable for certain types of games and will offer a heightened better experience for others. Still think VR Horror 1st person games will be hard as fuck to sell whereas exploration type games will be incredible

0 |

this looks fun

0 |

0 |

Absolute fuckers I would've bought that but it's not compatible with my note4

0 |

Oculus is working on eye tracking technology for the next generation of VR

uploadvr.com/oculus-is...

0 |

They need to get this one out and working before they start on the next one. The more I hear about oculus I fear they are big on the ideas but actually turning that into something is proving harder.

0 |

Good write up on VR/AR - m.fastcompany.com/3052...

0 |

Imo augmented reality devices will be the big winners here, closed vr systems will be for the gamers and enthusiast crowd but sticking on a cool pair of shades or glasses with a world of information poping up in your vision in real time is where it's at.. imagine walking down a street and looking at a resturant and up pops it's rating, reviews, menu and ability to ring and book a table all from simply looking at it from the street or walking around London and having all the cool history pop up whenever you look at a particular building the possibilities are endless.. add in hi Def facial regonition front facing camera and suddenly as your walking down people's Facebook & twitter feeds pop up above their heads... AR is definitely where the future is at

0 |

But it needs to be full field of view with eye tracking, probably what about 5yrs out

0 |

Google already fucked the wearable gadget market by highlighting the fear people have of ''the man' watching everything they see or do with google glass.

0 |

Info popping up in front of you all the time would get wile annoying pretty quick

0 |

Some might be interested in the details of how FB built their 360 video tech: code.facebook.com/post...

0 |

Clean that's on the extreme side and besides it'll all be tailored to individual taste, but the possibilities of AR done right are limitless. Heck even driving with limited info on your window screen could be useful, nighttime driving could have the edges of the road highlighted far into the distance to help, small warnings of approaching tight bends or sudden stops hidden from view letting the driver know to slow down coupled with a truly intelligent personal AI assistant.. future is pretty fucking rosy tech wise

0 |

8i receives $13.5 million for 3D human capture

uploadvr.com/8i-receiv...

0 |

See ASUS are apparently making a HoloLens device too - I thought it was just the software that MS were letting people use but apparently they've licensed the hardware designs too. Interesting to see if this causes reduced pricing whenever it comes to market

0 |

Any more word on the FOV being improved in HoloLens? I still think HoloLens will be super niche for a good few years to come. The costs, the size of the hardware, the pick up by 3rd parties all just make me think it needs quite a bit more R&D to get to potential mass consumer release.

In other news...

The amount of big players in media getting on board with this type of technology is getting pretty mental...

New York Times partners with Google to ship over 1 million Cardboards for NYT VR app launch
uploadvr.com/new-york-...

0 |

They said they were trying to improve it - there's a $3000 developer-only version out in the new year, so I think they're aiming for next Christmas as a consumer release, potentially plenty of time to improve the FOV a bit.

0 |

This is also looking promising for future devices/tech...

"But what does this mean specifically for VR and AR? It means that with this chip you could be running gesture, eye tracking, positional tracking, depth perception, and 3D object recognition simultaneously on a mobile device by mapping the algorithms to a single core while the CPU and GPU handle the actual application itself. While this doesn’t mean that the chip itself will solve some of the biggest remaining problems for VR and AR, it means that when we do figure out the right algorithms to use, we will have a way to power them. And from the sound of things, the major industry players aren’t sitting back quietly."

uploadvr.com/this-chip...

0 |

www.engadget.com/2015/...

0 |

Magic Leap releases incredible new video as company gears up “to ship millions of things"

Yesterday, the Google-backed startup Magic Leap broke its silence at WSJD to reveal a new 1-minute video showcasing what its technology can do while also providing hints that the company may be closer than originally thought to revealing a product.

uploadvr.com/magic-lea...

0 |

After the whole buildup of Hololens and then subsequent actual real world workings I'll not hold my breath on this one. In order for AR to properly wow me I need to see it as a full view product not a window up in the corner

1 |

What RJ said.

0 |

Well, TBF, Magic Leap haven't shown off what way their tech is displayed to the user. If Magic Leap beat Microsoft to the start with it's AR, and with a better product, I fear for Matthews mental state.

0 |

If it's a better product, it's highly welcome! I heavily doubt it though, that video is really, really poor.

0 |

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they have. They've been super secretive about it. Video doesn't really show much. If it's using Google's Project Tango tech, it could be decent. The way the little robot goes behind the table leg, so the system does seem to have surveyed the room/objects pretty well.

0 |

That's about the only interesting thing in it there - but what about the hardware? How does the view look to actual human eyes? etc. etc. Hololens might have misleading Youtube videos, but at least journalists have been allowed hands on time with actual units.

0 |

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. Good to see that their are other players in the AR market, though. I wasn't sure whether Magic Leap was going to be full VR, partial AR, full AR.

0 |

Does the robot actually go behind the leg. It's hard to tell in that video but it looks like it just sits in one place in its world coordinate system but the viewer moves around it. Maybe as the viewers coordinate system may be different to the one of the AR video, it appears as though it moves???

When they speed up photogrammetry processing, they could do it all on one camera and one projector. Get X, Y's as well as more accurate Z's. I don't read into AR/VR too much, so maybe it is something that has happened. It shouldn't be too long before you buy a cheap scanner an play games as yourself. Bring on the point clouds!!

0 |

There are some super amazing things that will come soon with AR. I don't even know how much I can say (due to NDAs) but a set of glasses and a simple program could seriously revolutionize several industries... and it will!! A patent would be a good thing lol

0 |

The robot goes behind the leg as the viewer moves. But it shows that the system has some way of mapping distances and depth of field, which is exactly what Project Tango is all about...

0 |

"I don't even know how much I can say (due to NDAs)"

What do you mean?

0 |

Project tango is doing something Sony has been doing for years then? Creating a game/experience based on something you are looking at. The difference being that Sony just use a picture where as these guys (I guess) use a laser, so they can get depth?
It's hardly like their 3D scanning tech hasn't been around for 30 years and they're not doing anything Microsoft or Sony haven't already done. They're just combining techs a bit more..... they're just like Apple

Maybe I am missing something here?

0 |

Sony has been doing it for years? I'm not sure I'm following at all. Did you watch that YouTube video?

0 |

yes, they scan a room, a corridor, a stairwell, and a few other things, quite badly. A tech that has been about for a very very long time. I could get you better 3D models from a phone than what they show, i just wouldn't use lasers and it would be slower than theirs. But I am a guy on his own, they're a big company.

They go on to say how they could augment a game based on what your looking at. Can't the Kinetic and Vita both do this?

They use robotics - no way, thats the future right there

They use the accelerometer on the phone - mind blowing

---

All I can see them doing is merging existing techs and none of it is even very new

0 |

idClip, you *almost* sound like you know what you're talking about.
Who's you sign an NDA with?

0 |

it defo the type of field where you can just wing it, thats for sure, glad to be getting away with it so long tbh, im saying no more

0 |

0 |

0 |

www.nytimes.com/2015/1...

0 |

Google Cardboard’s New York Times Experiment Just Hooked a Generation on VR

But Cardboard’s crudeness is also its genius. It’s cheap enough to be handed out for free; we smartphone users supply the only part that’s expensive. The Times and Google could afford to drop about 1.3 million of them in the newspaper. That’s 1.3 million people who said to themselves yesterday, “Wait, you mean this VR thing is something I can have right here, right now, too?”

www.wired.com/2015/11/...

0 |

0 |

Ragin the cunts didn't make this compatible with the note4

0 |

Palmer Luckey. He basically started it all, too. Mental. All from a bit of tinkering in his garage. He could have created one of the biggest changes in entertainment.

0 |

0 |