Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Aye, it is a wee bit annoying. Not sure how good a lot of it is, as I haven't been able to try any myself, but it will filter down. No big deal.

Have you tried 'Chair In A Room' yet, RJ? lay.google.com/store/a...

If not, get that and make sure you're using earphones and standing so you can fully turn around and look everywhere.

0 |

Ordered one of I am Cardboard. For the sake of $24.99 including shipping, may as well give it a go. For the novelty value.

0 |

www.oculus.com/storyst...

0 |

This will be awesome it's live events... bgr.com/2015/05/28/goo...

0 |

*when it's live events

0 |

0 |

This is cool. Pretty trippy.

www.augmentedrealitytr...

0 |

The Morpheous can't get here soon enough tbf, dying to try out a proper VR kit

0 |

Had a go on a galaxy gear/note 4 VR thing at this event I'm working at. It was a promo thing but reckon ors be quite cool with a full game. Virtual forumming

0 |

Here RJ...

0 |

0 |

Oculus press conference in an hour...

0 |

www.rockpapershotgun.c...

linkage for it. unless you have a better one takki?

0 |

Interesting - www.polygon.com/2015/6...

0 |

Not that impressed tbf. that mircosoft bit was a load of wank, who wants to sit in a virtual room steaming an xbox game onto a virtual screen when you have both devices? if it was stream xbox one games using your pc hardware i might be a bit more impressed but realy cant see the appeal. If it was a load of mates in that virtual room all having the craic it might be different but he said that might be in the future not at launch. No real games showd that excited me but still interested in getting one.

0 |

Never had a housemate who didn't want to watch you play games, sumguy?

0 |

Yea but i would just go onto the pc and play on a proper monitor. If they are offering streaming to pc as an option anyway i dont get why you then would want to go into another room, stream a game onto your pc and then play it on a virtual room on the rift. it was full screen stream i would get it, but this virtual room seems like a load of aul shit.

0 |

You don't, you stream from the Xbox One direct to the Oculus, or from a Windows 10 PC direct to the Oculus. I'm sure you can make the virtual screen much bigger if you wanted.

0 |

0 |

0 |

Virtual reality Star Wars experiences are coming this year

www.theverge.com/2015/...

0 |

Have the YouTube videos always has a cardboard option or is that new? Stone milker is class.

0 |

Awesome...

0 |

tbf its those sort of experiences i'm most looking forward too, for instance if the team behind the Assassin's creed games simply built 1:1 accurate representations of various cities throughout antiquity to allow you just to wander about and explore Ancient Rome or Memphis, Egypt as the great Pyramids are being built. Killzone Dev's build a future city block and Crytek create a Dino island to run about in. I dont need something to shoot, id happily spend hours just wandering about

0 |

i know Crytek are creating a dino island game, meant to be fecking awesome

0 |

Yeah, serious potential. If they do that, how hard could it be to add in some sort of gameplay element on top, though? I'd have thought the most of the time to create games like that would be world design? Then again, some of the engines coming out now seem to make it fairly quick and easy to create large areas, with plenty of variety.

I kind of like the idea of an open world/sandbox style game (think GTA V, which is already VR compatible, albeit modded, but still works really well) where you can just freely move about a city, but you're a cop and have to investigate crimescenes. Cases build and build (like levels), until you've got some crazy mass murderer on the loose and you're looking at blood spatter and shit. Would be amazing in VR. Being able to lean down and look under things, talking to people, looking at the facial expressions, etc, etc. It'd be easy to create sequels, too, once the foundations are there. Could even be GTA style and be in other cities, or other times in history.

0 |

I'd say world building pales in comparison to getting the mechanics and systems working tbh and as for worlds to explore, i've no interest in GTA admittedly amazing game world, i've already visited a dozen or so real world places similar.. nah give me shit to explore that i haven't a hope in hell of seeing.. i.e. Mega City 1, a proper Jurassic Park or Rome at its height

0 |

seriously though, the talented fuckers at Rockstar need to set the next game a 100yrs in the future

0 |

Had a rip on one of those google cardboard things earlier. It was a lot better that I thought it would be. I watched a video of these k-pop dancers. Its was excellent. Very immersive. Some sort of haptic feedback gloves and a fleshlight would really set the whole thing off.

1 |

Watch Robinson The Journey prototype running on Oculus Rift

Just a few days ago Robinson: The Journey was announced as an exclusive VR game coming to the Oculus Rift in 2016.
Now, thanks to AMD, we can see the first prototype footage of the game running on an Oculus Rift Crescent Bay prototype headset. Click above to watch the video, which demonstrates short gameplay segments from Back to Dinosaur Island 2, a VR prototype that’s current in development, and which hints at the setting and story players can expect to encounter in Robinson: The Journey.

www.theriftarcade.com/...

0 |

Hopefully gonna get down to that First Life Exhibit at Nat. Hist. Museum before it ends

0 |

Tickets booked for next weekend :) www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/wh...

1 |

Nice!

0 |

www.popsci.com/augment...

0 |

Famed for this baroque and gothic-styled paintings, Zdzisław Beksiński was a Polish artist who used paint, sculpture and photography to create some truly surreal artwork.

Now, 10 years after his tragic death, some of his most distinct and unusual works are being brought to life like never before using virtual reality and the Oculus Rift headset, thanks to 11th Dimension, a Polish development team founded by Jakub Ruszała.

De Profundis is shaping up to be an intriguing and beautiful experience for the Oculus Rift. One which demonstrates how virtual reality can be used to explore art in new and exciting ways, and how the medium can be used for cultural experiences.

www.theriftarcade.com/...

0 |

0 |

0 |

Museums are using virtual reality to preserve the past – before it’s too late

econversation.com/muse...

0 |

0 |

More about Henry www.wired.com/2015/07/...

0 |

0 |

www.engadget.com/2015/...

1 |

0 |

Google developer gets VR to work with Renderman

In a surprise “announcement” at a SIGGRAPH Pixar afterparty, software engineer from Google Mach Kobayashi presented a way to render graphics into a virtual reality format using Pixar’s proprietary in-house software solution. With a few segments of code and an understanding how omnidirectional stereo imagery and ray tracing works, those developing on the Renderman platform can begin exporting animations for virtual reality.

uploadvr.com/renderman...

0 |

i.imgur.com/AckNsBP.gifv

0 |

haha wtf

0 |

0 |

Decent for a spot of pblicity, but it's a bit pants to be getting an award, tbh. There are plenty of other more worthy demo/experiences/story VR productions.

1 |

valravn.cedarpoint.com...

Cedar Point's Giant New Coaster Will Shatter Ten World Records Next Year, heres it in VR.. havent checked it out in VR but i wish Barrys would get something like this in

0 |

This is teh first thing I've seen that actually makes me think "Yes, we actually have a consumer ready product on the way".

0 |