Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

I'll give Matthew Metro, I think it's a great UI and one of the things I miss about windows phone, if the rumours turn out to be true and MS actually release proper top tier handsets I could see me going back to Windows phones

0 |

That's exactly what it's like as described by people with their heads not up MS big hairy arse, you know the ones that could see through the awful shite that is Kinect

0 |

Aka not you

0 |

Matthew • 12 minutes ago
BTW takki, re: Metro, isn't it funny how a few years later, the two other major operating systems have switched to a similar flat design UI?

There is nothing wrong with the style. It's good. It was the implementation of the UI which was daft, and ultimately proven to be plain wrong when not using touchscreen, when they put back in the ability to have the UI focus more on the start menu and desktop again, if the user wished. You were the only one singing its praises and that Microsoft would be wrong to stop forcing it on people. Thankfully, Microsoft saw sense.

0 |

What happened to your Windows Phone, RJ?

0 |

I was due a new phone and a: there was no new high end phones out or coming out and b: I really liked the look of the note4 which at the time was rocking the best of everything plus I'd never had an android phonr

0 |

Gotta disagree there takki - the things I've always liked about Metro have been Live Tiles, the Start Screen, and the responsive-design sandboxed apps. If anything, MS is doubling down on these things in W10.

0 |

All this holo lense talk is over shadowed the news that the rift actually has a release window now. With specs, games and I would imagine a price all having to be announced in the next month or so. If it all adds up it will be a day one pre order for me.

0 |

Metro on a desktop or laptop is utterly fucking stupid and shite.

HoloLens sounds shite too!

0 |

"Metro on a desktop or laptop is utterly fucking stupid and shite."

Exactly. And Matthew trying to justify MS forcing the convoluted UI usage on desktop and laptop users at the time was just proof of Matthew's hardon for all things Microsoft, no matter how clearly wrong they were. Thankfully MS caught themselves on with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

0 |

takki just making entire things up now, bully tactics 101

0 |

lol what am I trying to make up?

0 |

your slegging his beloved MS, he's worse than an apple fanboy

0 |

Matthew • 2 years, 6 months ago
They should just turn off the desktop UI, and they will, before Windows 9 comes along imo. Thank god.

It's not users who are shite at computers that are the problem, it's people who have learned just a little bit and refuse to learn anything new. Metro isn't going away (Desktop is), so it's time to start learning. Progress shouldn't be held up by a minority of luddites.

Pointless. Better ripping off the bandage. Wish they'd gone full whack and just completely re-done Desktop to look full Metro actually.

lol ;)

0 |

Quoting me in "say anything to annoy the shit out of takki" mode doesn't prove anything ;)

0 |

haha... most of those responses were directed at other people, but I appreciate the effort to conceal how incredible wrong you were ;)

0 |

takki.. Kinect is the future of MS & X1 just you wait and see...

0 |

RJ, with all you're going on about Morpheus, I wouldn't talk

0 |

Yizzer all actin like pdf files right now.

0 |

I haven't made any silly claims about Morpheus

0 |

Spoofin'...?

0 |

Can't see Sony allowing a direct competitor to Morpheous on it'd platform, MS on the other hand need all the support they can get from all corners after hololens goes the way of Kinect

0 |

This insane virtual reality theme park lets you fight dragons and fly spaceships

uk.businessinsider.com...

0 |

Speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt 2015, Oculus VP of Product Nate Mitchell did not give specific details into pricing, however, he did offer some insight as to what we could possibly expect.

Mitchell revealed that the Oculus Rift due to its higher-end, high-fidelity experience is going to be “a little more expensive” than the Gear VR, which currently has a $200 price tag.

www.oculusvrnews.com/o...

0 |

No price no specs no minimum requirement no actual date no pictures... Ffs leek what exactly did they announce that we didn't already kinda know

0 |

0 |

motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |

Racing games and space sims would be fucking class with one of these and VR.

www.feelthree.com

0 |

FOVE, The Virtual Reality Headset Controlled By Eye Movements, Launches On Kickstarter

echcrunch.com/2015/05/...

0 |

great article here on the recently released Rfits high end specs and Sony's chance to steal the mass market www.gamesindustry.biz/...

0 |

RJ that article reads like a Mac book owner but hurt that it won run on his laptop. Oculus said from the start it was going to be top end. Although I'm surprised at how high they have gone, for a new game changing tech its not exactly unreasonable. I have said before we are going to be held back by the ps4 games and graphics wise. My gfx card can't handle it but going to buy one anyway as know the games released will.take much less to run as they will be made with the ps4 in mind.

0 |

"Even if they meet those specifications (which even most high-end gaming laptops don't), you need your HDMI port hooked directly up to the GPU, as I understand it, and most laptops don't work like that."

^^RJage.

Makes some reasonable points in regards Sony getting the foot in on the mass market, but I don't think those specs came as a surprise to many, really. Those are the specs Oculus recommend to get a great experience from VR (across the board - that's what they've told devs their games need to run on, well). They gave those so people would know that if they have that minimum spec, they'll have a brilliant experience. If anyone was thinking they'd be able to run an Oculus on their £499 PC World computer or Acer laptop, then they're daft.

The thing about the Sony headset is that not much is known about it, or what type of games the PS4 can manage with it. The Rift has had people using their DK's for ages now. There are hundreds of demos, numerous games and loads of hacks/ports (fairly recent games running really well on it, too e.g. GTA V, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Elder Scrolls Online, ARMA 3, Dying Light, etc). They all run pretty well even now without full dev support or coding actually into the games originally. I don't think anyone (realistically) was under the impression VR was going to be a cheap and easy tech to get into, especially if they wanted it done really well and wanted in on the action from the start. It'll def take a few years to come down to the mass market, in relation to PC anyway, but look at it this way; smartphones took a few years to trickle down to mainstream, so did tablets... it's hardly going to be mainstream in the very first year it's hit market. That's pretty crazy to think that it would.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It will depend on my money situation and the price of the Rift, too. I would maybe consider getting one and not bothering with the minimum specs and just seeing how it runs without any upgrades, and then decide from there what I need to get. If it does look like it's going to be a fairly huge upgrade, then it would be handy if they were stocking it in high street retailers so at least you have the option of easy returns. The way my PC is at the minute, I'd say £300 would get it sorted for the Rift and gaming in general for many years to come. Plus I could flog some of the stuff in my machine, too.

0 |

I'm the same takki. If the rift comes in at 300 to 400 I will just get one and see how it goes. I'm not far off minimum spec and imagine as long as in not playing ultra realistic games I should be fine. If not it's either a bit of overclocking or a new gfx card but by then they will hopefully be about 200 quid.

0 |

Aye, there is probably 10's to 100's of thousands of people already on the recommended spec and millions of people who would be not far off the recommended spec. There'll be a market for it, no doubts. That article would make you think it only in the reach of millionaires and folks with supercomputers.

I'd say nVidia will be doing offers on their cards around Rift release, whether in partnership with Oculus, or just off their own back in the knowledge that there will probably be a huge market for people thinking about upgrading, and a great deal will push them into the purchase.

0 |

Gotta say im ragin about the whole laptop thing fo sho although I'll need to check to see if my dell's videocard is directly connected to the port, Im Hoping it is cause it's a workstation type machine but then again I can see me buying the Morpheous anyways

m.neogaf.com/showthrea... check this thread out over at neogaf.com it contains links to a lot of recent VR stuff to download for your phone

0 |

Think they only work on Samsung's, RJ. I tried a few a while back and they didn't open.

0 |

Oculus Rift Total Package Price: Around $1,500
recode.net/2015/05/27/...

Oculus Will Finally Talk About Controllers at E3, CEO Teases
recode.net/2015/05/27/...

0 |

that's the handy thing about the Morpheus, i already have the camera, and the forward thinking boyo's at sony built in tracking on the joypads which means the basic package should hopefully be fairly chep, wonder if they'll take a hit on the hardware to get it into the masses, also those move controllers do a fantastic job from the looks of the heist demo

0 |

I reckon a full Morpheus package, console and all, could be around the £600 mark.

0 |

If it is Wayne that doesn't sound all that bad. Would be tempted to buy a ps4 if it came in a bundle that cheap.

0 |

That Starwars thing looks great although it looks like it's 'on-rails' for the most part with some manoeuvring within.

Imagine that with full freedom.

0 |

reply fail - that was for the gaming thread i guess.

1 |

Google's Immersive 360 Action Flick Is So Realistic It's Not Believable

Google released a new 360-degree immersive video on its Spotlight Stories app yesterday—the first featuring real human actors instead of animation. It’s an action-packed short directed by Fast & Furious director Justin Lin. I downloaded the 1GB 360 video and took it for a literal spin (I was sitting in a swivel chair). It’s so realistic it’s almost problematic.

Read more: gizmodo.com/googles-im...

0 |

Just downloaded that thought it was gonna be cardboard compatible it's just a watch through your phone flick, only checked out the first few seconds

0 |

Yeah Sumguy, if Morpheus reviews well and I can get a package at that price, I'll be on board.

0 |

Google to bring virtual reality to the masses with its ‘Expeditions’ and ‘Jump’ platforms

www.androidauthority.c...

0 |

Just downloaded a wee cracker VR app from the play store called InMind Vr on rails 3D jobby with pretty cool graphics

0 |

Google's new Cardboard experiences convinced me VR is here to stay

enextweb.com/google/20...

0 |

Google’s new Cardboard experiences convinced me VR is here to stay

enextweb.com/google/20...

0 |

all the really good Android VR stuff is locked away behind the Oculus app which will only activate once it detects a gear VR is attached ffs and its still too expensive to warrant a purchase for "the craic"

0 |