Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

How do you get a rip on one of these vr things? Where'd you get a go takki?

0 |

Just bought Cardboard and stuck my phone in, Jim.

0 |

Didn't know you could do it that way. Must give it a go.

0 |

Titanic: Honor and Glory on Oculus Rift DK2

0 |

That looks cool takki. But was that not an unreal tech demo years ago for the older unreal or crytek engine or something? Good to see stuff like this tho, I think this kind of thing is what interests me most in vr. They dont seem to be doing to we'll on the funding, you would think they could got to the couple of museums with titanic exhibits looking for funding or something, would be a shame for it not to be finished.

0 |

That one seems to be done in Unreal Engine 4 -

There was a Titanic demo thing done in CryEngine, I think. Not sure if this is based on it or not, but the CryEngine one was FAR more detailed. It's was basically photorealistic. Cant seem to find it now.

0 |

It won't be long before there are photo realistic recreations of loads of historical places and buildings and you will be able to download and walk about in VR.

0 |

People saying they don't want games, all they want is somewhere to explore, like that Titanic thing.
Do you not thing after exploring a few environments, and then once you get over the initial "wow factor" of VR, you're gonna want something that is at least objective based. Something to *do* rather than just walking around going "wooooooowww".

0 |

These are proof of concepts. It's not like this is 'all there is to VR'. These are just one of the avenues VR will have. The reason there are a lot of these basic style, walking, exploratory demos is that they are manageable for small dev teams, or individual people to create. SOme are even already made and are just updated/tweaked to work with VR.

If you really struggle to see the potential in VR or see the multitude of software released for VR as being boring, no fun, whatever, even though the basic demo's that have been released are nearly all from tiny dev teams AND pre hardware release/developer tinkering, then you must have such a poor imagination.

Market analysts reckon augmented and virtual reality to hit $150 billion by 2020. That's only 5 years. They're saying that it is like the anticipation of smartphones, just before the iPhone came along. The market is there, it's just waiting for that 'special product' to kick it off.

0 |

I has a go on the roller coaster and personally, I think it was shit. Not just because it made me feel sick, just because it was a bit shit. "Wow, it's like being on a really bad version of a roller coaster with none of the fun bits or g forces"

I think VR has a huge place in our world, not going to say how as that would put me in jeopardy of intellectual property but Microsoft are working on something similar. Think service and repair

0 |

On Cardboard or Rift, idClip?

I'm not that keen on the Roller Coaster's either, tbh, but there was one 'VR ride' which def gave me the heebie-jeebie's on the cardboard. They're good for just something quick and basic to show people who wouldn't normally be in to gaming etc.

0 |

Calm the beans Takki, I was just replying to Sumguy's "I think this kind of thing is what interests me most in vr" comment. Like he is most interested in experiences where you just dander about.

0 |

I am calm. I'm just saying that I find it hard to understand how people can struggle to see the potential, even from what has been released already. There is still comments about on how there's 'no decent games' out yet, etc. There's been loads and loads of small productions and demos, and the hardware hasn't even been commercially released yet. Surely that says something, never mind the huge companies getting in on the action (Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Sony, Valve/Steam, HTC, etc).

But about what your were saying about exploring and getting bored after the initial wow factor, I get your point, but I think there will be enough content as time goes by for you to have a stream of new material.

Do you remember when MicroSoft Encarta came out and it was seen as the next step in encyclopedias? Bringing in digital multimedia. Then Google Earth with its satellite imaging and 3D buildings. This is the next step, I think. Rather than just reading, watching and listening,and looking at still maps from above, we'll now be able to get right into the places and events. Throughout time.

I cant wait to be able to learn about and explore ancient and historical places like I'm actually there. Maybe important points in history being reenacted for you to stand on the side lines and watch. It's going to be unreal for education. Imagine being able to sit in The Colosseum and watch a gladiatorial contest, or watch the Normandy landings, or stand on the Moon and watch Apollo 11 touch down and Neil Armstrong take his first step onto the surface. The speed at which graphics are improving it really won't be long before these sorts of things are super real looking.

Class.

0 |

I can absolutely see the potential in the in VR, I just find the story of VR so far to be very frustrating. OR went public a long time ago, and we still don't have a product on shelves yet.

I think E3 will be the turning point. I think after E3 there will be a real sense of "It's coming, we're getting VR soon!"

0 |

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see what other hardware appears. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of the bigger developers are working on for VR, too.

0 |

Wayne I'm generally more interested in exploration games now even on the pc without vr. It's just there are very little out, all these demos that are being shown off for vr is exciting to me. The likes of dear ester, gone home and the Stanley parable all are great examples of ideas that require very little else apart from good environment design and the user to explore. Mix that with vr, real places and history and you have a massive opertunity to explore. The traditional games wil come for vr. I'm. Just saying what excites me is the potential to visit and walk about places that we can only read about in history books.

0 |

Occulus takki

0 |

Did you try anything else on it??

Wayne, just noticing that that Titanic demo is going to be a game, eventually... www.titanichg.com/story

0 |

I played this a long long time ago.
It was shite!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

0 |

No, just the roller coaster. There was a queue

0 |

Looked a bit more into that titanic demo. Seems it is the same people, was a crisis2 mod to start with then started making in into a game in cryengine. Seems they have moved it over to the unreal. Looks interesting.

0 |

www.titanichg.com/demo Just had a blast on this, nice way to spend 20 minutes. If they can pull off the whole ship with the quality and detail that's in that demo i will be impressed. Would like to see the poorer parts of the ship. Takki its worth a look at as its free. Had my Gfx card pushed to the max, never heard it working so hard before.

0 |

Now We Know What It Feels Like to Be Invisible

"...they had people put on a virtual-reality headset that showed the view from a second headset, mounted at head height on nothingness. If you were in this getup, a scientist would touch you with a paint brush while simultaneously touching the nothingness in the same place, as though a body were there. So as you felt the brush, your eyes would be telling you that the brush was touching your nothingness body."

"When a scientist swiped a knife toward the invisible belly, people’s heart rates went up and they broke out in a sweat, the classic stress response. When put in front of an audience of serious-looking people staring them down, “visible” people also got stressed. But the “invisible” people—not so much. They felt so completely invisible that their bodies responded as though they really were invisible. Since the audience couldn’t see them, there was no reason to feel uncomfortable."

enomena.nationalgeogra...

0 |

Finally, Oculus announce the actual release of their product!
www.oculus.com/blog/fi...

0 |

Wonder when some info on pricing will come out...

0 |

E3 is going to be pretty interesting this year I'd say.

0 |

E3 will hopefully have loads of info on HoloLens too.

0 |

Hololens sounds exactly what I thought it was after reading a handson, shite...

0 |

lol, no chance you actually read something. I'll definitely be getting one when they come out, I suspect they'll do a Developer kit device first.

0 |

Matthew you'd buy a double ended dildo if it came packaged from Ms ffs

1 |

You'd have to buy the one that had the most ends though

0 |

Or highest definition vein ridges.

1 |

In all seriousness, the tech videos and "potential" in the footure are good once the thing has overcome the huge problems that no one is really addressing, the field of view is terrible, the resolution is terrible and its quite bulky and heavy.. It's Kinect part 2 and will bomb heavier than your X1 purchase

0 |

Nobody said the resolution was terrible actually - there were plenty of people who had the January demo who said the FoV seemed smaller than it was before, but hopefully they'll be able to boost that a bit before launch (which they haven't even fixed to a specific date yet). Even still, go read the articles by media people who are normally Apple-lovers and you'll see that most of them were still very impressed by it, and excited by the tech.

I actually don't give a shit whether it bombs or not - I think AR and VR both will have extremely difficult times making an impression on the general public and there will be a lot of bombs - I just want one for myself.

0 |

"Currently, the layer of augmented reality (what Microsoft calls holograms) appears within a small box in the center of the display—far from an immersive experience. Think of it as a window: You can only see holograms through this window, but everything peripheral to it is plain old reality. It’s sort of like the AR version of tunnel vision. And because this window is so small, the only way to get a full view of these holograms is by changing your perspective—in other words, moving your head—something Darren clearly isn’t doing in the demo"

0 |

'kin hell you plonk, I already said there were plenty of comments on the FoV thing!

0 |

That sounds shit tbh and not at all what the videos show, so in other words that mahoosive video wall that the demos wow you with... Utterly useless as a: you'll be viewing that video wall through a small square video window and b: you'll have to move your head all around and only ever see 1 part of it.

I thought the holographic projection was across the whole lens and filled your field of view from left to right, not some poxy little video box centered on your vision... That's just shite

0 |

FOV and resolution are everything when it comes to immersion in VR or AR and Hololens is woefully subpar on both

0 |

What does immersion have to do with AR exactly? Unlike with VR, it's not a deal-breaker at all. I'm going to wait until a final hardware specification actually gets announced, you go ahead with your pessimistic bleating though.

0 |

You just keep drinking the MS sponsored koolaid

1 |

Aye dead on. Here's a good article showing what they experienced: www.neowin.net/news/ro... far from a deal-breaker for me, especially if they can increase the vertical FoV a little bit. But I know going in that I'll be buying early hardware, and am happy to do so, just like the people who bought the early Oculus Rift dev kits.

0 |

"people who are normally Apple-lovers" hahah as if this is anything to be impressed by.

0 |

To get outlets like The Verge using enthusiastic language about an MS product is a fair achievement tbh

0 |

Too little is known about HoloLens for me to decide on it, really. It seems cool, and will definitely have it's uses, but for entertainment or day to day uses, I'm not sure it is quite there yet. Here's my issues:

1. Cost - It's not just a display, it's an actual PC (from what I gather), so I reckon it will be based on a basic spec at an expensive price point (due to its compact form factor).
2. Physical Design - Based on it's size and bulkiness, it's just not an everyday device, currently. The argument will come back saying about the size of the Rift etc no doubt, but the thing is, those devices are designed for personal use in a room, at a computer. I just don't see the realistic practicality of walking about with a fairly large headset to look at my calendar, check the weather, or to watch video on (which comes on to my next point). In a workplace/educational environment and the like, I think it will have it's uses, but until it's scaled down, I cant see it being picked up by the mainstream which, therefore, will make it a niche product with little going for it apart from workplace/educational environments.
3. Visual quality - I'm a little unsure about how they will manage to get quality visual definition. Certainly not to the level which would beat watching a movie on a decent TV screen, anyway.

1 |

Oh dear. I hadn't even seen those FOV articles until there now. That is pretty poor, tbf.

Sure remember when Matthew said the Metro UI was the best thing ever and that Microsoft were right to force it on everyone, whether they had a touchscreen device or not? In other words, it seems like it's very, very easy for Matthew to get caught up in Microsoft's marketing and to completely lose his grasp on what is a good idea, and what is a wee bit daft.

1 |

Here's what hololens looks like, take a wee 1st gen smartphone with a shitty resolution and small screen, switch it to camera mode and hold it a couple of inches from your bake... Whoaaaa amazing.... Yawn

0 |

I'm sure none of the wild predictions about VR on this thread will come back to bite you on the ass ;)

0 |

I genuinely thought the display was wrapped across the whole lens which would've made it superb but it literally is like I just described, a small square screen placed center to your vision that the computer overlays onto, outside of that small screen there's nothing..

0 |

BTW takki, re: Metro, isn't it funny how a few years later, the two other major operating systems have switched to a similar flat design UI?

0 |

How can you literally know what it is like RJ? Literally.

0 |