Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

0 |

Love the idea of this sort of thing. Multiple story lines going on, interweaving, you choose you you follow them. There's great possibilities for whole new ways of delivering narrative in VR based stories.

'Tabel’ Trailer, An Experimental VR Film by Google

0 |

Foveated rendering should be on its way pretty soon..

HTC Vive Is Getting A Plug-And-Play Eye Tracking Peripheral Next Month

uploadvr.com/7invensun...

0 |

Foveated rendering is really needed to make 4K+ screens viable, they really need to eliminate the screendoor effect

0 |

Some folks here saying 'foveated' like it's an everyday word.

1 |

lol decent info and demonstrations of it here, Choc - www.theverge.com/2016/...

0 |

"Sharp believes it has fixed this problem with the introduction of a new IGZO panel made specifically for use in VR headsets. Sharp has managed to increase the resolution of a 2.8-inch IGZO panel to 1920 x 2160 (that’s over 1,000ppi). What that means is placing two of those panels in a VR headset and using lenses still allows for magnification, but there are no visible dots anymore. And a side effect of the higher resolution per eye is that any headset using these IGZO panels can claim 4K virtual reality as a feature."

www.geek.com/tech/4k-v...

0 |

lol takki, the 1st line in your link sums it up "Okay, I'll admit, I just like saying "foveated rendering" because it makes me sound smart."

1 |

VR, IMO justs needs a few addictive simple games to get the ball rolling, then worry about graphics shite. Resi VII graphically isn't great but by fuck, the jump scares really get me! The pool game Hustle Kings works really well in VR too.

I can imagine some kind of shoot-em-up like Ultratron in VR would hook me.

0 |

Nah choc it needs a proper AAA sci-fi/fantasy RPG tbf something that can not only immerse you in another world but also be fucking decent to boot, if Bethesda bake VR proper right into their next release it could be the kick in the balls it needs

0 |

Fallout vr still on the cards for this year.

0 |

My wife has been very sceptical of the whole vr thing. Told her fallout vr was on the go and she was an instant convert lol

0 |

I'm dying to give Super Hot VR a blast - Super HOT VR Gets Pretty Intense imgur.com/5re5MS7

0 |

Saw a comment on a article I was reading the other day which seemed pretty realistic about VR:

"Giddy anticipation mixed with realistic expectations and some patience seems like the only rational response to me. The first round will be over-priced, under-powered and a bit jank. But it will still be a complete revolution. Video games have painted themselves into a corner of marginal graphical improvements mixed with the same gameplay paradigms. We’re supposed to get excited about the pores on Nathan Drake’s face or the fact that the Just Cause 3 island is bigger than the Just Cause 2 island. But we’re supposed to yawn and look skeptical at Virtual Effing Reality?"

This was the article:

Your VR Apathy Is Entirely Understandable -
kotaku.com/your-vr-apa...

0 |

One of VRs biggest obstacles for me is the on-rails necessity for nearly every game.

0 |

Will it always be like that?

0 |

on-rails? quite a number of games allow free movement

0 |

Well, on-rails plus third person I mean. I know there's a few first-person free movement games, but they're in the minority and there's a definite reluctance by developers to use it because of the motion sickness problems.

0 |

Yeah, there's quite a few on-rails type games, but some of them are great. There's lots of free movement stuff though (never mind the stuff like Eve: Valkyrie, Elite: Dangerous, Assetto Corsa, and all the other cockpit style games)...

Minecraft VR

Alien Isolation

Dear Esther

Lone Echo

Half-Life 2 VR

A Mage’s Tale

Lands End

Obduction

Chronos

The Gallery Episode 1: Call of Starseed

Edge of Nowhere

Then there's all the shooters, which are meant to be amazing fun, like...

Robo Recall

SUPERHOT VR

Raw Data

0 |

On rails was the wrong term, I just meant the opposite of free movement. The last 3 trailers you linked all show that kind of thing. The teleporting mechanic is okay, but its not the same.

0 |

As much as you can tell from trailers, this looks pretty amazing...

0 |

TiltBrush on real canvas: augmented reality painting

0 |

Unity CEO Predicts Multiple Sub-$1,000 VR Headset Systems By 2019

“It might take into early 2019 but it’s certainly in the 2018-2019 time frame — sub $1,000 for the entire package…We’re probably going to see 4-5 executions of this toward the end of 2018 and certainly into 2019…The sub $1,000 solution I’m talking about will be untethered.”

uploadvr.com/unity-ceo...

0 |

Epic’s Tim Sweeney Thinks Full-Body VR Scanners Are Just Three Years Away

“What we need are inward and outward facing cameras that scan your body. That’s what’s missing. That technology has already been proven to work at a high-end commercial level costing tens of thousands of dollars. It’s probably as little as three years away.”

In addition to beefing up our social capabilities with enhanced body tracking, Sweeney also believes that leaps in deep learning technology will also allow VR to host experiences that put traditional gaming to shame.

“That’s going to open entirely new kinds of game scenarios,” said Sweeney. “Today’s best role-playing games aren’t at all convincing. They aren’t even trying to approach reality. But once we have deep learning and input, we’ll be able to do much more advanced interactions beyond just killing monsters.”

uploadvr.com/epics-tim...

0 |

This looks class. There's definitely a steady improvement in VR games going on.

0 |

I want a version of better than life from red dwarf.

0 |

0 |

0 |

Google Reveals WorldSense Standalone VR Headsets, Working With HTC

Google just announced it's working on its very own standalone VR headsets at its I/O conference. Meet WorldSense.

uploadvr.com/google-re...

0 |

This looks pretty mad

0 |

and this

0 |

Potential Bethesda Leak Suggests Skyrim VR Is In The Works

uploadvr.com/leaked-ro...

0 |

HTC & Intel to Offer High-end Wireless VR Solution in “Early 2018”

www.roadtovr.com/htc-i...

0 |

Kinda scary having a wifi device strapped to your head

ortalvhds8vvm7z0zbcg8n...

0 |

"DisplayLink technology is capable of delivering dual 4K signals at 120Hz."

That's exactly whats needed for VR, that an Fovated rendering should make 2nd gen VR headsets a real upgrade

0 |

And full AAA games starting to come out as well. VR is def looking good for the future.

0 |

I would absolutely love to be playing Skyrim for the first time in VR, fuck I loved that game and stuck near 200hrs into it, it’ll be some craic with all the sex mods loaded into it…

Really hoping this PSVR demo tomorrow blows me away

0 |

Yeah, though I'd say playing through Skyrim in VR again, even after playing it normally, would still be a great experience. Just play as a different class or something to change it up. The amount of missions etc would probably mean that the storyline would still be entertaining, plus all the dungeons etc that you probably never found before.

I reckon mage class in VR would be THE SHIZ. Also, when Skyrim and Fallout come our in VR for PC, think what the modders are going to do with it!

0 |

All the other mods, I mean. Not the sex mods lol

0 |

All anyone will be interested in will be the sex mods, c’mon let’s not kid ourselves here, granted once the novelty of walking around Whiterun with all the inhabitants switched to large breasted amazonians, it’ll be great to replay and explore in VR especially with all the better villages and GFX mods

0 |

EPIC

0 |

M8 I'll make this a quick one but by fuck I was seriously impressed, with PSVR, he had it running on a pro and I'm buying one, cardboard? Fuck me it's day and night difference, your not looking at a wee screen up close, your in the game, no screendoor, no edges, you're just in the game... Need to talk the missus into it nai seeing as I spunked £350 on a pro

0 |

What games did you play on it?

0 |

Need to do a stand in presentation on VR for a guy on Wednesday at work for a bunch of 16 yr olds visiting the office for the day. Have a hololens to use but know nothing about the thing and VR in general.

So...hit me with high level intro stuff I can talk about that will impress and anyone know what I should set up on the hololens for this?

0 |

No nothing about hololens RP so cant help you there, maybe check to see if there's a Minecraft demo

0 |

Only played a few minutes of the descending into the deep wan, again felt like you where there, the 3D effect is just phenomenal, everything has a sense of scale that you just can't get on a TV, a few minutes of the Heist demo, where you're sitting in a smokey bar and some dude is talking to you all I could do was look around an marvel at the graphics, v realistic, played Eve Valkyrie, holy shit I'm in a spaceship flying amongst massive ships and the roller coaster horror one, all of them where utterly brilliant.

The technology is impressive as hell, actively tried looking for the pixels but give up, the field of view is excellent and the responsiveness of both the headset and the move controllers is top notch, man Google cardboard is so so shit in comparison infact it would put you off it so I can only imagine what a Rift or Vive would be like, but Sony have built an incredible headset, you litterally can't feel it once it's on, it fits snugly, it's light and whatever voodoo magic lens/screen it's using works a treat... Fuck I want one

0 |

If you get a chance try batman. Gonna buy farpoint and give it a go.

0 |

That's the thing about RJ. The experience makes up for the lower resolution etc. All the VR hardcores that I'd watch videos of on YouTube all say the same. The sheer immersion makes all those issues vanish, as long as the game/experience you're playing is actually good. You should have a look back up through this thread and look at all the trailers and videos for VR stuff that I've posted, then imagine what they'd be like when you're actually playing.

0 |

Cardboard was designed as a 1st gen VR system and one that was/is capable on running on lower spec'd Android devices. Google Daydream is where Google is at now for the more premium mobile VR experience. There's already been several very good games released on it, and the graphic/visuals and controller are meant to be very good... but you need a handset capable of it.

0 |

M8 you really need to try it, Sony have built a fantastic product and like you said the immersion in the game is second to none, seriously considering buying this for skyrim VR and two other m8s who tried it loved it and are thinking of buying, can only imagine how much fun Star Trek bridge crew would be to play with your m8s

0 |