Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Microsoft Reveals Acer Mixed Reality Headset

Acer will be first to ship a $300 mixed reality headset for Windows developers.

Microsoft is showing some commitment to the idea of Windows Mixed Reality (formally known as Windows Holographic) with not just a single headset, but with five headsets. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP and Lenovo are all on board with Microsoft to put mixed reality into the hands of the consumers when Microsoft launches Project Scorpio, a high-end, 4K capable version of the XBox One.

Though Microsoft will first target Windows 10 based machines and Project Scorpio, XBox One owners will be thrilled to know that they won’t feel like the kid that’s been picked last during a kickball game because the headsets will not only work on Windows 10 PC’s and Project Scorpio, but they will also work with the the standard XBox One, starting with Acer.

During the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco this past week, Microsoft provided some information on Acer’s mixed reality headset, which will ship to developers in the upcoming weeks. The headset will feature two LCD screen with 1440 x 1440 resolution and a 90Hz refresh rate along with an inside-out tracking, which means you can move around in the mixed reality environment without the need for external sensors. Microsoft plans to seed early version of the Acer devices to developers so they can have a solid foundation of mixed reality experiences readily available to consumers for its eventual launch. The Acer device will be priced around $299.00 when it becomes available to consumers.

0 |

Dont know why i find a driving simulator game interesting. But i really want to try that.

0 |

Class

0 |

Class

0 |

Class

0 |

Giphy Just Launched a VR Museum of GIF Art

Giphy has launched a new VR app, Museum of GIF Art (MoGA), that looks to be the first ever virtual reality GIF art museum. This first MoGA exhibition, dubbed Loop Dreams, features works by 20 artists.

0 |

0 |

Trinity Teaser Trailer

A first look at interactive VR sci-fi series Trinity, coming soon to headsets.

0 |

‘Lone Echo’ Developer Shows Impressive Procedural Hand-posing System for VR

www.roadtovr.com/lone-...

0 |

video about the above article

0 |

really great use of VR

0 |

0 |

^^ Gorillaz music video in 360 video/VR

Serious amount of new media coming out with VR in mind. Music video are prime for the medium.

0 |

0 |

Fair play to gorillaz they always seem to be on point with new tech and being creative.

0 |

Yeah. Not sure who was first to do it. Bjork did one a good while ago, also <3

0 |

Fallout coming to all vr headsets it looks like, going to be revealed at e3. That has the potential to be the 'system seller' vr has been waiting for.

0 |

wouldve preferred Skyrim VR tbh, much better game, more sex mods an all...

0 |

But its a good thing means they are working on vr, so would imagine their next big RPG should have it built in.

0 |

0 |

0 |

Augmented reality of the future?

0 |

You watched the black mirror ep where they all have the record function built into their heads? Would mess with your head soo much being able to call back any moment you have ever seen.

0 |

Yeah sumguy. There was definitely a Black Mirror vibe off that short, also. It's mental how fast technology is advancing these days.

I was listening to a podcast the other day about this woman who could remember everything about her life since she was young. Apparently people with the condition are often melted as when they're sitting doing nothing, trying to get to sleep, etc they literally have all their life memories running through their heads.

Here's the article - www.theguardian.com/sc...

and the podcast of the article - www.theguardian.com/ne...

Really interesting.

0 |

Will check that out. Couldn't think of anything worse remembering everything. I have enough cringe attacks of random things i remember from years ago. Dont think i could handle knowing everything stupid thing i have ever said or done. Have a mate who always recalls every night out in detail that does my head in enough.

Luckey leaving oculus. The whole story will make a good film in 20 years when every one is plugged into vr.
www.wired.co.uk/articl...

0 |

0 |

www.pcgamer.com/htc-is...

This is straight out of a black mirror episode. The future is exciting but also scary.

0 |

This sounds like an interesting idea for VR:

Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall? Have you ever wanted to perch, unseen and unnoticed, while fascinating events play out for your observation? An upcoming virtual reality game from Tequila Works will give you that experience.

The Invisible Hours is a VR murder mystery set in the 1870’s. Seven people are trapped in a gothic mansion on a rain soaked island in the middle of a lake. These people don’t have much in common except that they are all suspects in the murder of the mansion’s owner — Nikola Tesla.

That’s right, the famous inventor is dead and it is up to you to figure out who did it. While most VR games put you in the first-person shoes of a main character, however, The Invisible Hours makes you a ghost.

More info: uploadvr.com/the-invis...

0 |

Think someone was asking about Time Crysis style games for VR. This is being described as Time Crysis meets VR.

0 |

Google Brings Berlin Techno Club to Life in VR

Google, in a partnership with underground music broadcaster Boiler Room, has launched a new VR experience for the Google Pixel that teleports you to a pop-up “industrial night club” in Berlin — a city with arguably the most thriving nightlife in all of Europe (if not the world).

vrscout.com/news/vr-da...

0 |

Full body tracking is coming along

0 |

Some pretty cool advances in VR tech coming out at the minute. Seems to be developing really quickly, and not slowing down.

uploadvr.com/intels-me...

0 |

[Gameplay] First 10 Minutes of 'Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality'

0 |

The Extraordinary Honeybee (Teaser Trailer) | A 360 VR Experience

0 |

I wish they would hurry up and drop the price of the headsets already. The market has to be at a point now where people who wanted to buy one at a premium have already bought one. I hope they dont go down the same business model as phones and keep them at a premium until the new version comes out then not sell the older version. Still no massive games out yet but there is enough stuff out that interest me to spend 400/500 euros to try it out. I played about 20 hours of euro truck simulator last weekend without vr, think i would spend hundreds of hours at it if i had vr and its as good as i hope.

0 |

Love this guys VR stuff

0 |

0 |

Lenovo’s Windows MR Headset Arrives In August For $399 Says Insider Member

Microsoft has so far only offered vague windows for the launch dates and prices of its Windows 10 Mixed Reality headsets, made in partnership with a range of companies. However a report today may have revealed specific details for Lenovo’s take on the concept.

Information comes by way of Ross McDougall, a member of the Lenovo Insiders program, who was reportedly briefed on the situation this month. McDougall claims that Lenovo’s kit will be arriving in August 2017 for $399. It will have a 1440×1440 display and weigh 380g. It will reportedly work with select HoloLens software and launch with the Lenovo Entertainment Hub, which allows you to play many traditional 2D games inside the headset (though it’s far from a pleasant experience).

uploadvr.com/lenovos-w...

0 |

this hololens tech & VR in general wont catch on big time (i'm talking mobile phones big) until they can get it into glasses and not bulky headwear, also the hololens & VR tech need to merge and simply use a wraparound see through OLED screen, that can overlay info in hololens mode whilst allowing the user to see through it before switching into full on VR mode for a differing experience, best of both worlds in one piece of lightweight slimline tech all powered wirelessy through either your mobile phone or desktop/laptop

0 |

Sounds straight forward...

0 |

lol RJ you think everything is shit/won't catch on until it's Star Trek Next Generation level.

When the first cars came out people took the piss saying they'll never catch on or be better than the horse and cart. Same with TV (over radio/wireless). Same with computers (programming knowledge needed). None of the were all that 'good' at first. Compared to those, VR has pretty decent launch tech.

0 |

Except for PSVR, that's going to catch on big time just because.

0 |

VR has a niche audience at best, PSVR sold i think 900,000 units, a good number and twice that of the PC wan's but its nowhere near enough to be considered a runaway success or the next big thing and certainly hasn't entered the public consciousness anywhere near like the original Wii for instance and simply wont due to its technological infancy, m8 i want it to succeed just as much as the next tech nerd but at the moment i know one person with a VR set and its now relegated to the odd show off or tech demo, the technology is simply not there at the moment, we have 4K mobile screens but we dont have anywhere near the GPU power to run them at the sort of frames VR needs and as for hololens another fantastic concept hamstrung by current tech that has kinect written all over it

0 |

HoloLens seems to be getting a lot of traction with large engineering industrial companies at least, but I'm staying away from anything VR/AR for another few years, no point investing all that money until something becomes worthwhile

0 |

Also, RJ: full stops are your friend.

0 |

Well all the biggest tech companies in the world must be wrong then ;) Google, Facebook, Apple, Sony, Microsoft, etc...

In ten years, we'll see where it's at. It's been 10 years since the 1st mainstream smartphone was released, the 1st gen iPhone. It sold 6.1 million units. This was in a time when mobile phones were common as muck, so it wasn't really a brand new product. PSVR has sold about 1 million since it's release (then there's the other headset sales), but they are brand new products. They're not going into an market and ecosystem that was already extremely well set up and had been running for years prior to that. If you think that VR has to be some sort of amazingly slim glasses with insane graphical power, yet have no development/break through period then you'll obviously be waiting a while.

There's also all the other avenues which VR/AR has. You may have seen that there's been quite a few 360 cameras coming on to the market. Facebook has been working to enable 360 videos in their social media. There's also the AR side of things in terms of in home media. Why buy a TV to take up a huge whack on your wall when you could get a VR/AR headset that can 'project' a far bigger TV onto your entire wall? If you didn't have to put in several hundred pounds into a big, physical TV, you could put it towards a VR/AR headset. There's also the sports viewing side of things, something which has already been dabbled in with mainstream sports and is already fully set up in esports. The idea that you can be on the sideline, in the stadium, even on the playing field while the action goes on around you.

Back to smartphones, though. Compare your smartphone in your pocket with the original iPhone from 10 years ago. It would be night and day. Tech moves quickly, especially when you have massive companies behind it pushing it. There is already pretty decent, working tech for monitoring your eye movement in headsets, this may be able to assist in providing those insane graphics you're wanting by only processing the ultra sharp graphics where your eye is looking while using lower graphics for your peripheral vision. The headsets are getting smaller and lighter all the time. There's OLED screens with higher res still to trickle down, graphics are getting much more powerful year on year, and requiring less power (less heat --> less size).

0 |

Takki I think you’re misunderstanding me, I’m not saying the technology isn’t viable in its present state or isn’t the future, what I’m saying is that in order for this technology to become as widespread in its use as a smart phone and be used by everyone (remember literally everyone and their fucking granny was using a Wii at one point) it needs to shrink and yes we all know how tech progresses and gets better and smaller through each iteration, personally I think until such time as they can get the tech into glasses using wraparound transparent OLED screen tech then VR/AR will simply be a niche product enjoyed by geeks/industry sectors.

0 |

Yeah, there's no way it's going to be mainstream any time soon, but how long did it take from the first mobile phones until they were mainstream? Online gaming was a niche thing on PCs for donkeys until consoles caught up. Its just the way that it goes with new tech. But the fact that in VRs first year or so it has the interest it does, has to say something for it. And if the interest in the mobile side (GearVR, Google Cardboard and Daydream), and the more enthusiast side (PSVR, Rift, Vive) continues at a reasonably steady rate, and as more and more games, experiences, video, sporting, etc it should progress pretty quickly towards the end goal, a real life version of a Black Mirror episode. Happy days lol

0 |

When you can get a all in one system for 400 quid or less is only when it will be in most peoples houses. The wii was able to make it into every house because of the low price. Flat screen tvs and dvd players were a rich mans game untill 2 or 3 years after release purely because of the price. Dvd players went from being over a grand to people cant give them away in the space of 10/15 years. Hopefully the type of experience available in the rift/vive will be able to be achieved by using your phone in the next couple of years. Some of the multiplayer experiences i have seen for the rift are primed for when Facebook decides to implement it into facebook. I think even they are just waiting until the units are in more hands before making the jump.

0 |

VRLA 2017 Day Two Keynote Address by Justin Roiland

Justin Roiland, the “Rick & Morty” creator and newly-minted founder of the VR studio Squanchtendo dives into the surreally funny possibilities of the medium in his keynote, remarking "What does the future of VR hold? Will there be more wizard games? Are grandmas real? What IS a wizard really? Are there wizard grandmas? How does this factor into VR? I did all this (simple) math and then made a power point presentation that I **think** maaaayyybe has these questions (and more) all figured out. Watch this incredible keynote address on the state of VR! You juuuust might learn something, maybe, I don't know. I can't make any promises on that because you may already know everything."

0 |