Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Jaguar uses VR for the launch of their first ever electric vehicle

vrscout.com/news/jagua...

0 |

I love that car. It looks like a bloody concept car. The next car I buy is probably going to be 100% electric. Cant believe i'm saying that.

0 |

It looks class. Haven't really looked into it in any detail though. Will be interesting to see how it and other electric vehicles compare. It's a bonkers huge market that they'll all be fighting over.

0 |

m.facebook.com/story.p...

0 |

0 |

Fuck this looks terrifying. Lower your volume, this guy screams a few times lol

0 |

100 quid of the vive and free shipping brings it down to £659. Still expensive but not completely over whats acceptable for such a new thing.

0 |

£700 nicker is far to much, would definitely wait for 2nd gen if there's gonna be a 2nd gen...

0 |

I agree it's expensive. And I'm still going to hold off. But I suppose if I was one of the people who spunk 700/800 notes evey year on the newest phone that comes out its not completely overpriced.

0 |

www.facebook.com/HuffP...

would say it would be funny working on one of these booths for a few days watching people try figure it out.

0 |

All these were made in VR with Tilt Brush

www.facebook.com/uploa...

0 |

If thinking of getting the psvr would it be best to get the PS pro? I know initially there mightn't be a difference but with future releases would there be a difference?

0 |

1 |

I think already reports say the pro is better for vr. But that's kind of a joke. Don't know how Sony's getting away with pretending people with a standard ps4 will be fine for psvr and won't need to upgrade at some point to get real use from it.

0 |

0 |

0 |

Anyone get VR for Xmas? What's the opinions?

0 |

Yes I did. I have a nasty rash which is quite itchy, but nothing has fallen off yet.

0 |

Sorry, misread you're post. Please ignore.

0 |

M8 bought it, loves it have yet to play it myself, looking forward to a blast soon

0 |

Just got a wee headset for the phone seems pretty sweet working my way through insidious app here. Any good linkage for free shit hook a brother up

0 |

Android phone? If you have a scan through this thread from the start you'll find some other stuff. I posted some links a few replies into the thread. Nearly sure there was some other links posted for Androids/Google Cardboard along the way, too.

0 |

IOS some is universal if im not wrong though

0 |

‘Alien: Covenant’ VR Experience Coming From ‘The Martian VR’ Dev

"Alien is coming to VR, it’s been announced today, but not in the way you might think. Twentieth Century Fox’s Fox Innovation Lab is working on a new VR experience to tie into the upcoming Alien: Covenant with the help of RSA Films and MPC VR. While the film itself is directed by series creator Ridley Scott, the icon is executive producing this piece while short film maker David Karlak is taking up directing duties."

uploadvr.com/alien-cov...

0 |

Here, is a wee VR experience lately that I forgot to post about, but I'm late for work. Tell y'all laters bitches.

0 |

All New PSVR Discounts on PlayStation Store (Ending Jan 20th)

www.hotukdeals.com/dea...

0 |

Pretty basic at the minute, but could be an early showing of things to come in VR down the line - www.viveport.com/apps/...

0 |

This looks class

0 |

www.bbc.co.uk/programm...

Anyone been watching this. Some really cool shots and maps being made for vr. Plus all that underground Italy stuff is really interesting.

0 |

0 |

"Throw yourself into the void 250 miles above Earth in this Virtual Reality spacewalk. Inspired by NASA's training programme and the astonishing experiences of its astronauts."

0 |

Been watching some videos of people using Google earth on the vive,. Really does look cool.

Also good to see resident evil doing so well on the psvr. Shows that with a bit of effort AAA games can be successful in vr.

0 |

It'll be interesting to see what some of the big developers have been working on the past couple of years, regarding VR.

0 |

End of the Rift?

www.polygon.com/2017/2...

0 |

Nah, it's wee buttons in the grand scheme of things. If anything, the lawsuit gives an idea of how much the VR tech and industry is worth/will be worth. If VR wasn't thought to be going to be as big, then they probably wouldn't have had to pay out as much.

0 |

Yea but could be an end for the rift itself as if they want to be dicks zenimax can now not let the rift use their code, so could be the end of the rift headset. Or else they give them a cut or something.

0 |

Their attorney was wanting $6 billion before the ruling, so they may be arsey and cause trouble until they can get some more out of Oculus. Doubt they'd want to stop Oculus from continuing in their business, though. They've got more chance of getting more mula if they continue.

0 |

*if Oculus continues trading/selling the Rift, I mean

0 |

0 |

Interesting idea

0 |

House scale VR

uploadvr.com/gable-new...

0 |

www.facebook.com/uploa...

0 |

FOVE and AMD Take Aim At Improving VR Rendering

FOVE developed their own VR headset, which was funded with over $400k in contributions via Kickstarter. They staked the claim that the FOVE 0 is the very first VR headset capable of eye-tracking and they use a “foveated rendering” technique that produces full-resolution imagery where a person is looking and spends fewer resources on images in the periphery.

The result of foveating is something that closely mirrors the way human eyes function. In the press release for the announcement, AMD’s Director of VR Darryl Sartain says FOVE gives them the crucial ability to render high-resolution where it matters. The demo shows off a baseline GPU improvement of 30% which is more than enough to be impactful, but the team occasionally say improvements of 100% which nearly doubled the framerate. The CTO of FOVE, Lochlainn Wilson, says they’re still learning about foveating “but these early improvements are very real and very exciting”.

uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-...

0 |

0 |

Unreal Engine 2017 Features (VR Editor and Optimization)

0 |

0 |

LGs new headset

uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-...

0 |

Another new headset in development - uploadvr.com/chinese-c...

0 |

Hands-on: ‘Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul’ is Poised to Become VR’s Next Big Frightener

"Jump scares are universally hated by horror film and game enthusiasts alike for being ‘cheap thrills’, and are oft considered the low-hanging fruit of the genre. Suspense and existential dread however are much harder to manufacture in a horror game, and from what I’ve seen at this year’s GDC, Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul has it in spades. As it stands, this isn’t some short ‘brand engagement’ piece like we’ve seen in the past either, but rather a true game that’s clearly intending to approach AAA status."

www.roadtovr.com/hands...

0 |

0 |