Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Nah Wayne. I'll maybe bite at a 2nd/3rd gen #PCMasterRace headset when they come out. It'll depend on price and what else I have going on in RealLife 1.0

0 |

After all your enthusiasm, you're gonna wait for like, another 3 or 4 years?

0 |

yeah Wayne im not getting that either.. ffs Takki i thought you'd be all Apple fanboy on this shit

0 |

Who knows. I just spunked 400 noop on a gfx card, so I could end up getting one start of next year after I get back from Asia. But if I've got something else I'd rather spend the money on, then I'll do that. You can be interested in something without being first on a bandwagon. I'm happy to let things progress a bit, also. 1st/2nd gen brand new tech is always a bit pants compared to when when the dust settles once the consumer tech is refined and the market allows for competitive pricing. Sure look at the 1st couple of iPhone/smartphones. They were pretty shite for the cost of them.

0 |

Sure Oculus hasn't even released their first gen hand controllers yet. They're still on 0.5 gen.

0 |

even manages to throw in a blatant I'm going to Asia reference an all...

1 |

this looks like it good be fun

0 |

lol @ the place getting wrecked and all. That does look like a bit of fun

1 |

That vid you posted the other day looks pretty freaky, Wayne :/

0 |

looks the sort of game to hang out in with your m8s when the missus wont let you out to actual bars

1 |

Least you wouldn't have the melt of trying to get a taxi home after too

0 |

...or a beating from bouncers and an arrest from trashing the place lol

0 |

plus you can always mute that annoying m8 who wont fuck up

0 |

What a time to be alive ladz

0 |

I wonder can you do a virtual line in the bogs?

0 |

ESL One to be broadcast in Virtual Reality

0 |

Disney and 'Blade Runner 2049' is Coming to the Oculus Platform

www.ovrnews.com/disney...

0 |

ore.steampowered.com/a...

0 |

1 |

Some of the creative arts possibilities in VR is brilliant. I would love to have a blast at that graffiti one.

0 |

Snooker champion R. O'Sullivan leans on a virtual table

0 |

Microsoft Reveals $300 VR Headsets With 3D Windows Push

uploadvr.com/microsoft...

0 |

Can't wait for more content like this as VR becomes more popular

Filming Iguana vs Snakes - Behind the Scenes 360° - Planet Earth II

0 |

Yeah, when I'm watching a nature documentary about lizards I'm always thinking "this would be way better if I could turn my head and not look at the lizards"

0 |

I would say the bbc nature docs have sold a fair few hd tvs last gen. Wouldn't be surprised if its the same for vr. Perfect use of the tech. Cant wait for more like that. One thing if anything i didnt like about planet earth 2 was it kind of seemed fake. like when you see a really good professional photo of a landscape or something you know, it looks amazing but you just know you cant see that with the naked eye.

But when we start getting vr videos like that of the moon or mars. Or even just places around the world it will be amazing. Google streetview isnt that many years off a fully explore-able 360' world.

0 |

What you on about, Waynus? Did you even watch the video?

0 |

Belfast in Google Earth now has 3D buildings everywhere. I was looking at the houses around the area where I live and checking out their extensions out the back and things. No idea how it's done, but it pretty amazing.

0 |

yea only found out about that google earth 3d stuff the other month. spent a good few hours scooting about round were i grew up and parents live. great tech.

0 |

Takki, what I mean is, once you have free head movement in a scene, you have essentially cut out the director of the scene. You could be completely missing the action by looking at the wrong part of the scene.

0 |

"You could be completely missing the action by looking at the wrong part of the scene"

fuck if only someone would invent a "rewind" button

0 |

Aye, that's ideal isn't it.

0 |

This is a pretty cool development...

HTC Vive Goes Wireless

Oculus may be closing out 2016 with a bang with the launch of its Touch controllers, but HTC is going to kick off 2017 with something special: a peripheral that makes its Vive headset wireless.

HTC today announced a tether-less VR upgrade kit for its SteamVR device, made by TPCAST, one of the first of 33 companies to join the Vive X Accelerator. A preview version of the kit was shown off today at Alibaba’s “11/11” global shopping festival in Shenzhen, China. This is not the wireless prototype device in the works at Quark VR.

uploadvr.com/htc-vive-...

0 |

saw that earlier. obviously the vive 2.0 will be wireless in not so distant future.

0 |

Yeah, there will be decent advances in the next year or two, I'd say. That's the reason I am holding off. Wireless, lighter, better screens and cheaper.

0 |

see oculus have lowered the spec of the pc required to run the rift. Not sure if thats a software thing they have done to make lower end pcs run better on the rift. Or are they shitting it because it isnt going as well as they thought so just going to try sell as many as possible now even if they dont run so well. Also might be devs just are not making enough games that hit the min solid 90fps.? Seem strange either way.

0 |

Nah, it's new processing thing (asynchronous something or other) which basically makes VR stuff run better, so it will then run on lower spec machines.

1 |

Your new card has nVidia processing in it which makes VR run better, too. Simultaneous Multi-Projection and Single Pass Stereo.

nVidia are also working on eye tracking tech too, so I'd say there will be eye tracking in near future versions of VR hardware.

0 |

Here sumguy - developer.oculus.com/b...

0 |

Hopefully a bit of a price drop on the cards soon then. Whats it like back home for people getting psvr? Not really heard anyone talking about getting one. When im back home for christmas i plan on heading down to one of the shops to give it a go. You think many teens would be getting it for Christmas?

0 |

apparently the Pro making a big difference to PSVR, pushing it into PC territory

0 |

Any links, cus what I've read so far suggest that very few games make use of the extra horse power that the PS4 provides.

0 |

Also, can we have a moment of silence for all the kids who get PSVR from their parents who had no idea you needed the playstation cam as well? Poor kids waking up on Christmas day to a present they can't use.

0 |

no official links, just what i've read over at Neogaf from owners of PSVR who've bought a Pro and saying there's a real big noticeable difference to patched games, added details, sharper visuals, longer draw distances etc

0 |

Google Earth VR released
uploadvr.com/google-ea...

0 |

0 |

Anyone know anywhere in town where I can trial PSVR?
Getting some vouchers for Christmas and am very tempted to put them toawards a PSVR, but not until I at least try it. Are game still doing the £5 for 20 minutes thing?

0 |

yeah give Game a bell and book a trial, apparently its meant to be ok and not the HOLY FUCK WHAT CUNTS the internet made it all out to be

0 |

fuck this looks pure class vr.google.com/ear

0 |

0 |

didnt realise this had been posted

0 |