Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

Haha

0 |

Lol what was she playing? Still reckon horror games would be a no no

0 |

There is going to be so many cases of people falling out windows etc. The vive must come with a hell of a lot of warnings and leagal stuff.

0 |

0 |

Class

0 |

0 |

Some cool VR stuff with the New York Times VR app - www.nytimes.com/market...

Cool one about Pluto on there.

Clip
www.facebook.com/nytim...

0 |

Juries 'could enter virtual crime scenes' following research

Virtual reality technology used in the gaming industry could be adapted to recreate crime scenes for juries, researchers have claimed. A Staffordshire University project has experimented with technology and techniques to "transport" jurors to virtual crime scenes. Associate Prof of Forensics, Dr Caroline Sturdy Colls, said it was the first project of its kind in Europe. Staffordshire Police said it was "a concept" that could become significant.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-...

0 |

Samsung Showcases 4K UHD Display For VR

uploadvr.com/samsung-s...

0 |

you'll need an absolute monster to run that display but aye a 4K screen is definitely whats needed to elevate the whole pixel shit

0 |

Was chatting with someone a while back about the potential of VR music production (muzka?). Seems like there is definitely progress being made. Although it's still very basic, compared to the top end DAWs about currently (with their decades of development behind them), but this new VR DAW is showing the possibilities.

I could see the mainstream DAWs incorporating in a VR UI at some point in the future to allow for drumming, module wiring, maybe even visuals production, etc. Being able to reach out and 'touch' instruments/controls/mixers, without having to worry about switching a physical controller to control the right addon, for example. Visually setting up your own studio in the 3D space around you with VSTs/sequencers/effects modules (which are replicas of real world hardware, and equipment which wouldn't even be possible in the real world) will be awesome.

0 |

Anyone else read this and think what the fuck is a DAW

1 |

lol

imgur.com/RU9G1yo

0 |

Lucasfilm is making a virtual reality movie about Darth Vader

Industrial Light & Magic's immersive entertainment division is looking to some major Hollywood talent to create its next Star Wars virtual reality experience, and the lead character is as big as it gets. During a Star Wars Celebration panel, writer David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) joined ILM'x xLab team to announce that he's working on an original narrative VR experience that will let viewers join in and be part of the story — and the lead character is none other than Darth Vader.

www.theverge.com/2016/...

0 |

This sounds pretty cool...

"You are the visitor in this story that is happening in and around you, and to a certain extent you might even have some effect on [the narrative]," Goyer said. "You can pick up things, you can open things. You can push things, you can walk. You can touch characters." The experience will take place in a "persistent" world, one that cycles through day and night, has evolving weather conditions, and continues to go on even after the "visitor" has gone through the story for the first time.

0 |

Sounds class. Sounds like a walking simulator

0 |

Fucking hell. This looks amazing. If this is just the beginning of what's to come, VR is going to be unreal.

0 |

0 |

I'm trying not to watch too many game plays of vr games anymore until I actually get one. Most seem pretty short experience's and I kind of don't want to spoil them anymore.

0 |

Some pretty cool stuff tho to be fair. Can't wait.

0 |

it would appear the hype train for VR has stalled somewhat, im hoping PSVR really kicks the whole thing into gear

0 |

Kind of the same, sumguy. But with going to Asia for a month at the end of the year, there's no way I'll have one until maybe end of next year/when '2.0' versions are released, and by then there'll be tonnes of new, better content anyway.

The manufacturers of Vive/Rift have been concentrating on the logistics of actually delivering the products as demand has been so high. They're also working on the next versions (reports of maybe be a new Vive within a year). There is still loads of hype from users if you look though, there's just not the huge big budget hype coming from Oculus and HTC as there was before the inaugural product/industry launches.

0 |

Im not sure about that, think its just most people who really wanted vr already have a headset and the rest are kind of just waiting to see how the psvr stands up to the vive/rift for value. Would say many people like myself are hoping the pc headsets will get a price drop in and around the time psvr get released. but the lack of content argument is finally over as there seems to be new stuff every week coming out for vr. Think back to a console release and would say new vr experiences are coming out faster than any normal games do in a new console generation. Only thing missing now is a AAA developer making a proper AAA game for VR.

0 |

^^^ not really sure what rj said i mean.

0 |

Yeah, definitely agree on the AAA game side of things, although there are plenty of AAA 'experiences' out now which is probably the precursor to bigger content. I think the smaller experiences have been the building of the foundations for the tools to create the AAA titles, like the development of new engines, workflows, creation tools, ways of controlling things in game, etc. Plus there's bound to be some amazing stuff in the works at the likes of Valve. I mean, The Lab in itself has some amazing ideas and content, maybe they're working on the next Portal, Half-Life but for VR... *creams pants*

0 |

i'm talking about games, proper must haves... VR has yet to get its system seller

0 |

VR needs it's Mario/Zelda/Halo/Uncharted. Simple as that.

0 |

On August 6th, as a part of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival at the Prospect Park Bandshell, we're premiering The Hubble Cantata, the first free live event to fuse a major musical performance—featuring a 20-piece ensemble, a 100 person choir, and two Metropolitan Opera stars—with a Virtual Reality experience amidst a 360-degree sound installation.

www.kickstarter.com/pr...

0 |

0 |

0 |

uploadvr.com/vive-x-vr...

0 |

0 |

Fuck, these look amazing

0 |

0 |

Chep 5 star it up Gear VR - www.hotukdeals.com/dea...

0 |

2nd hand headset.

Yuck.

0 |

Says the guy who goes to sweaty, hairy, overcrowded, mosh pitting metal gigs ;p

0 |

Aye, but we're not swapping clothing ffs. lol

0 |

...just bodily fluids/excretions

0 |

I think your confusing concerts with brothels again.

0 |

I've heard what you heavy metellers get up to lad. Disgusting behaviour.

0 |

Syfy doing a VR series:

alcyon.syfy.co.uk

0 |

I'm ordering PSVR on the strength of the first half of this trailer (I stopped watching cus it looked so good I didn't want too much given away).

0 |

One of the guys who's channel I'm subscribed to on YouTube has a Vive and a Rift and he recently tried the PSVR and he was really impressed. He says that it's super exciting that the 'VR for the masses' is so good cuz it's going to get so many people into VR. He said that although the gfx/art style was maybe a bit more minimal (due to the limited power of the PS) he said it still worked really, really well. He also said that the FOV actually seemed better than the Vive/Rift and, even with trying, he couldn't really see any screen door with it.

0 |

Link to said video would be appreciated.

0 |

That trailer looked class, yeah most reports about the PSVR are excellent due in part to Sony's build quality, screen type and optics plus the review of drive club VR sounds incredible if paired with a steering wheel

0 |

0 |

Has anyone here actually got any VR headset yet?
Less than two weeks til I get mine. Am I really gonna be the first person on board here?

0 |

Was very close to preording but think I’ll hold off and see how it goes before dropping the cash on it plus I dare say there are few people who have pulled the trigger that could end up dumping it for one reason or another so may be able to snag one on the cheap

0 |

but id really need to demo it firsthand tbh, was hoping Game would've gotten a demo station

0 |