Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

They've started shipping so folks will be getting them soon. The Vive is 4/5th April, too.

The Vive actually looks great using it in an open space...

0 |

I've been switching back and forth between those qr settings. That vitech qr does seem to be sharper for definate, although it does something to the fov making for lines at either side

It's a work in progress.

That titans of space app is great though. You can't help but get carried away and imagine that in a few years time we'll be sitting on the spaceship next to Carl Sagan and he'll be narrating The Cosmos VR edition in 8k with a 270 fov

1 |

0 |

which cardboard headset would yous recommend? got some amazon crredit that needs spendin'
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref...

0 |

this wan seems aight www.amazon.co.uk/Cardb...

0 |

13 quids a bit steep for a bit of cardboard..

0 |

They are all pretty much the same, its only really a bit of craic for about half and hour and then youll never use it again.

1 |

I'd prob be the same with an occulus so bettet of just spending £13

0 |

www.amazon.co.uk/Andoe...

Might as well go plastic one for same price

1 |

Mine cost 93p with freepost from China

0 |

0 |

they really need to get this up and running on VR en.spaceengine.org

0 |

No trigger button on that one, sumguy. Makes it pretty useless for quite a few VR apps.

0 |

I prefer my cardboard to be non plastic iirc

0 |

The trigger never worked on the cardboard one I got either.

0 |

think i'm defo going to need prescription lenses inside any VR headset I use, great idea here, pity their kick starter failed, going to keep an eye on their site, vr-lens-lab.com

0 |

I see Sony said they are looking into making psvr compatible for PC in the future.

0 |

Couple of cool videos for you to watch in your Cardboard/headset (make sure you enable the Cardboard mode for the video):

Invasion! Sneak Peek 360 -
Great White Sharks 360 -

0 |

www.theguardian.com/te... Oculus Rift review roundup: VR wow factor despite high price
Angry Joe impressions

No touch controllers at launch is a bit mad, but generally favourable reviews.

0 |

Seems like it's been a really decent launch, especially for 1st gen hardware. They got so much right having a decent amount of titles for launch, and also doing a great job with the hardware itself. Don't think I've seen one bad word about the weight and design of the headset itself.

From watching quite a few videos of the Vive being used, I actually think it is quite a bit better a system. The accuracy of the tracking for the headset and controllers is incredible, and being able to move about on your feet apparently makes the experience so much better.

This year is going to be really interesting to see how things pan out.

0 |

Yea I watched a video of a boy using a vive and the way he was bending down picking up objects and throwing them was so fluid. Tho he did bang off the walls of the room and when reaching up to pick up high things he was smashing the roof.

0 |

Is there any good videos out that show each interface or 'OS' ? Would like to see how each device is controlled and what they offer outside games and how locked down they each are. Like if I bought a rift / vive how easy would it to play a free indie demo online from an independent site.

0 |

anyone picked up a vive yet? & if you have can I come round your Gaff for a gander at it?

0 |

0 |

This was done as an April fools, but there are actually quite a few videos which you can watch with Snoop in 360 on there - www.youtube.com/snoopa...

0 |

0 |

RJ, here's how you can sell the Vive to the better half...

0 |

Couple of things in this look great...

I was really impressed by this 3D VR version of a 'top-down' style shooter. It looks incredibly intuitive to play, too.

0 |

Has this been posted yet?

VR sex suit

www.unilad.co.uk/gamin...

0 |

www.pcgamer.com/oculus...

tracking every movement. as cool as the future is its kind of scary how much privacy is being given up.

0 |

Was having a look at the vr games on steam some pretty cool ideas and games out already. Only thing is they are all pretty steap. 30/40quid is OK for full games but from what I have seen from most of these vr games most are an hour or two bits of fun. The 30/40 quid price tag seems a bit high.

0 |

0 |

motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |

0 |

Award-Winning VR Films Hint at How Far the Medium Will Go

www.wired.com/2016/04/...

0 |

How Scary is the Paranormal Activity VR Game?

0 |

Have to admit watching people play the vive is the most interesting. When the box or whatever it was fell down the stairs in that last video the way they all jumped back to try to avoid it hitting their legs has to say something about how real it must feel. Also think the rift has kind of shot itself in the foot not releasing with controllers as the vives controls just seem to work so well. Im starting g to lean more towards the vive after seeing it in action. Still have some concerns on the size of room it needs to play tho.

0 |

Yeah, the Vive just seems like a far more polished and 'complete' system/package. It looks like great fun, too.

I've seen a lot of people try to lean on VR furniture and stuff in video too lol

0 |

Yeah a bit baffling they've released the Rift without the controllers. The familiarity of a gamepad would take away from the experience I'd imagine

In saying that, a few reviews I've seen say that when the rift has the controllers attached they work better than everything else, vive included

Must be true then

0 |

It'll be interesting to see what the Rift controllers are like, and also their implementation of room scale VR.

0 |

1 |

That makes it look pretty cool. How long before we have a game show on tv involving VR in that kind of way. almost like a really cool version of knightmare.

0 |

Exactly what I thought about TV. It could make the leap no problem.

0 |

I think the Vive has won me over now, too. It just looks great being able to stand and interact in such a familiar and natural way. It must be so immersive, too. I reckon my spare room might just have enough space for it...

0 |

Yea from what i have seen the vive wins. But that might be down to it being a bit harder to actually watch someone playing the rift. I have said before it would really come down to having the space. Would like to go down to a shop or something selling them to actually see in person how much space is really required for one.

0 |

Yeah would like to go to some event and try them all out. Read a few things on reddit about pax. Reviews on the psvr were very good.

0 |

Like I said guys take the cheaper PSVR option to rest the waters and have fun and let the big ones mature to second gen before dropping down the serious doe

0 |

0 |

www.theguardian.com/fi...

0 |

imgur.com/umYTJP1

0 |