Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

0 |

www.theverge.com/2016/...

0 |

This has pretty awesome possibilities...

uploadvr.com/realities...

0 |

Good wee video on the Vive setup process etc.

0 |

New Apollo 11 VR trailer

0 |

Takki.. what's the best apps/videos to showcase the just-slot-into-a-phone-yokes headset. heading to a family gathering tonight and im gonna take it with me to pass the time

0 |

Sorry lad, you're probably away. Grab a few and give them a whirl for the next time. The best ones often need the wee switch on the headset. Think there's maybe a list of decent ones in this thread somewhere.

0 |

Aye, there a couple of decent ones on page 1 of this thread. Headphone makes it far more immersive, also.

0 |

That photogramm stuff is pure class but I'd rather visit and explore shit I can't get a plane ticket too. The old Jackson choose your own adventure books would be fantastic in VR you could build incredibly detailed environments that you explore for clues, choose your exit and then sit by whilst a render to your next location plays meaning you don't require a massively powerful PC to have stunning visuals

0 |

Wonder if Cameron will release some stuff on VR to coincide with Avatar2 releasing virtual tours of Pandora on VR would be a big seller to the casual market and fuck knows he has all the assets already created

0 |

See Sony have came out and admitted psvr just won't be as good a vr experience as the rift. Kind of could tell that already, so hopefully they focus more on getting it out cheap and with loads of content to make up for lack of power.

0 |

Everyone and their dog knew the relatively weak CPU/GPU of a PS4 coupled to a 1080 VR screen hasn't a hope in hell of competing against a full blown gaming PC wired to a 2K screen but VR doesn't have to be about ultra realism and besides Sony have a fixed platform and Sony Worldwide studios plus a lower cost of entry.. I'll probably dip my toes with PSVR before deciding to blow the load on a proper VR solution

1 |

The headset went down a storm, everyone loved it, kids and adult alike, one of the drunk adults walked into a wall at one stage. just played a few rollercoaster videos and a few 'scary' ones off of youtube.

0 |

Agree with that, RJ. A lot of fun could be had with the PSVR and games in general won't have to be about ultr-realism.. but there will be the other side of VR where the experience will be about the ultra realism and the more power the better. I can see me skipping holidays in 2017 in favour of a monster PC unit with the RIFT, by that stage it will be cheaper, more refined and more content

0 |

Good stuff, Muzak. One of the things that amazes me is how VR spans generations in giving enjoyment. I've had my granny and great aunt using it and they thought it was brilliant, but if you were to show them a game on a computer/console, they'd not even bat an eyelid.

Did you do Chair in a Room? What headset have ye got, btw? I had a wee cardboard, but it was that we'll used it had started to fall apart and got another one to replace it but the lenses def aren't focused right. Got a couple of the plastic ones too, but they must be made for the Chinese and their wee noses, not my big neb.

0 |

anyone bought a gear vr yet?

0 |

Only way I'm going with vr is with PlayStation atm.

0 |

I've a destek one, sore on the nose alright. Hadn't any headphones with me and think somebody done the chair in a room towards the end of the night but there was some yank talking over it so I'm not sure if it was the right one or just a random YouTube video

It has reignited my interest in it, I plan to get a good go at it this week with headset

0 |

Think this sums up my concerns with the vive and reason if i had the spare grand in the bank i would probably be going with the rift. I have a spare room but its an odd shape and wouldn't work. Have a good sized living room but it would mean carting the pc into the living room every time i wanted to play something. Who really will have the space for a dedicated room that size just for vr? How long before the novelty of using the vive as cool as it is would be out-shadowed by the pain in the dick of moving the furniture out of the way.

0 |

I guess it whether you want to pay the extra to have the option of room scale content from the get go. There's no way I'd have the room for it, currently, so I could wait. But somewhere down the line it'd be good to have a setup that would let you walk about. I could maybe get rid of the dining room and just turn it into the VR room.

0 |

uploadvr.com/playstati...

0 |

nah i think it'll be PSVR for me as it'll be the cheaper option and less intrusive and then i'll wait till the Rift & Vive make it to Gen2 and for the new Pascal cards from Nvidia to hit and if my interest still holds and i want more realism then i'll jump on the PC bandwagon and turn my Garage into a holodeck

0 |

Imagine a few years down the line when you're playing VR and the graphics are like this...

0 |

Exactly Takki, with a huge increase in FOV, 4K special screens eliminating screendoor and eye tracking… ffs gaming will take on a whole new perspective and hopefully all in place for Elder Scrolls 6! The Tech now is very nice but the cost of entry for the PC versions is high and you just know that shit is gonna be revised in a year or so whereas the Sony effort is a fixed unit that’ll last for the length of the console

0 |

How much are you talking right now to buy a PC, from scratch that will handle anything the RIFT throws at it?

0 |

Your talking £500 for the Rift, so you’d need to factor in at least another £1000 possibly less and with PC’s being PC’s you’ll be wanting to stick those graphics on High to Ultra and to maintain 90fps yer talking at least a 980GTX / Ti at £400 to £500 for the card alone so it all adds up. We’ll find out the price of PSVR soon at GDC I think.

0 |

£700 would get you a decent PC well capable of the Rift.

I'd expect the prices of GFX cards to come down a bit once the VR units are 'out', plus there are a few new technologies in GFX card tech on the near horizon which will drop the price of current cards even more. In a year or so, I'd say a Rift capable PC will be possible for about £500.

0 |

Also, some PC chat would make you think you need to upgrade your PC regularly to be able to play latest games. But, for reference, I 'upgraded' my PC in Nov 2011 (pretty much all new internals, but could keep things like the monitor, hard-drives, periferals etc) and I spent about £650, but it still handles pretty much most things I try, and I should get another year or two out of it (unless I want to upgrade for VR).

0 |

When VR comes out , there will be an increased demand for high end graphics cards.
I can;t see an increase in demand resulting in a drop in price.

1 |

Here's a PC build which could handle the Rift and it's coming in at £627.53 - uk.pcpartpicker.com/us...

From this thread on reddit - www.reddit.com/r/oculu...

0 |

Dont think it'll play out that way, Wayne. It's not an increase in demand due to low supply or new tech. There will be a mixture of newer cards/tech coming out over the next year, meaning the baseline for VR capable cards will become more affordable, and also to entice and help with the uptake of VR (VR is a great thing for GFX card companies also, so they will do what they can to make it take off).

Also, with so many people considering or wanting to upgrade, there will more than likely be a bit of a price war in and around the VR spec cards by the manufacturers to get the sales.

0 |

"Overall upshot could be a near doubling of gaming graphics performance…or today’s performance at roughly half the cost"

2016 Will Be Great For Gamers: Part 1, Graphics

www.rockpapershotgun.c...

0 |

Never really looked into putting a PC together but it's something i'll start researching. had a look at some gaming monitors.. eesh! pricey fuckers

0 |

You don't really need a 'gaming' monitor, tbh.

Normal monitors will have a refresh rate of 60-70 Hz, a response of around 2-5ms, have a resolution of 1080 and cost around £110 for 24'. These are fine in the vast majority of situations. I use one for everything from Skyrim (slower screen visuals/movements) to CSGO (fast screen visuals/movements). I would like a 144Hz, but it's not a necessity.
Gaming monitors will have up to 1080, ~1ms response time, 144Hz refresh rate and cost around £200 for 24'. People who are well into their online FPS tend to like these as they are best for fast action and targeting.
Then you go up to monitors with 4K resolutions, but you'll then need a ridiculous PC to power games at those resolutions.

0 |

If your buying a gaming monitor you'd be mad to not buy at least a 1440p

1 |

"I can;t see an increase in demand resulting in a drop in price."

This happens frequently in complex electronics though - the expanded supply chain can sometimes push prices down.

0 |

I'm with RJ on the resolution front there. Seems pointless to get into PC gaming in at this stage and not be looking to benefit from resolutions higher than 1080p.

0 |

RJ Macready • 5 minutes ago
If your buying a gaming monitor you'd be mad to not buy at least a 1440p

By the time 4K graphics are affordable on PC, 1440p gaming monitors will also be dirt cheap/mainstream, so just get one then. At the minute, 1440p 144Hz monitors are anywhere from £400 - £500 for a 27'. Why buy a 4k monitor if you're not going to play at 4K? Unless you're going to sit and watch 4K video on your computer, but most would probably rather have a 4K TV to watch video on, if they really want to enjoy 4K video.

0 |

Sorry, QHD not 4K.

0 |

No wonder you're 2011 PC is still doing the job m8, you're still running at 2011 standard resolution!

0 |

- my 2011 PC has stood the test of time
- what you playing?
- Skyrim in 1080p

- lulz

0 |

To be fair, I've no need/want to go above 1080 really. It looks fine on a 24' monitor and on my TV in the living room, it's fine too viz Steam In-Home Streaming (its max 1080 I think anyway). Plus, you'd get more value/bang-for-the-buck putting the money you'd save on the monitor into the PC, especially if you're going to be going the VR route.

But this coming from an Xbox owner, too..

lulz ;p

0 |

Ridiculous is what i'm aiming for, takki. might as well get something that's gonna be useful for years to come

www.amazon.com/Acer-B2... something like that youd think could be around the £250 mark in 18 months time

0 |

lol ah right, def fill your boots then if money isn't much of a worry. But if you are wanting to go the VR route, an extra £200 saved on a monitor could make a decent step up in the PCs graphical power (e.g. Nvidia GTX 980 Superclocked, as opposed to a GTX 970)... or you could also put the money saved to actually buying the VR headset, too.

0 |

the snippet below is from an article i was reading on 3.com which ties in with what was my next question
- is it a viable option to hook the PC up to a 4k TV, why exactly are 27" monitors the same price as some 4k TVs, refresh rate? would there be a major difference when playing a FPS in 60 or 144Hz

"Philips sells a 40-inch 4K PC monitor - which I love - but at over £600 it's expensive and also pretty tricky to get hold of. You can though pick up a Seiki 42-inch 4K TV for around £300. It comes with HDMI 2.0 so you can hit 3,840 x 2,160 at 60Hz, but with terrible upscaling it makes for a pretty poor teIe. But as a cheap 4K gaming monitor running at its native res its pretty good."

0 |

i played some Crysis3 on my laptop in 4K on my 55" UHD Sony and it looked and played incredible, no noticeable naffink just jaw droppingly sharp graphics

0 |

144Hz does make a pretty viable improvement with games which have fast moving action (e.g. FPSs), but most comparisons say you dont notice it hugely when going from 60Hz to say 120Hz/144Hz, it's only when you had a monitor with a higher refresh rate then you go back to a 60Hz that you *really* notice it and even find it off putting. Plus, you can only really get the benefit of >60Hz if the computer can pump out a comparable FPS rate. If you've got a mid-high end PC and are running 4K graphics, you may not even be getting steady 60FPS, so having a monitor that does 144Hz isn't going to give better results.

Check out these YouTube vids from folks I think give decent info:

60 Hz VS 120 Hz Monitors -

Are TVs as good as Monitors for Gaming? 144Hz Monitor vs 120Hz TV -

0 |

Ps VR out October priced £349

0 |

At that price if i already owned a ps4 i would pick it up day 1 just out of curiosity. Will be interesting to see how much the games will cost as many of the games i have watched people play are short experiences. Hopefully its like a ps+ free vr games of the month type thing. Most of the stuff i have seen so far doesn't even seem worth a tenner. Unless they allow some app to turn normal games into vr style.

It could do very well coming up to christmas its the perfect price for many kids main present.

0 |

ooo thats a nice price for PSVR.. think ill be avin that plus i already own the camera

0 |