Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

The test simply checks your CPU, RAM, USB, gfx card and OS. It's not some demo. Mine failed on CPU and USB.

0 |

PC specs required for Rift.

graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
processor: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
memory: 8GB+ RAM
output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
input: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
operating system: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

0 |

Mice failed on CPU, GFX card and USB, though the USB could probably be fixed with drivers(?) as they are USB 3.0 ports. My CPU bog standard might not meet the spec, but with it's overclock it gives the same or better performance as the recommended CPU. So just a GFX card needed I'd say.

0 |

Wish it had of been some kind of benchmark test, rather than just checking what you have. Would say the only thing lettings me down is my gfx card.

0 |

ran the benchmark good to go, I notice though it says it won't ship until May

0 |

First ones ship in March, apparently. Waiting list is based on first come, first served, so it's maybe up to May now.

0 |

Ask Me Anything with Palmer Lucky (founder OculusVR / spokesperson for Oculus) on reddit

www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/...

0 |

Google Cardboard (clone) for 87p delivered - www.hotukdeals.com/dea...

Samsung Gear VR With Free Delivery for £79.95 @ John Lewis - www.hotukdeals.com/dea...

0 |

www.wired.com/2016/01/...

0 |

0 |

I have a google cardboard. Good for getting an idea of basic VR. Some interesting wee apps. It's impressive enough to make me consider investing in at least the VR for ps4.

2 |

0 |

www.psmag.com/nature-a...

0 |

0 |

0 |

good looking and v cheap VR headset £6 delivered and payable via paypal www.gearbest.com/home-...

0 |

www.theriftarcade.com/...

0 |

www.vrguru.com/the-voi...

0 |

0 |

kernelmag.dailydot.com...

0 |

Google is reportedly releasing a VR headset this year

There were hints that Google was interested in making virtual reality hardware, and now some of the first details of that gear seem to be trickling out. Financial Times sources claim that Google's first true VR headset is effectively a more open rival to Samsung's Gear VR -- you slot in a phone from your brand of choice into a plastic housing that has its own movement sensors. It's miles above Cardboard, according to the tip. If the leak is accurate, you'd see it arrive sometime this year... alongside software that could be just as (if not more) important to the experience.

The same insiders claim that Google is baking VR into Android itself, rather than relying on third-party apps like Cardboard does today. This wouldn't just make support easier, but would fight common VR problems like lag -- the smaller the delay, the less likely you are to be nauseous after a prolonged session. Google hasn't confirmed either the Android VR support or the hardware, but it wouldn't be shocking to get at least a sneak peek at this technology at Google I/O in May.

www.engadget.com/2016/...

0 |

0 |

lol.. I struggle to look at motherboard/vice tweets anymore without thinking it's actually from -

0 |

0 |

0 |

www.gamespot.com/artic...

If this is a spoof its a good one. Perfect way to introduce VR to the masses.

0 |

Also the vive on steam is 990 Euros on steam for me after tax. It would need to drop by more than half for me to be interested.

0 |

0 |

i.imgur.com/NI3fyU4.gifv

0 |

How embarrassing would it be if you where playing that game and a load of fellas came in and where walking around you

0 |

How embarrassing would it be if you were playing that game and your ma walked in.

0 |

Trying to explain it lol

0 |

How embarrassing would it be if you walked in on your da playing it.

0 |

...and your ma sitting in the corner watching.

0 |

Definitely getting one now

1 |

I now have the room to get the valve one so may just go with the one instead of the PSVR and

0 |

It's hard to say, I like the fact that the PC one will be open but the PSVR will simply work out of the box, can see the valve one requiring game tweaks and all sorts of shenanigans as you try to maximise visual quality

0 |

I just can't see the vive doing well in its current form. How many people have a spare room just for vr. Its the same problem as kinect. Also every video I have seen cable management is done by a separate person making sure the player doesn't trip. Seen one with a person with a PC stapped to his back but it looked uncomfortable. Its a good idea but think I would rather just sit on a chair to play games.

0 |

Sitting down is far better, can't say I'd be happy standing up and walking around with cables about the place not to mention with PC VR you'll always be chasing the latest GFXcard upgrade as the visuals keep ramping up whereas PSVR will be fixed which means the dev's will simply get smarter and more resourceful with their games

0 |

The Rift and Vive shouldn't need loads of farting about with, unless you're playing about with smaller dev stuff, betas, hacks of non VR games and things. Anything that's released and endorsed by Oculus and Valve will be ready to go (albeit depending on your machines stability/setup, etc).

It'll be interesting to see what way things go with the two devices over time. Rift should have a lot more content on release, but Valve have been quiet about what they have for release (HL3/Portal 3 ;). A lot of stuff will probably work fine with both, though.

0 |

The whole walking about thing with the Vive is a feature they've pushed (as it is something which Oculus isn't 'pushing'), but it's not it only way of being used. You'll still be able to sit and play 'Oculus' games (e.g. the ones being bundled with the Rift) with the Vive and any other sort of VR game.

Oculus Rift will also have the ability for walking about too, anyway, it's just they're not really pushing that as their main selling point - vrfocus.com/archives/2...

0 |

The fact we're so close to launch and these questions still answered, sort of concerns me.
I feel like we're gonna be paying to beta test this.

0 |

1 |

TBF, of all the 'new tech' that has came out in the past 10-15 years, the road to release for VR has been extremely well documented, tested and developed for. When the first iPhone came out (arguably the first mainstream smartphone), 1. nobody knew what to expect 2. it was full of bugs 3. it hadn't been seen or touched by the public 4. there was no real 'content' - it was a glorified phone really 5. it was pretty shite (when you look back 2-3 years later)

VR has shown what it is capable of, it has been transparent in the development, there is tonnes of content available already, it has huge backers in the tech industries, the beta testing has been done (thanks to the 2 versions of dev kits released)...

I think it will be a bit niche for the first couple of years (high price, etc), but over the first couple of years after the hardware will be refined, the content will be improved, the price points will come down, and then, a couple of years after that, it'll be mainstream, albeit in maybe the mobile form (smartphones in headsets, like Gear VR, Google Cardboard, etc), then you'll have the gamers and things who'll have the more powerful sets for gaming (whether on consoles or PC... or maybe the console/PC will merge, as that's what Microsoft/Xbox is apparently considering).

0 |

In fairness this has happened with every new technology. Early adopters pay the price and iron out any kinks. Once all the problems are worked out in the first year or so it will come down to who can do it cheapest and get in into as many homes as possible first.

0 |

Ultimate proof that I am now an expert on all things VR:

0 |

But sometimes a slow uptake can kill it. If there's not enough people get on board early, then there's no incentive for Devs to make content for it. And if there's no content, then people don't get on board. And it dies.

0 |

What comment, Matthew?

0 |

There is plenty of people on board already, though. Pre-orders for both units sold out in minutes. Gear VR is selling well, Google Cardboard is extremely popular, Sony has yet to open sales for theirs. Then there's the applications of VR for industry, education, entertainment (not gaming) like watching sporting events like you're on the touchline, music concerts, there's the whole social aspect of it (Facebook), etc. The market is fucking huge.

0 |

I call VR. Small monitor head strap viewer. It's not virtual, and it's not reality until they plug you in through back of your skull matrix style.

0 |