Choose a discussion

Virtual Reality

Tried searching for that other thread, but couldn't get any results, so will fire VR stuff in here.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum building behind VR, and it only seems to be getting more and more interest.

"YouTube will soon add a feature that will support 360-degree videos"
echrekon.com/youtube-s...

"After a year of experiments, Hollywood has begun to embrace virtual reality as a potentially lucrative part of its future. 21st Century Fox has crafted an immersive clip using the film Wild, while Time Warner's HBO has created a similar experience with Game of Thrones."
www.stuff.co.nz/techno...

0 |

dudes -what's the best VR stuff for cardboard/dodocase?

0 |

This is really good. Just be sure to have a Cardboard with the magnetic switch and also get earphones/headphones rocking. Genuinely scared me silly a couple of times.

0 |

need links takki

0 |

Doh! Here's the one I was talking about - lay.google.com/store/a...

I'll post links to a few others, too.

0 |

Crazy Swing VR - lay.google.com/store/a...

Titans of Space - lay.google.com/store/a...

Froggy VR - lay.google.com/store/a...

Tuscany VR - lay.google.com/store/a...

Kaiju Fury - lay.google.com/store/a...

0 |

If you search the app store for 'jaunt' you get more apps to try. And also search for 'VR'. There are a lot of shite apps, but there are plenty of decent ones, too. Seems to be a lot of new ones that weren't out the last time I was planning about. Might get my Cardboard out again to try some of them out.

0 |

Exclusive: SMI Showcases Foveated Rendering With New 250Hz Eye Tracking Kit

uploadvr.com/smi-eye-t...

0 |

Also, HTC/Vive/Valve going to be announcing something at CES which they claim is going to be pretty important in terms of the VR hardware.

0 |

NASA wants to give everyone the chance to journey to Mars... via virtual reality

www.sciencealert.com/n...

0 |

motherboard.vice.com/r...

0 |

The 2nd gen VR units with 4K screens & eye tracking is when it'll all kick off tbf, i think thats when i'll jump on if I'm not tempted by a blind purchase of PSVR, even with the 2K screen of my note4 you can still see the pixels quite noticeably as well but that foveated rendering tech is the dogs balls and will really kick off in the next year or two.

The sheer potential for crazy immersive gaming is nuts, can't imagine how fucking cool the next Skyrim would be like utilising VR

0 |

It's hard to know what's going on with the main VR players at mo. Both are delaying releases. A lot of people who've tried them say they both work really well, but then again, they're holding them back? Who knows the real reasons why. There may be some new tech that has come along that they've just realised should really be in them, so they going to delay, rather than put out a version which is only going to surpassed within 12 months or less/be subpar and potentially make VR look 'bad'. I've been reading a fair bit about how they really want to make this initial release of VR hardware something great, as it is super important for the future of VR.

I was watching a YouTube video of a guy who had tried both, though he said when he tried the CV Oculus and the controllers they worked amazingly well. This is the video. It's a bit long, but if you flick through, you can probably get the jist of it.

0 |

evolution of vrse is still my favorite cardboard app. Find it hard to look at the train coming right at you. lay.google.com/store/a...

0 |

Have you tried Chair in a Room? I let my sister try it over Xmas there and she near shat herself. It's a brilliant one for showing folks the great immersion potential of VR. Headphones/earphones are a must, though.

0 |

have you gotten the new Google cardboard V2 yet? id love one that straps to your noggin...

0 |

www.amazon.co.uk/Updat...

0 |

I got a plastic one that straps on and has better optics and stuff, but the nose cutout was clearly made with Chinese noses in mind as after wearing it for about 5 minutes it starts to hurt my big pointy snout.

1 |

I'm gonna buy PlayStation VR on day 1 without trying first because I'm a total dickhead!

1 |

Buy 2 sure.

0 |

I am kind of glad in a way they are putting it off. Worst thing they could do is bring out a new tech that is going to be pretty niche to begin with, and it not being as impressive as thought.

Even tho it could go the other way too, if they hold of too long the hype is going to die off.

0 |

Yeah. As long as they get it right, I don't mind delays too much. From what I've seen and read I think it should good well. Loads of developers are making VR stuff for the future and there should be plenty on release, the tech does appear to be working pretty good even at the minute and there seems to be a reasonable amount of interest to at least create acceptable sales. There'll always be the odd negative/pessimistic borebegs who try to put something new down, but that happens with everything, especially something like this which needs a bit of imagination to see what could come in a couple of years time.

All you gotta do is look at what smartphone tech was like 5 years ago and what it's like today and you can begin to imagine how much VR could take off in no time with the right release and development. It should be fucking huge tbf.

0 |

Yea its all about realistic expectations . obviously I want it to be perfect at launch like strapping a ultra HD TV to my face and getting lost in a virtual world for days on end forgetting I have a hedset on. But realistically it probably going to be fairly basic things at the start and I'm sure it will be hard to get used to having something strapped to your face. But its still really cool. And if you look at how far gaming has come in the last 20 years, as long as vr catches on at the start we are looking at some cool shit in 5 years time.

0 |

Just announced...

Oculus Rift Pre-Orders to Open on January 6

www.oculus.com/en-us/b...

0 |

Damm its my birthday on Wednesday, don't think I could be cheeky enough to ask anyone to get me one.

0 |

I find I get pretty absorbed into the best of the Cardboard apps, so I've got pretty good expectations for the consumer versions of the proper VR hardware. Just need to see what the mula status is like as I will need a new gfx card (about £240 at moment) along with a headset. I'm hoping the gfx cards will drop a bit in price in a effort to get the sales when the demand increases.

0 |

Yea I'm the same

0 |

There'll probably be some teething issues also to get ironed out, so I'm not too worried about getting in straight away or anything.

0 |

Fuck! This is pretty sound!!

1 |

With FaceyB's unlimited bank account this is a smart move

0 |

Yea it makes sense for them to do that. Great publicity, gets the newest versions into indie devs hands asap to get them making games asap. Seen a hedline only 1% of user PCs are vr ready according to nvidia. Wonder how quickly that will change once they start shipping the rift.

0 |

I'd say over the next year/6 months after the VR headsets are released the prices of the gfx cards which they recommend will drop in price a fair bit as the market will get pretty competitive to win the customers who are wanting to upgrade for VR, plus there's new chips and tech to come out pretty soon too which should make upgrading for VR less of a hit on the wallet.

It will be interesting to see what VR benchmarks show for lesser gfx cards when the headsets are released, too. It might be that some lesser cards with overclocking can handle VR anyway.

0 |

0 |

managed to slip another sixty quid into the old vr fund over Christmas, still dunno what imma going for yet, not really a great selevtion of games compatible yet, elite seems to be about the only title that would interest me at the mo.3

0 |

Not on pc at the moment, but pretty sure steam now lists games that are vr compatible have seen a good few that are ready.

0 |

What was HTC's "very, very big technological breakthrough" with the Vive then?

0 |

It has a camera so you can see in front you with out having to take the headset off. But it will also allow you to bring real life objects into games.

0 |

lol.

0 |

$600 then

0 |

Matthew trying his hardest to make out like HoloLens is amazing because it doesn't need a camera.

1 |

Is that what I was doing? Or was I just laughing at HTC's bullshit hype. Do you see this as some sort of very strict AR vs VR playground battle takki?

0 |

I thought the camera was to sense walls and objects of the room so you don't collide. They show up as blue boundaries in your VR world.

0 |

jesus looks like the rift is gonna be about £300 more than I was expecting to pay, VR on the back burner for me for a while.

0 |

£500 quid for rift and all Q1 stock sold within 10mins.

0 |

March 28th was the first batch release date, was it not?

0 |

Preorders, expected release March

0 |

Aye, but I mean if March 28th is the release date, "Q1" is basically only 3 days worth of sales, so not that big a problem. But I see it's out now pushed out to May.

0 |

Almost double the price they had hinted at last year. Definitely won't be getting one straight away now.

0 |

Out of my reach at that money too. I just bought a new bike too, so it'll have to wait. Hopefully the price will drop fairly quickly anyway + when we do get our hands on it there'll be plenty of content and probably even better implementation. GHB.

0 |

Anyone downloaded the test from the rift site? What's it check? Won't be near my computer for a few days to try it.

0 |

No, but I'll be on the computer later and will give it a whirl.

0 |